Quantcast

got the update - giving up

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by drdigital1, Dec 10, 2011.

1. drdigital1

drdigital1 New Member

After reading the initial problem reports I was wandering if I should get worried. After eferz comments, I became worried for real. Today, I got the update and I can confirm: this is a complete nightmare for me. I got the Revue to replace an HTPC (since it has wife-friendly user interface) only for Internet TV (espn3.com and international TV). As these sites underwent updates this year, the Revue became useless and I went back to HTPC.
    However, I believe the Revue has so much potential that I bought a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] one when the update to 3.1 became imminent. Today, I got the update and what a disappointment it’s been:
    • espn3.com works but the video quality is terrible. It’s the Revue for sure as the espn3.com video is GREAT on my HTPC (my downlink speed is 25Mbps); the video quality on the Revue shows 5 bars though. At least Barcelona beat Real Madrid so this has not been a bad day, after all!
    • most of the video from the international TV stations I am watching is not played (sometimes I get an error message about not having Silverlight or Windows Media Player) – no improvement over the old software (2.1).
    • I also wasn’t able to access Market apps because my google account password was rejected (sync problem reported by other users as well). Obviously, for my case, this is just another irritation, but not worth troubleshooting.
    The HTPC is back on, the Revue went back on a shelf in the basement and the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Revue (which I never opened) went back to Amazon.
    I’ll keep monitoring this forum in hope that solutions/workarounds will be reported. Maybe new products (Samsung GTV?) will do better.

2. jlawou

jlawou New Member

ESPN3 worked just fine for me. It took a while to load but once it did the video quality was great. It crashed if I put it in full screen so I would just enlarge the picture with the function key and "+". Using over Wi-Fi as well.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

3. Bemkar

Bemkar New Member

Samsung has its own 'Smart Hub' smart tv. Do no believe they are thinking about GTV any time soon.

4. drdigital1

drdigital1 New Member

Solved the "invalid account password" problem: the google account I was attempting to use on my Revue is already used with my Android phone. It looks like you cannot have the same google account on 2 Android devices. I was able to use another google account with Revue and was able to access market with it. Of course, the message "invalid password" sent me on wild goose chase.

5. krisguy

krisguy New Member

I'm able to use both my Google accounts, one regular (@gmail.com), one is Google Apps (@krisguy.com). I'm not having any issues like this at all. It may just take a factory reset on the Revue to clean out the DB for accounts.

6. papabare

papabare New Member

Hmmm, don't think that is it, as I have my primary gmail account on a smartphone, tablet, ebook/tablet, and the revue (all others android). My smartphone has a second account added as well, but All of them user my primary as their primary and I use the market just fine on all (besides the ebook/tablet as it doesn't have 3g).

7. jlawou

jlawou New Member

Samsung is going to be doing a Google TV iteration in 2012.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204443404577053153432777594.html

Also, I have the same Google account setup on Google TV, 2 tablets and my phone. No issues at all.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

8. drdigital1

drdigital1 New Member

Finally solved the mistery of the "invalid password": I am using 2-step verification on my main google account and I had to authorize access to that account from the Revue. I wish I could get rid of the main issues just as easily :(