Quantcast

Got my Co-Star and a few questions

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by trophyguy, Nov 28, 2012.

1. trophyguy

trophyguy Member

Set up my Co-Star last night. Took a bit and a few issues you experts might be able to help with.

I've got a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC cable box. Went through the setup to identify it.
    Get to the screen to control the box from the remote. I go through the 12 available codes and nothing works.
    It asks if you'd like to put in a manual code, but where do you get them from or is it a Time Warner or Vizio code it's looking for.

The Remote Touchpad, do you have to turn it on? I tried it in the Chrome browser and get no on screen cursor.
    Is that tied to the remote not controlling my cable box?

I found by accident the screen where you stretch the picture so no white is showing around the picture.
    Stretched it once and it's a little off now and I cant find that prompt again.

In my playing around I did for a while end up with a fuzzy picture with sound and everything was a pretty shade of blue
    while going through the Co-Star box. I did try a DVD and that worked fine. Had to reset my cable box & shut the TV off before it fixed itself.

THANKS!!
    Tony

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

Go to your cable box and reset the display resolution just like you see it in the above photo, make sure you save the set up (parameters) just like you see in the above photo ... Next pull the plug on your Co-Star let it restart again, this should fix the issues ...

If this does not fix it, then do a hard reset, after you do the hard reset, make sure you have the above set up still on your cable box, also make sure ALL HDMI cables are firm and tight in each connection port (This Is The Cause Of A Lot Of Problems With The Co-Star Set Up, But Nothing Is Wrong With Your Co-Star) ....

Another thing you want to do go HERE and get the 411 (Info) on the Co-Star http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...io-co-star-reviews-your-hands-experience.html ...

3. trophyguy

trophyguy Member

Thank you. It was working fine when I left for work today.

Any ideas on getting the remote to control my box? The cable box isnt that old I dont believe.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Yeah, get the remote codes for your cable box from your cable provider and enter the remote codes manually ...

If you don't do the above set in the photo, it going to come back and hunt you, it's needed by the Co-star to perfrom correctly .... (If you don't believe me, call support and the will tell you the very same thing that I'M telling you)

A lot of Co-Star owners don't know about this, they think it's the CO-Star, but it's the Cable box/satellite receiver that's not set up correctly to work with the Co-Star ....

• Like Like x 2
  5. trophyguy

trophyguy Member

Yes sir. I will set the TV to that when I play on it tonight.

SRY, still confused on the remote code. Use the remote codes for a Vizio TV?
    I put the code in here and I did get one so I'll give that a shot tonight.

TY

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

No, I'm sorry I did not explain myself correctly, their is a place in the Co-Star Set up where you can install the remotes codes manually (Get The remote Codes From Your Cable company For Your Cable Box) .....

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  7. trophyguy

trophyguy Member

Yep saw the install manually, but I need the codes. SRY if I'm confusing us both LOL :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. trophyguy

trophyguy Member

I'm frustrated. Set the cable box to 1080i and I'm stuck here with the blue screen again.

TV looks good with a DVD and the Vizio box shows menus clear. Where'd I go wrong?

Plus, for the life of me the touchpad doesnt work. Read somewhere else it clicks when you press it?
    If so, this one doesnt seem to. Back to watching boring old TV for now. :(

And the only way out of the blue screen even without the Co-Star hooked up is to reboot the cable box.
    There's 10 minutes of my live I'll not get back, right?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Wow, did you do a hard reset and set the cable box 1080i, if 1080i does not work, try 1080p, but 1080i should work with a hard reset .... HDMI cables may not be connected correctly from the looks of the photo ....

10. trophyguy

trophyguy Member

I've got these choices:

480i
    480p
    720p
    1080i
    Auto Select

I do notice when the box goes on sometime that the output on the front of the box by the clock flips back and forth to 480 and 720 for some reason. It was OK for a while last night so got me.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

OK, set it back to where you had it working right, I believe we have discovered that you may have a faulty cable box, exchange that cable box as soon as you can ...

12. trophyguy

trophyguy Member

I was thinking that. Its slow as anything sometimes. It may be going on 4 years old.

Thanks!!

13. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Try to get a newer cable box when you make the exchange ... Here is a remote code that might work 0877 with your cable box using the manual entry ...

• Like Like x 2
  14. trophyguy

trophyguy Member

I found a setting for "AutoHD" that was set to on. I'm gonna try that with it off tomorrow.

15. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Ok, post your results tomorrow ...

16. trophyguy

trophyguy Member

Well I think that was the issue Wisdom. I set the AutoHD to off and the screen resolution is at 1080i
    and it's working fine right now. So that problem is fixed.

BUT, the remote wont control the Cable Box still. I deleted the box, re installed it, entered the
    code you suggested and thats not working. Also, the 1st few times I installed the box, I was given
    12 codes to try before adding it manually. Now I dont get the option. Only YES it worked or Enter Manually.

Plus the touchpad still doesnt work. I'm missing out on the guide and changing the cable box channels.
    Should I maybe do a hard reset now that the picture is working?

Tony

• Like Like x 2
  17. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I got that code from Co-Star support, a long shot (Half Court) ...(lol) I knew that was the (FIX), Ok, do the reset and when the Co-Star comes back up make sure you have the Cable set to HD 1080i and just go through the Co-Star set up again ...

You will have to get the codes from your cable company ...!

18. trophyguy

trophyguy Member

I guess I'll call the Vizio Tech support tonight to get the cable box control working. Should be fun.

I did get the touchpad to finally work. I hadn't set it up I guess.

19. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Call your cable company for the remotes codes, not the Co-Star support .... I believe the Co-Star support close at 5:00 PM MST ....

Give me the full name of your cable box,and model number too ....

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  20. trophyguy

trophyguy Member

Its a Scientific Atlanta Explorer HD8300HDC

• Like Like x 2