Quantcast

GS7 Audio Settings

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by Travel, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Travel

Travel Active Member

Just doing the settings on a new GS7. After Catfish brought it to attention, I got one at Best Buy for $149, and cancelled the $199 GS8 order.

Looking for help on the audio settings (the Revue doesn't have these detailed audio settings):

I have Yamaha YAS-101 sound bar: left, right and a built-in sub woofer, hooked-up to the GS7 via digital optical audio-out port; ethernet to a Fios phone modem; high speed HDMI from the GS7 to the Fios box and the same to a Toshiba HDTV HDMI-in port.

I'd like to know, in the "Picture and Sound" settings:

1) "Audio Pass-Through": "on" or "off"

2) "Audio Output (HDMI)": "Auto" or "PCM"

3) "Audio Outout (Optical)": "Check" or "Uncheck"

4) "Audio DRC": "On" or "off"

5) "AV Sync": best position?

Thanks.

2. Travel

Travel Active Member

Any general suggestions? Doesn't have to be correct, just wondering if PCM IS better with this set-up; that kinda thing.

3. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Not sure what apps you stream from? (like Netflix, vudu ..etc .. or just the TV app? )

anyway, you have two settings options w/the soundbar, PCM or Dolby (exclude DTS, unless you're streaming from media apps/server or hdmi-in passthrough).

Setting GS7 to PCM: (GS7 transcode DD/DD+ to PCM)
    From Settings > Picture & sound > Audio output (Optical) > "check box" ..... (to activate optical port)
    From Settings > Picture & sound > Audio output (HDMI) > PCM ........(to transcode DD&DD+ to PCM)
    From Settings > Picture & sound > Audio pass-through > On ........ (to include all native sounds)

4) "Audio DRC": "On" or "off"? It doesn't matter (it effectives only DD/DD+ but not PCM)
    5) "AV Sync"? Only move the slider as needed,(if there is a delay between the sound & the picture).

Setting GS7 to Dolby Digital: (GS7 encodes/bitstream DD then soundbar decodes DD)
    From Settings > Picture & sound > Audio output (Optical) > "check box" ..... (to activate optical port)
    From Settings > Picture & sound > Audio output (HDMI) > Auto ........(to output native audio format)
    From Settings > Picture & sound > Audio pass-through > Off ........ (encodes DD+ to Dolby Digital)

4) "Audio DRC": "On" or "off"? "On" for like night listening (it only affects DD/DD+ but not PCM)
    5) "AV Sync"? Only move the slider as needed (if there is a delay between the sound & the picture).

Fyi, DD+ = Dolby Digital Plus (from Netflix or Vudu apps).

Btw, make sure your Fios box is set to output DD (to get surround sound).

have fun ... :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Travel

Travel Active Member

Thanks, appreciate that.

With the sound bar, I wasn't sure of the capabilities. With the Revue, the sound bar indicator read "DTS"/Dolby Digital." Now, with the GS7, the sound bar indicator reads "Pro Logic 2." It's just difficult for me to determine the optimal potential. I was thinking along the lines of, regardless of the sound bar reading, maybe my set-up is only capable of stereo.

5. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

First of all, when Revue is set to "Dolby Digital" (via optical), it always outputs "Dolby Digital" signal regardless of what native audio is (it may not be the real deal). :)

However, GS7 has lots of audio options & it does it properly.

Now, the sound bar indicator should also read "Dolby Digital" with GS7 when:

• The channel/app outputs "Dolby Digital" (DD) or "Dolby Digital Plus"(DD+)
    • Audio settings as follow:
    Setting GS7 to Dolby Digital:
    From Settings > Picture & sound > Audio output (Optical) > "check box"
    From Settings > Picture & sound > Audio output (HDMI) > Auto
    From Settings > Picture & sound > Audio pass-through > Off

To get optimal potential, try the above settings ( with 2 ch PCM or 2 ch Dolby content and with 5.1 Dolby Digital or 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus content) & report back.

also, list GS7 settings & Fios box(make/model) settings and what/ & from where you streaming?

and, also try these settings ( with 2 ch PCM or 2 ch Dolby content and with 5.1 Dolby Digital or 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus content)
    Setting GS7 to PCM:
    From Settings > Picture & sound > Audio output (Optical) > "check box"
    From Settings > Picture & sound > Audio output (HDMI) > PCM
    From Settings > Picture & sound > Audio pass-through > On

btw, to test Vudu 5.1 Dolby Digital or 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus - see this link

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Travel

Travel Active Member

Thanks.

Okay, should I take it to mean that, with the Dolby-settings you listed in place, the sound bar indicator will change back and forth between "Dolby" and "Pro Logic 2," depending on the content being played: e.g., TV mode to Netflix app/Vudu app?

