Quantcast

Gripes about Sony Blu-Ray Internet TV BOX

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by kryzdafer, Mar 3, 2011.

1. kryzdafer

kryzdafer New Member

Ok I'm very unhappy with Sony and their lack of attention to this product!

**Search results still do not include netflix or local files

**No Iphone App

**Can't figure out how to map the A B and C buttons on my brighthouse remote (and dont' say the colored buttons because i've tried everything) This causes trouble when I'm trying to record program, access menu's

**No dialogue with the public about updates

**No updates in a while

**Get the run around from Sony technical support, apparently none of them know anything about the future of this product

These are huge problems and Im just overall disappointed, it seems like Logitech is doing a way better job pushing their product and supporting it and keeping it fresh than Sony is. It just seems like such a half @$$'d commitment from them. Hey lets invest in google tv, then we'll forget about it.

Thanks sony

2. galfert

galfert Active Member

I can certainly add to your list....

Here is my comparison list: There are a lot of differences between the Logitech Revue and The Sony Blu-ray/TVs.
    In my opinion the Logitech Revue is better hands down.

* Revue has A, B, C, D keys for set top box control (very important for cable tv users)
    * Revue has better media player (although that isn't saying much since it isn't a great media player)
    * Revue media player supports more file formats
    * Revue has customizable programable remote control keys, Sony doesn't
    * Revue can accept IR commands from any Remote Control
    * Revue has Harmony smarts (not a full blown Harmony remote ...but its nice)
    * Revue better integrates with current Hamony remote you may already have
    * Revue got its initial bugs fixed faster than Sony got fixes
    * Revue has option of big keyboard or optional small back lit keyboard
    * Revue has TV web camera option for teleconferencing free with Vid HD
    * Revue was hacked and given root (granted you need to have a virgin system)
    * Logitech will sell you additional IR blaster for less than $10 shipped
    * Sony Google TV remote sux
    * Revue has LED lights on the front (power and keyboard control active) - Sony has none
    * Revue is sleaker and its black - who wants a white component? yuck!
    * Revue is cheaper (granted no Blu-ray ---but that blu-ray is inferior to a better stand alone Blu-ray player)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  3. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

The Revue keyboard can be used with the Sony GTV.
    Though I don't know if it would be customizable.

From what I am learning on this forum the Sony GTV line is more of a toy while the Revue is a tool.
    I still want to see a high powered GTV enabled Sony AVR. The 5600ES would've been the perfect place for a dual core atom powered GTV unit. Though due to the inherent delays it would have to be able to be enabled or disabled by input.

It is shocking to hear the Sony has worse media player than the Revue. Either way both Logitech with the Squeezebox line and Sony with their BluRay players both already know how to share files over uPNP/DLNA it's a shame they both came up short in this area.

4. cheshire

cheshire New Member

I am a sony gtv user. I am satisfied with the box. The only grip here is switching between bluray and cable gets tricky at times... the function key isnt the most functionable. Sounds like you should of did a bit more research before you bought. I plan on having this sony bluray player moved to my bedroom whenever the next generation of gtv players come out and they show significant advances, so I just deal with the early limitations.

5. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

The Sony GTV should get updates as well as the Revue. This was both Sony's and Logitech's first stab at this.
    From what I've read the second generation boxes will have lesser specs. That doesn't mean that there are not other GTVs in the pipeline

6. Stern Fan Dan

Stern Fan Dan New Member

Hey guys,

Had the Sony Google internet box for about a week and I'm digging it. I just got the Iphone app that lets me use it as the rc, but I still like the keyboard remote.

My only gripe is the audio lag that I seem to be seeing. It's worse with some shows/networks than it is with others. I'm trying all kinds of tweaks and wonder if my setup is screwed up. I use a AV receiver and have a Comcast that I connect to the Google with HDMI. Digital optical outputs from both to the amp. Also any reason why Netflix doesn't have 5.1?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

7. galfert

galfert Active Member

Stern Fan Dan, I suspect that your audio delays are caused by using the optical audio from your STB. I would recommend using only the optical audio from GTV and see if you get better results.

