Quantcast

Got an update today. Anyone remember what was in it?

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by Pherball66, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Pherball66

Pherball66 New Member

I turned my blu ray player on this evening and had to update my player but forgot what it all said it did. Did anyone else catch it? It is not on the Sony website yet.

I do remember 2 things:

Improved blu ray performance and media player support for wmv files but their were a couple more items.

2. scottbridges

scottbridges New Member

i'm hoping it fixes the choppy video pass-through problem. Could anyone find a link or article discussing this update. I also have the sony google tv blu-ray.:confused:

3. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    I got my update this morning, the Pandora app is now 1.1, but it looks the same.

Thats all I noticed

4. breitlingtim

breitlingtim New Member

Well I think my video problems have been solved. Watched espn for about 20 minutes and the bottom line scrolling was smooth the whole time. Fingers crossed it stays this way! Oh not sure but my optical mouse seems to be much smoother as well.

5. ctgtvuser

ctgtvuser New Member

If one of you that got the update wouldn't mind, could you please provide the revision number information - build number, etc.? I'm not sure I've received it - as it may have been installed when I wasn't looking. Thanks, in advance.

6. scottbridges

scottbridges New Member

The build number is as follows:

ogm_2.1_2011030201ON.165187

Dare I say they fixed the choppy video problem? I've been using the google tv blu ray again as a pass-through for my hd cable box and it appears as if the choppy video and skipping frames issue is fixed!!! I feel like I've got my google tv back FINALLY! :) I don't want to get too excited until it's all confirmed.

7. Pherball66

Pherball66 New Member

Mine is the same build as Scott's.

8. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    My build # is ogm_2.1_2011030201ON.165187

9. ctgtvuser

ctgtvuser New Member

Ditto - and the choppy video didn't seem to happen during the many b-ball HD games I watched since the new build was installed on my box on Saturday. I'll post this on the original choppy video post ... let's keep our fingers crossed as it appears to be fixed.

10. biggerbyte

biggerbyte New Member

I installed the update. I'm noticing some things that are post install. Netflix seems glitchy. It takes longer to log in than before. The menus are slower to refresh, and some don't refresh at all until I go back and try again. It is annoying when trying to select movies. Lastly, more times than not, I get an error when trying to remove movies from the queue.

I'm noticing some lag now, that at times is worse than others, in the general navigation of the Home screen
    Menus. Things don't seem as snappy as before. Sometimes a shut down/reboot helps.

Audio, at times, will get choppy and broken up when listening to Pandora. That was not an issue before.

So, though there are some enhancements, and maybe some improvements with this update, there are some negatives, at least for me, with it as well. I had just as soon stayed with the previous firmware and done without these negatives. I was quite happy with my rig. Netflix acting up like it is is a huge not. My family watches lots of movies.

11. futureboy

futureboy New Member

Try rebooting your unit. Use "Ctrl+Alt+Del(backspace)"

12. biggerbyte

biggerbyte New Member

It is strange.. I had before changed my DNS servers in the gateway from Google DNS, over to Sprint: 199.2.252.10, 204.97.212.10. The 204 one was the primary. Their servers showed to be much faster than Google. I kept having trouble with my logging into Netflix being very slow. Navigating within Netflix was also very slow and sluggish.
    Tonight I went back to Google DNS: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, and all is well again.

It makes no sense, but there it is.

13. biggerbyte

biggerbyte New Member

One thing I am still noticing. During playback of movie disks, DVD in particular, as well as while watching Netflix movies, there is this occasional jerkiness in the video. Looks like dropped frames. Watching Directv through passthrough seems to have much improved, however. They seem to be working on the overall issue, but this behavior while watching any sort of video is unacceptable. It is firmware related.

I've tried ctrl-alt-del, as well as doing a refresh of the software and deleting everything. Starting over actually fixed a nasty problem I was having with leanback and YouTube. Leanback on this device is not currently stable. So this time I chose not to try it out and YouTube is behaving properly again.

One thing I wish Sony would do... Give us a way to save our bookmarks and settings so that they can be restored if we need to restore the system to factory. It is a huge pain to have to go back and redo all of this.