Or, is it a case where the setting should be changed (or may be changed in the interest of optimal potential) depending on the content? E.g.: switch back and forth between PCM settings and Dolby settings on the GS7 for various apps/TV mode to see which settings work the best for those same content providers?

I have a FiOS box model: Cisco- CHS435HDC. The FiOS box audio settings have the options of: "mono," "stereo" or "surround" I have it on "surround" (there's no specific word: "Dolby," in the settings). Also: the compression settings options are "off," "light" and "heavy." I checked "off." From what I've Googled on this, to have it "on," just inhibits the natural range of volume in say a movie (which is what one doesn't want), but will lower the "volume explosion" of a TV commercial. Better to leave this "off" for most use, and just use the mute button for TV commercials. The Sound bar has a similar feature on the remote called "Uni Volume," that just tends to lower "sound impact" in general, and I don't use it.

Note: I tried connecting the sound bar (there is no HDMI port on the sound bar) to the FiOS box's digital optical port and the sound bar indicator showed "DTS/Dolby Digital." However, although the TV mode sound worked, when in Chrome mode or Netflix, i was getting the audio from the TV program. The FiOS box has only one HDMI port, which is of course connected to the GS7.

Note: The Comcast box I've had in the past had the "Dolby" and "DTS" logos right on the front of the box. The current FiOS box has no logos at all. I'll call FiOS about these things. Not much info on this in the FiOS manual.

In The Toshiba HDTV audio settings:

In "Optical Output Format" I have it on "Dolby Digital." (the other option is "PCM")

In "HDMI Audio" I have it on "Digital." The other options are "Analog" or "Auto. Maybe this setting should be "Auto" because I'm using a Digital Optical audio cable and not HDMI from the sound bar.

But then, are the Toshiba HDTV audio settings irrelevant because the sound is coming through the sound and bar not the native TV speakers?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  7. Travel

Travel Active Member

Okay, I just checked a few things. I see what you mean about the Revue always being on "Dolby Digital output," even given the fact that it's not always playing "Dolby Digital" content, and the GS7 adjusts the output appropriately to the actual content.

With the settings, above, on the GS7, the sound bar indicator changes with the content.

On the Netflix app, before playing a movie, the sound bar indicator is on "Pro Logic 2" ("Surround playback of 2ch stereo signal input"). Then, when actually playing a movie on Netflix, listed as 5.1 audio, the sound bar indicator changes to "Dolby Digital."

In regular TV mode, it's similar: on a cable news channel, the sound bar indicator is on "Pro Logic 2," but when switching to National Geographic HD, the sound bar indicator is on "Dolby Digital."

From my own perception (yes, a small sampling of content so far): although the Revue produced pretty good sound with the Yamaha sound bar set-up, the GS7 seems to produce enhanced sound; it seems to have deeper bass rumble, more significant sound separation, and sharper "voice."

Haven't registered on Vudu yet. Should be interesting because, from what I understand, Vudu has the best audio for streaming content.

• Like Like x 2
  8. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Looks like you'll do fine w/this audio stuff … :)

Yes.
    FYI, “TV mode” has no relation to streaming apps (e.g., TV Netflix app/Vudu) - “TV mode” is only for playback from devices connected via GS7’s hdmi-in port (hdmi passthrough).

No need to switch back and forth between PCM settings and Dolby settings. However we just need to make sure either one of these settings you choose is set correctly to achieve optimal potential.

The above [(b) Setting GS7 to PCM] is just an additional audio setting option instead of [(a) Setting GS7 to Dolby Digital]. And since the soundbar is capable of handling incoming Dolby Digital & PCM signals and GS7 encodes/transcodes DD+ to DD, also all GTV apps outputs only PCM, DD, DD+ at this time, choosing (a) or (b) settings is just a matter of sound taste. (unless you run to issues with (a) settings or decided to connect a blue-ray player (HD audio) to GS7’s hdmi-in then switch to (b) settings instead of (a)).

FiOS box settings:

• "surround" is good (I believe its “Dolby Digital”)
    • “compression” “Off” is Ok (its equal to "Audio DRC" in GS7)

Sounbar settings: "Uni Volume" “not used” is OK (its equal to "Audio DRC" in GS7)

All FiOS box (audio output) ports (e.g., Optical, hdmi, analog) are simultaneously active. So, it’s OK to connect FiOS box to soundbar via optical while connecting FiOS box to GS7 via HDMI. (by switching audio source on the soudbar’s remote (TV, BD/DVD or STB).
    However, no really need to connect FiOS box to soundbar via optical since the audio signal should pass to GS7 over hdmi. Your setup should be as in this “Figure(10)”.