8. Stern Fan Dan

Stern Fan Dan New Member

Thanks for the help man. It seemed two connections was overkill. I'll give you feedback on how it works. Thanks again.

9. djangofan

djangofan New Member

My biggest gripe about the Sony NSZ-GT1 is that it cant control the channel changing on the TV. Why is the so-called "Bravia sync" technology limited in this way... why wouldn't they have integrated channel changing support? It seems that a Google TV device like this should have had it.

Also, there is something wrong with the browser cookies, as I am unable to login to the amazon video on demand site with Chrome. What am I missing here? Is there a workaround?

I am looking forward to getting Android 2.2 or 2.3 on this device. It should improve performance quite a bit... especially with Shockwave and javascript.

10. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

The sony should control your other devices just fine.
    It should not however be doing so through bravia link.

Are you sure you entered your devices correctly?
    Do you have line of sight from the GTV to your TV?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

11. bobbalinks

bobbalinks New Member

I'm amazed that I don't see anyone griping about crashes of both Chrome browser and Shockwave. Is this just me. I get maybe 3-5 crashes per hour of use (or more).

I've been using mine since Christmas because I enjoy the functionality, but this is ridiculous. Help!

12. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I'm on the Logitech Revue and it happens to me often also. Part of the problem is a lot of web pages are bloated with all kinds of flash advertising and javascript pop-up ads. The Intel CE4100 processor will give hardware acceleration for the main form of flash used in movies (h.264) - but often times in these flash ads it's not h.264 format so these ads don't have hardware acceleration and it slows everything down. But I read that Google is working with Adobe corp. to get them to tweak certain aspects of flash so that our experience will be improved. I also read in another article that when we get the big android 3.1 update this summer - this update will give a big boost in speed to web browsing for Google TV.

13. Stern Fan Dan

Stern Fan Dan New Member

That solved my audio lag, thanks buddy.

I also get those shockwave crashes from time to time, sad puzzle pieces.

14. weasie20

weasie20 New Member

Shockwave crashes here as well. Again, hoping an update will solve this soon.

15. bobbalinks

bobbalinks New Member

Right on!

16. AntiFPS

AntiFPS New Member

I've been having a lot of trouble with m Sony GTV box freezing. So far, I only use it in the living room for Netflix and haven't been able to do much else with it yet. However, from the moment of turning it on, to actually getting a movie to play takes as long as 10 minutes. It locks up and I can't do anything, even reset it. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to fix it?

17. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

There's no permanent fix for it now. Hopefully when the 3.1 update comes out this issue will be fixed. If your box freezes and you can't reset it by doing a soft reboot (pressing Alt+Ctrl+DEL) then you need to do a hard reboot by unplugging your box.

18. AntiFPS

AntiFPS New Member

I hope so. I haven't been able to do anything with it yet except Netflix. Makes me not want to bother with anything else if I have to re-reboot it every time I use it.

19. dlbark

dlbark New Member

To be fair, I know this thread is for persons who can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. Sony or Google can't help it if you bought your NSZ-GT1 set on day one and you thought that it could walk on water. It's July 2011 and in late August early September we will be receiving the Google update 3.1 Honeycomb and it should fix all issues that you all are having. Netflix, Amazon and other installed apps on the box are just widgets that take you to that particular website. Most of those sites now are using LeanBack feature or some variation of it accept AOD. (Amazon on Demand). If the app does not work it is not Sony's fault but that provider. When Sony network was hacked that effected everyone but when Sony is up and Amazon is being hacked, it's not Sony responsibility to get Amazon back up. As soon as ALL previous owners or persons that have contributed to this *****-Fest thread learn how to read we can make a fair and accurate description of what this product was meant for. Quit yer bitchin'!

20. dlbark

dlbark New Member

1. Did you set-up the box with your cable hd box,
    2. What type of internet service you have
    3. Have you contacted Netflix, they are notorious for having hackers and self shutdown their networks without warning to their paying customers.

If your NSZ-GT1 box is your main culprit then have you contacted Sony? You do know you have a 1 year warranty on this product. I don't know if I'm just really lucky or if I lucked out but I have not had any of the issues that those individuals are complaining about on this thread.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011