Quantcast

Greetings from Green Bay

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by gbeardmore, Jan 8, 2014.

1. gbeardmore

gbeardmore New Member

I just joined this forum, but have been a Logitech Revue owner since its release day. Yup, I'm one of those guys that paid "full-boat" retail. But overall I have been fairly satisfied with the device. It's still working just as it did on day one. Sure its "laggy", but (to my knowledge) it has features and functions not found in other google-boxes.

So, the reason I joined the forum? I'm looking for advice. I'm wondering if there are any other devices on the market, or in the pipeline, that have 3 basic features of the Revue. I'd like a faster, better google-box that has the following:

1. A full Internet Browser
    2. A full keyboard with trackpad, or Bluetooth so one can be added
    3. HDMI pass-thru (like the Revue) so it can be placed between the cable box and my TV/Sound System

So, essentially what I'm looking for is a New-Improved Revue. I'm unaware of any devices with all the capabilities of the Revue, short of a full fledged HTPC. Any thoughts or recommendations will be welcomed!

Apologies if this belongs elsewhere in the forum, feel free to move it...

2. retroben

retroben Active Member

My Sony NSZ-GS7,with various performance enhancing exploits that I found,is running in the peak of its potential,which means its effin' FAST!

1. A full Internet Browser=YES
    2. A full keyboard with trackpad, or Bluetooth so one can be added=YES,with a backlight in the keyboard
    3. HDMI pass-thru (like the Revue) so it can be placed between the cable box and my TV/Sound System=YES

My proof that #3 is supported on GS7.
    I recently got a free Blu-ray player from a special deal at Target which ends after Valentines Day.
    If you buy three of the listed movies,you get the sponsored Blu-ray Player for free!
    I got a Sony BDP-S1100 Blu-ray player for free,after getting Grown Ups 2,This Is The End,and...The Smurfs 2.
    The proof:I have it hooked into my GS7 through the "HDMI IN" slot (I don't have a cable box).

The Blu-ray player lacks Wi-Fi support,so I just hooked an ethernet wire from the Blu-ray player to my GS7,and it astoundingly worked!
    The only downside is that I have to leave my GS7 on to keep the internet connection in the Blu-ray Player.

3. gbeardmore

gbeardmore New Member

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out for sure! This Sony sounds just like what I'm looking for. I see there's a newer model than the one you have. Any advantages with the newer one?

One other question if I may. I'm not sure I grasp what the above wired solution does. Are you bringing the internet in to the Blueray via CAT5 and then on to the Sony from there, no WiFi involved?

Thanks again!

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

IMO the current web browsing experience on the GTV devices with Honeycomb is really not a 'full' web browsing experience. The browser is an outdated version of Chrome (Chrome 11) - and certain web sites and/or functions on web sites don't work properly.

Probably most of the internet still works - but I've noticed over time - the situation gradually is getting worse - and on some web sites I get a pop-up stating my GTV browser is outdated and I need to update my browser. The current version of Chrome is Chrome 32 (on desktops and mobile) . Also you will be stuck on an outdated version of Flash (Flash 10.2). Once again 'most' of the Flash on the internet still works with Flash 10.2 - but I'm finding a steady amount of web sites that bite the dust in terms of working with GTV because they have updated to Flash 11.

If the Sony NSZ-GS8 gets updated to Jellybean then it will have a modern up-to-date browser. However the Jellybean update removes Flash altogether - so that might create new issues for you. Also plug-ins such as Microsoft Silverlight don't work. The Jellybean update is not a certainty at this point for the Sony NSZ-GS8.

Also none of the GTV devices sold well - and as such IMO they all are in jeopardy of being dis-continued when the available inventory is cleared-out.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I also think the Sony NSZ-GS7 or GS8 is the best option to replace the Logitech Revue if you like the Revue. I also started with a Revue, the GS7 is very similar with a better processor and the GS8 adds a voice control remote. The Logitech Revue K700 keyboard can be used with the GS7 or GS8 by pairing it with a USB unifying receiver.

So far nothing I have seen other than Google TV meets your criteria. There may be some new models released that will be worth consideration also but the GS7 is easy to find at less than $100 now and I think it is a really good box.

6. retroben

retroben Active Member

My GS7 is connected via Wi-Fi,which is why its astounding that the Blu-ray player connects though the ethernet ports.
    Just grab any ol' ethernet wire and hook it up.

You can't complain about the player if it comes free with three certain movies out of a little more than three.
    There is a large list of media streams,but I don't know if any are free other than YouTube.
    It does not have an option for the free version of Hulu.

Hulu Plus SUCKS!/Free Hulu rules!

7. gbeardmore

gbeardmore New Member

Well, sounds like this device is "OK" but not great. What are y'all's thoughts about the future of GTV / Nexus TV or whatever they'll call it. Think anything will or has come out of CES '14? I'm torn between getting this Sony for under $100 or waiting to see what comes out in the near future. (The Revue has to go, the stuttering is starting to make me nuts)

How 'bout some good old speculation guys...

ALSO...

"My GS7 is connected via Wi-Fi,which is why its astounding that the Blu-ray player connects though the ethernet ports.Just grab any ol' ethernet wire and hook it up."

EDIT: Ah, the blueray is getting its internet from the GS7. I was envisioning the GS7 sitting between the blueray and the TV.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  8. CatfishRivers

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...e-tv-android-tv-announcements-ces-2014-a.html

9. retroben

retroben Active Member

I am a bedroom user.

My TV is at the maximum distance away from the GS7's HDMI wire length.
    My GS7 is near a corner next to my recently acquired free Blu-ray Player.
    I have my TV on a shorter mini dresser placed as close to my bed as I can get it for maximum viewing quality.