Are you saying that when you stream from Netflix (or Chrome) there is no audio? Instead, you’re getting the audio from FiOS box (TV program)? If so, it shouldn’t.
    (while in “TV mode” press “menu” key & post the available options or turn off STB & try it & report back…

I usually don’t count on logos ;)… it looks like the FiOS box outputs Dolby Digital when set to “surround”.

Yes. Toshiba HDTV audio settings are irrelevant in that case because the TV is not connected to the soundbar via optical. (i.e., Figure (6))

Btw, i didn't mention this before, disable “Sound effects” in GS7 – (From Settings > Picture & sound > “Sound effects”)

To make sure of optimal potential, (when you have a chance), run some tests w/(a) & (b) settings like:

• Vudu 5.1 Dolby Digital or 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus - see this link
    • or, Stream from Netflix a movie/show with[5.1] and w/o [5.1] & post the sound bar indicator results (& the title name).
    • Rrom FiOS box a 5.1 audio TV program & 2.0 audio TV program.

9. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Some how I missed this post ... but looks like you got it ... :D

Yes, revue audio (via optical & hdmi) is not a standard.

You may also try (b) PCM setting (on GS7) w/Netflix [5.1] content & listen to how it sounds.

Fyi, Netflix app outputs native audio as Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) (@Max bitrate (audio) 384Mbps ) and GS7 PCM transcode (w/ Audio pass-through > On) may include DD+ sound vs (a) settings that may strip DD+ down to DD legacy.

Anyway, generally people like sound when decoded by AVR (instead of the player feeding it multi-ch PCM) regardless of what's missing ... ;)

Btw, make sure "Netflix Video Quality" is set to "Best" (in your acc).
    also, you don't have to have a Vudu account to test this ...

Enjoy it ... :)

10. Travel

Travel Active Member

Great, thanks for the awesome help on this.

I did the Vudu test, using the "fig 10" set-up as we've been discussing.

With "The Hobbit," "The Pirates..." and "Punisher," played on the trailers, none of them gave the option of SD, HD or HDX. After clicking the trailer, they started and all flashed an "SD" icon in the upper right side of the screen. The sound bar indicator was on "Pro Logic 2" for all three.

However, I tried the new movie with Johnny Depp "The Lone Ranger," and after clicking the trailer, the control bar gave the options of SD HD or HDX. I tried all three options: the sound bar indicator was on "Pro Logic 2" for the SD version, but the sound bar indicator switched to "Dolby Digital" for the HD and HDX versions of the trailer.

The trailer in HDX sounded great, best I've ever heard in streaming.

Connecting the sound bar optical cable to the FiOS box still isn't working out too well. It still only produces the sound content from whatever TV program channel is currently on, whether in TV mode, Chrome or the Netflix app.. This is after trying out the the "input" options on the sound bar remote and putting the GS7 settings both "on" and "off" in the "pass through" setting.

But, if connecting the sound bar to the GS7 is the best set-up anyway, then it's okay.

With the PCM set-up, as long a it's a subjective alternative, I'm thinking that I'll get used to the "Dolby" set-up for a while, and pick out certain content for comparison, then try PCM so as to maybe get a better perception of which sounds better.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  11. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Vudu has two options, "2 Min Preview" and "Trial", btw.

• "2 Min Preview" should ask, SD, HD or HDX. (here)
    • "Trial" is only in SD.

Actually, that's how direct audio output from FiOS box (to soundbar) over optical works. :)

• Audio output from FiOS box to soundbar via Optical has no relation to GS7 (or the TV).
    • Audio output from FiOS box to soundbar via Optical is always active.
    • Audio output from FiOS box to GS7 (then soundbar) via HDMI is always active

You currently have two separate audio sources going to the soundbar (one from FiOS box and the other from GS7):

• FiOS box > Optical > soundbar ............ (any changes in GS7 will have no affect on FiOS box - this audio setup is only for FiOS box (& its not needed) - it will only produces the sound content from whatever TV program channel is currently on, whether in TV mode, Chrome or the Netflix app).

• FiOS box > HDMI > GS7 > Optical > soundbar ............ (any changes in GS7 will affect GS7&FiOS box - this is the best audio set-up for GS7+ FiOS box).

* The "input" options on the soundbar remote just switches between the two (simultaneously/ separate) incoming audio signals to the soundbar.

* As fare as the GS7's "pass through" setting, well it may sounds confusing. However, it only affects "Dolby Digital Plus" signal from GS7 apps (& possibly incoming DD+ signal from GS7's hdmi-in). When GS7 set to "Auto & "pass through" is set to "On" means pass DD+ through (or bitstream DD+) to AVR (to be decoded), but when is set to "Off" means encode DD+ to DD (in GS7) then pass DD through (or bitstream DD) to AVR (to be decoded).

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 2