Quantcast

GS7 - Any way to customize the keyboard?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by halox, Jul 25, 2012.

1. halox

halox New Member

I have the new Sony GS7 box ... and I've connected by Logitech Mini Remote and Logitech Revue Full-sized remote to it with the unifying USB receiver. (So now it feels just like I'm using the Revue, except zippier!)

Problem is, the TV POWER button on the Logitech remotes only shut down the Sony GS7 ... they don't turn off the TV. I know on the Revue, I could button map new commands to the keyboards ... but I don't see that option with the Sony Streamer.

Any one know if it's possible?

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Give this function a try.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Great to hear you have the Logitech Revue K700 keyboard working with the Sony NSZ-GS7. It will be helpful to others preferring a full sized keyboard to the little remote/qwerty keyboard that comes with it. Let us know if you are able to solve all shortcomings or if some still remain and how you accomplished making it work well.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I was wondering if the dedicated GTV command keys on the Revue keyboard will work with the new Sony GTV box. I mean keys such as bookmark key, home key, settings key, search bar key, etc. If not I don't really see any big advantage of the Revue keyboard over any other generic wireless keyboard with trackpad. (That is unless you just really like the "feel" of the Revue keyboard).

Unfortunately I have no unifying receiver and no computer to pair the Revue keyboard with the unifying receiver. For me it would only be worth the trouble of trying to find a unifying receiver on Ebay - along with trying to find a friend with a computer to do the pairing - if the Revue keyboard dedicated GTV command keys also worked on the Sony box. If not I'll just look for a good lightweight generic wireless keyboard w/trackpad.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  5. halox

halox New Member

Yes, everything works exactly as you would expect ... the bookmark key, settings, home, back, etc. The only limitation I've found so far is that pressing the TV OFF button turns off the Sony Box instead of the TV. But the same thing happens if I use Able remote on my phone ... it sends the command for TV off and Sony GTV responds by just shutting itself off. It seems to be something in the way the Sony GTV box is receiving that signal.

• Like Like x 2
  6. halox

halox New Member

Yeah, that'll probably work. My Samsung TV recognizes the box as an AnyNet device. I'm a little wary, because the wife and kids usually just use the TiVo remote to control the TV, so I didn't want to do a lot of the HDMI control, just in case things start getting funny (they turn on the TV, but it doesn't turn the Sony box on, so maybe they see the TV feed, but then get frustrated later when they try to launch Netflix and nothing happens because the box isn't on, etc, etc, etc). Truthfully, I haven't played around with it too much, but I'll give it a go.

7. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^
    Btw, do you have "Unit auto power off" set to "On" - if so try it "Off" (& turn Off "Control for HDMI").

Settings > Unit settings > HDMI settings > Control for HDMI > Off
    Settings > Unit settings > HDMI settings > Unit auto power off > Off

Take a look at these notes.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  8. halox

halox New Member

Cool - I'll play around with it tonight when I get home from work.

9. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy just a unifying receiver, eBay has a good mouse like the M505 or M515 for $3 to $7 more than just the receiver. You might find use for the mouse in addition to the keyboard. I think the Logitech Revue K700 keyboard will probably prove to be the best option until a full featured Bluetooth keyboard is available, and even that might not be any better.

10. halox

halox New Member

Great - now I can power up the TV with the logitech mini remote with the TV power on button now that I have HDMI control on. It doesn't seem to turn off with the same command (it still just turns off the Sony unit but leaves the TV on - maybe it's to prevent it turning off the TV with the auto-off function).

Thanks for the suggestions - I do like the fact that the unit will turn off when the TV turns off. So if my wife and kids just want to use the TiVo remote and no GTV, the unit stays dormant. Then, if you press some buttons on it, it wakes up. That's a nice power saving feature.

11. tfp

tfp New Member

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  12. halox

halox New Member

Yeah, I customized keys for the Revue ... but on the GS7, there don't seem to be any options for customizing keys, which is unfortunate. Play around with it, though - I'd love to see what you find.

13. rehughe

rehughe New Member

Any update on this? I setup my GS7 last night and absolutely love how much speedier it is than the Revue.

But there is no easy way for me to turn on/off my TV/AVR/STB with the remote. How could Sony blow it this bad?

14. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Sony's NZS-GS7 Remote

For TVPressTV [Power]Button
    For AVRPress[Fn] + AMP [Power]Button
    For STBPress[Menu]Buttonselect "STB off"(while in TV Mode)

:)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013