10. ChrisG8

I am not going to say Google TV is perfect but I will say based on your list of needs for a Revue replacement, I am not aware of anything else that comes close. I use the Google TV Chrome browser for all of my internet browsing, even though I have a couple of laptops with various web browsers so I consider it a full web browser but I don't consider it a perfect web browser. I have set up a new Google TV app called Frequency and subscribed to quite a few channels, CNet and various news and interesting tidbit providers and it works like a dream. Previously I might have used the browser to gain access to information provided for those sites, instead now I just look at the videos and news snippets list provided by Frequency and play the ones of interest. That is the easiest access to that information I have used. This week, that is how I have watched CES announcements and commentary. I am sure I could have found all of that using the web browser but I am glad I didn't have to.

11. CatfishRivers

Major web sites that don't function properly with Chrome browser on the GTV devices with Honeycomb OS:

1) YouTube: http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...access-youtube-via-google-chrome-anymore.html

2) HBOGO: http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...on/7981-does-hbo-go-still-work-google-tv.html

3) Vimeo: http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/logitech-revue/8724-vimeo-won-t-go-full-screen.html

4) ESPN:

ESPN3 works for some but not for others. Even when it works it's not optimal as GTV doesn't have the resources to handle the site efficiently: http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/.../8969-can-t-watch-espn3-sony-nsz-gs7-gs8.html

WatchESPN mostly doesn't work the last I heard: http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/vizio-co-star/8562-sudden-watchespn-problem.html

5) UStream: (They Switched to Flash 11 & GTV doesn't support Flash 11) http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/vizio-co-star/8047-another-ustream-problem.html

6) All the major TV Network web sites: (Blocking Google TV): http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...can-t-watch-cbs-content-my-new-google-tv.html

7) Hulu: (Blocking Google TV): http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20020335-1.html

8) Comcast Xfinity web site: (TV Shows & Movies don't work because Comcast uses Flash 11 & Microsoft Silverlight): http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...ifts-tv-everywhere-elemental-transcoders.html

9) Dailymotion: (There are annoying letters scrolling at the bottom of the screen as video plays - and videos stop & stutter): http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/project-free-tv/297-project-free-tv-304.html#post47692

I'm sure there are others - but those came to mind right away. Aside from all the sites that don't function properly - then it's a "full browsing" experience -;)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  12. ChrisG8

The sites blocking Google TV are also unavailable on the other streaming boxes, that has nothing to do with the web browser and everything to do with the fact the content is licensed for a traditional PC only. There is nothing wrong with using web browsers on a traditional PC, of course a traditional PC will not meet the other requirements as I understand them.

As far as ESPN3, I accessed it often over a two year period with the Google TV browser before it became available on Roku recently. It worked fine subject to slow loading, Roku is a better way to access ESPN3 so I use it now.

I notice you didn't actually offer a product to meet his request instead offered things you don't think the Google TV web browser can do, not a single thing you mentioned matters to me but it could to him so it is good information to provide. I will say I do watch YouTube videos with the web browser when a link is provided that doesn't give me the choice to choose the YouTube app and those videos play for me but I can't make Google TV screw up things as well as you and others can. I continued to use the standard GMail with the web browser for a long time when you indicated it wasn't working for you. I can't explain how I can see such a long list of things some can't do with Google TV, I routinely do, that is just the way things are for whatever reason.

The few things I want that Google TV can't do like Hulu and Hulu Plus, I decided to handle with a PC server and Google TV client and it works great. My suggestion stands, I am not aware of a single product that comes as close to meeting the OPs request than Google TV.

As far as the definition of full web browser, I have seen IE, Safari, and Chrome on my PC stumble when trying to access sites and have switched to one of the others to access that site so if access to 100% of all web sites is your requirement to be a full web browser, my experience tells me a full web browser doesn't exist. I have never seen that definition of full web browser so I am going to continue to call IE, Safari, Chrome and Google TV Chrome full web browsers, I have access to all of them and have used all of them.

13. CatfishRivers

Welll believe it or not there are still people that buy a GTV thinking that sites like CBS will work. So the list I provided in my previous post is a valuable piece of information for people considering buying a GTV device.

There is nothing erroneous in the information that I provided - and I backed it all up with links - so people considering buying a GTV can read the relevant threads if they want.

Maybe the sites that I listed don't matter for people - if so that's great. But there's no need to try and "sweep this information under the carpet" - and then have disgruntled GTV users (because they made a purchase decision without knowing all the facts). People can decide for themselves what product is right for them. I am not telling people what to buy or not buy - just presenting facts so people can make informed decisions.

IMO - the fact that Google's own YouTube we site is a mess with the GTV Chrome browser is ludicrous. YouTube should be the one web site in the whole world that functions good with the GTV Chrome browser - but it's broke. People need to know about things like this before they make a purchase decision. Some people might be satisfied using the YouTube app and not the web site with Chrome. To each his/her own.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  14. gbeardmore

gbeardmore New Member

Boy! I'm really enjoying all the spirited conversation. Good info from all camps!

The fact is, I have had the Revue since it's launch day, so am pretty much aware of what GTV can and can't do. I'm simply looking for a replacement device that has a little bit (or a lot) more horsepower. For now I'm thinking the Sony NSZ-GS7 or GS8 is the best option available. That being said I think I'll hold off a bit longer on a purchase. The GS8 will be available at least for a while longer. It seems like there MAY be some new developments and/or products on the horizon. So for now, I'll take a wait-and-see attitude.

Thank you ALL for your comments and discussion! Good stuff!

• Like Like x 4
  15. laoniu

laoniu New Member

The Blu-ray player lacks Wi-Fi support,so I just hooked an ethernet wire from the Blu-ray player to my GS7,and it astoundingly worked!
    The only downside is that I have to leave my GS7 on to keep the internet connection in the Blu-ray Player.