Quantcast

gs7 and dns settingd

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by squig007, Apr 14, 2013.

1. squig007

squig007 New Member

is it possible to change the dns settings on the sony google tv box so i csn watch geo.blocked websites here in the uk ?

2. donc13

donc13 Member

No. It is the IP that is used by your internet provider that determines your general location. You have no control over that.

To do what you want, you'd have to use a proxy server in the geo location where you want to watch restricted programming.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

3. squig007

squig007 New Member

i understand that but im.asking does the box actually allow the dns settings to be chnaged.i have been told on another forum that this is possible by choosing static ip instead of dhcp and inputting the details .i currently use overplay or plymo.tv on an android box which works brillantly.so.accroding to two other forums it is possible to change dns setting as long as you use ethernet cable.and not wifi

4. donc13

donc13 Member

First, no you can't change DNS without first getting root privledges. But 2nd, DNS is used to resolve site names into IP addresses. The file is /system/etc/resolv.conf. It is typically set to Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). DNS has nothing to do with your geo location.

Location is determined by your Public IP address and that is set by your internet provider. If you tried to force your local public IP address to one you choose..a static IP, your internet provider would no longer recognize you as a legitimate user and you'd lose all internet access.

The whole concept of local IP addresses being translated to a public IP address is called NAT or network address translation and is under the control of your router based on the public IP provided to your router by your provider DHCP server. If you tried to use an IP not provided by your provider...you will lose all connectivity.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

5. squig007

squig007 New Member

you say i cant change settings without getting root privledges.is this possible on this.box and if so how can i do this .also i dont think you are getting what im tryimg to do.i use a dns company called over play thats allows me to.watch american netflix here in the uk on my apple tv by instead of using my internet.comoanies dns settings i use overplays dns settings that tricks my apple tv into allowing me to.watch usa.netflix instead.of uk.netflix.im simply asking can this.be.done on the somy box as other.forums are.giving.mixed.messages

6. donc13

donc13 Member

Let me give a simple example. Your public IP works similar to your postal address. You don't get to pick your postal address. If you told people that you lived at a different address, mail addressed to that address would not go to you, but rather to the false address you used.

A proxy server is a way around that, just like a mail forwarding service can allow you to have mail sent to the false address, repacked and delivered to your real address.

Just like there are mail forwarding companies there are proxy server companies that typicall will charge a fee to use their service. You'd have to have a proxy server in each geo location you wish to "pretend" you're from.

7. donc13

donc13 Member

DNS and your static IP address are two different things. I don't know anything about overplay....but it sounds like they are a proxy server, not a DNS server.

8. squig007

squig007 New Member

sorry to sound thick here as im new to this.could you possibly have a look at their site to see if i can do it.i jusy dont want to speand the.money if it cant be done.thanks pal

9. donc13

donc13 Member

ok, I just looked at overplay. They are a proxy server system. Using DNS they force all traffic thru their servers which then use a VPN tunnel to a proxy server in the US so it appears the request came from a server in the US.

And again no. without root privledges, you can not change DNS on your Google TV.

It MAY work if you can change DNS on your modem/router that hooks to your provider.

10. squig007

squig007 New Member

11. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

There was another thread on this forum about changing the DNS on the NSZ-GS7 here:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sonys-nsz-gs7/6970-changing-dns.html

The general consensus was that it can't be done directly on the NSZ-GS7.

However one poster "Aslan442" posted that he got it to work (in his post #7 from the linked thread above)

Aslan442 wrote:

"I was able to change my dns settings by disconnecting the wired connection going wireless changed to static saved settings then reconnected the wired connection hope this helps"

I don't use WiFi so I cannot confirm if his method really will work.

As donC13 mentioned I suggest changing the DNS on your router.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  12. squig007

squig007 New Member

thanks unfortunatley my.router is locked and doesnt allow dns changes