Quantcast

Got GS8 and K400 keyboard for father in law, an MSNTV refugee

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by mwelch, Oct 1, 2013.

1. mwelch

mwelch New Member

My father-in-law's decade-long relationship with MSNTV/WebTV came to an end last night, as Microsoft finally shut it down. He was old school, relying not just on the outdated box, but on dial-up to get it on the net.

We got DISH internet installed, and that's working great. And after showing him tablets and chromebooks, he decided that he still wanted the lean-back, recliner experience, and opted for a Sony GS8 box. He's not tech-savvy at all, and he had some comfort in the relative familiarity. Unfortunately, I knew nothing about Google TV, and bought it for him after about only 30 minutes of research (we were in a time crunch).

A couple questions, if you guys don't mind:

1: He HAS TO have a full sized keyboard, so I bought a Logitech K400. It mostly works, but there are some keys seemingly missing. First and foremost, there doesn't seem to be a browser "back" key (or any kind of back key) analog on the K400. Is there one that I'm missing? Can I install something that'll let me map, say, the escape key or a function key to back? (Escape does seem to function as back sometimes, but not in the Chrome browser.)

2: In the browser, is there an easy way to bring up the bookmarks, besides hitting the menu key? (Said menu key ALSO not having an analog on the K400, except via function-home, I think).

3: Is there no native email client with some kind of notification? I tried K-9, and it was generally not very good, at least as far as I could tell.

4: Is there any way for me to map keys to launch apps? Things would go much smoother for him if I could say "Press F1 to get your browser" or "Press F3 to get your email".

5: I'd love to bring bookmarks onto the home screen. For instance, I'd love for there to be an ebay icon on the home screen he could simply select, and go to in his browser automatically. (And, as a result of number 4, be able to map a key to launch it).

Thanks for any help.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The Logitech K700 is the keyboard i would recommend for the NSZ-GS8 Google TV, it has the Google TV specific keys and works really well.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Travel

Travel Active Member

Well, first of all, you did the right thing by going with the Sony GS8 box. I'm a former MSNTV-2 user and the Sony box is absolutely the best replacement for what you're looking for in set-top-box internet access; only GoogleTV is light years beyond MSNTV-2 in capability.

The second thing is that you need the (not the K400 keyboard) k700 Logitech keyboard with the Unifying Receiver that comes with this keyboard. The Logitech k700 keyboard is made specifically for GoogleTV boxes, and provides the appropriate dedicated button functions that you're understandably concerned about. For example, there is a button on the keyboard that you "long press" and it'll bring-up the "bookmarks" section, and the GoogleTV Home Page can be customized for icons. Most things in your listed questions can be easily done, and others may jump-in and answer them or, myself, when i have more time.

There are a ton of "ins n' outs" with regard to the functionality of GoogleTV compared to the MSNTV-2; recommend that your father-in-law register on this forum as all the basic questions for getting started can be answered.

So, you could order the K700 from amazon. The Unifying Receiver is used to "pair" the Logitech keyboard with the Sony GS8 box and must be configured using a PC: the instructions for doing this will be included with the order. Many on this forum have done this already, and use the k700 keyboard with the Sony box.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  4. mwelch

mwelch New Member

Thanks all, for the reply about the K700. That looks like just what we need. This USB "unifying receiver"... is this something that comes with the K700? Or does the USB receiver I got with the K400 work as well?

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Yes when you buy a new K700 keyboard it comes with the unifying receiver. But you can also use the one that came with the K400.

• Like Like x 2
  6. bstockton

bstockton New Member

I also converted my father from WebTv to GTV. He likes the K9-Mail because it has less information on the screen and can be controlled by using just the keyboard (no touch pad required).

A standard wireless keyboard will do 90% of his functions. The F1, F2, F3, F4 keys are very useful for navigating.

Please see the "Contacts or People App for Email apps like K9-Mail" dated 09-01-2013 for additional information.

7. qw545

qw545 Member

Using the keyboard you have will let you do most of what you want. Using the F2 key will bring up the "home page" which is actually a menu bar at the bottom. The default version allows you to have one row of various applications or webpages installed there. I'm using an app from the Google Play Store called Open Launcher which enables the use of several rows of links. The app is free. Using F3 is your back button.

8. mwelch

mwelch New Member

Thanks for the input. On the K400 that we bought, any one of the function keys did nothing but bring up the "Search Google TV" modal search bar. No home page or back button. (The K400 does have a home button for the home page, though.)

I'm going to order a K700 and solve most of these problems, I hope.

9. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

lol welcome to the club..after 13 years of dialup..that's 97 to 2003 on the webtv,2004-2010 on msntv2,then HALLEUJAH CHOIR!! google tv is born! I bought the revue...it took me awhile to get around to using it,why? stupid economy that's why!! and by the time I did,the revue according to Logitech was no longer worth it..so their loss,that everyone moved in on their turf..lol!! got the Vizio co-star,and it lasted june to october..so I got the newest B03 (co-star's twin) and its running smoother :)

10. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

Vizio loves me..I have the 32" Vizio 3DTV :)

11. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

bstockton..you're the 3rd person I've seen on here that hopped off the "Titanic" (msntv2/webtv pick one lol) and game over to google tv..gotta face it though..if microsoft came along with sony and logitech on the ground floor they'd bailed on msntv alot sooner and been a pivotal player in gtv..but they went other directions..that would have rocked if they came out with a msntv3 google tv,it would have turned things around for them

12. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

If you call logitech,tell them you need the unifying receiver..or even go to amazon..you can still get one..that's what I did..I took the bull by both horns.
    In the time logitech took to send one the receiver..I already had one in 4 to 6 days from amazon :)

13. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

chris,I am to vizio,what my best friend is to sony..he has sony everything! lol I went logitech,oh well I learned from that experience,but went vizio tv,vizio blu ray,vizio gtv ..I still think so far the B03 has a little more kick to it :)

14. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Did you consider a Mac Mini?

It's quite a bit more money, but the current generation of GoogleTv devices aren't going to cut it on the market for much longer even with the JB update.

Another possibility would be a tablet with a mirroring device. For instance, an iPad mini and an Apple Tv combo might work well.

15. CatfishRivers

I think for a former WebTV person that likes the automatic OTA updates and no-viruses - hooking up a Chromebook/Chromebox to a TV would be a decent alternative. The Chromebooks seem to have gained some market traction (unlike GTV) - so future hardware support looks to be good for Chromebooks. The newest models due out soon use the new Intel Haswell processor - and you can get a model with either 2GB or 4GB of RAM. Chromebooks cost between $200 to $300.

16. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Is there a good way to get a Chromebook to show on a TV that doesn't require running a cable?

I'm still not sure I'd want to bet on a Google based device for more than a year or two.

17. Travel

Travel Active Member

A lot of people went with the Mac Mini after MSNTV-2 became Flash obsolete. There's a section on the Mac Mini in the Web-nuts forum. The thing is that a set-top-box device like the Sony box with GoogleTV is even more user friendly, and that's what former MSNTV-2 users mostly care about. The cable integration and overlay is something that WebTV was working toward, back when they were actually doing some development. There was some limited TV integration with later versions of the WebTV boxes. So, GoogleTV is a natrural alternative to WebTV/MSNTV-2 for users who don't want to go the laptop route. Hooking up a laptop to a TV just doesn't have that user friendly appeal.

Same thing with the Chromebook/Chromebox. Also, the Samsung brand doesn't have a ethernet port. The Acer brand does, but neither of them look promising as far as audio hook-up to a sound system.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  18. mwelch

mwelch New Member

I considered all of those suggestions, and personally favored the iPad/Apple TV combo, but in the end feared it was too complicated. My father in law is not technical adept at all, so simplicity is of utmost importance. (As an example, he called me over the weekend to say that his whole internet was down. Turns out the TV had just gotten taken off HDMI input for some reason.)

So far he's really liking the Sony Google TV. The only problem, and it's a big one, is the track pad. For all MSNTV2's limitations (and there were many) the original WebTV folks did a good job thinking through how to use the internet from a 10-foot/recliner distance. The biggest thing is being able to tab through all the links on the screen. A pretty big pain, but not as big as trying to get that track-pad-driven cursor hovering over a link just right. Especially for an elderly gentleman with arthritis. He's getting used to it, though, and loves the speed. (Again, he was on MSNTV dialup as of two weeks ago, so he feels like he's in a sci-fi novel with the satellite internet).

Thanks for all the help here. I've gotten the K700 ordered, and am confident that'll fix most of the issues he's still having.

• Like Like x 2
  19. CatfishRivers

You can connect a mouse to the GTV. Some people find a mouse easier to use compared to the trackpad.

20. Travel

Travel Active Member

Yes, MSNTV-2 was effectively an "internet app," the smooth scrolling was a thing of beauty (I'm hoping that the Jelly Bean update will do this for GoogleTV devices), and the "box" cursor was so much easier than a pointer.

If he had a printer with the MSNTV-2 and would like printer capability with GoogleTV, the "Printershare" app from the Google Play Store or Amazon Android apps works excellently. It'll cost $13 if you can't find it on sale, but it's a one-time-only cost. There's a fairly recent thread on this forum about printers with GoogleTV for reference.

Also, you can "Copy, Cut and Paste" with the k700. It's a little tricky compared to the CCP of MSNTV-2, so you could post for tips on this.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013