Quantcast

Gooogle TV's Honeycomb update: not ready for prime time ?

Discussion in 'More News from Your Google TV News Team' started by Rickaren, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Gooole TV's Honeycomb update: Still not ready for prime time (hands-on)

November 2, 2011

[​IMG] (Credit: Matthew Moskovciak/CNET)
    It took Google an entire year to deliver a major update to the first round of Google TV products, and it has not been worth the wait. When Google announced the Honeycomb update last week, we had a twinge of optimism, based on the slick press photos and the stated mission of simplifying the user experience, which was sorely needed. But after playing with our Sony NSZ-GT1 Blu-ray player with Google TV for several hours today, our initial impressions were mostly of frustration.

New user interface and the TV & Movies app
    The redesigned graphics for Google TV are an improvement and that starts with the home screen, pictured above. You get a row of icons, including Netflix, the new TV & Movies app, and the Android Market.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the review Rickaren. It's nice to read a full review from CNET. Unfortunately the review was not very positive.

I'm on the Logitech Revue so here's to hoping the update will be better by the time it hits the Revue. -:)

3. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

In my opinion cnet people like to hate gtv, I couldn't understand someone would prefer have a single button remote to do smart tv. Roku and Apple remote are just too ugly, must be like browsing with a wiimote on opera...

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have the Playstation 3 and Logitech Revue, I can call BS on the claim Google TV needs a ton of work to equal the PS3 as an internet streaming player. I love the PS3, it is a great game console and media player, but for streaming video from the internet, I will take Google TV and use of the control made for the purpose and program queue over the PS3 any day. I haven't even gotten the update yet but it isn't going to make the Revue worse for the basic purpose of finding and streaming programming from the internet, I believe it will be even better than it already is. Other uses, I can't say because I don't do anything else with Google TV. The PS3 is Hulu+ capable and I may try a free trial to see if I like it but I was waiting for Google TV to be updated to handle Hulu+ since I prefer it for internet video streaming.

5. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

a tech reviewer is allowed his own opinions.. but some of that is a bit piddly.. if you go to google TV1 and do a search on Lost.. you will get various hits among these will be Lost series>then you are taken to a page where you can pick from the list which show of which season you wish>you choose net flix for instance>and that will load the net flix app and take you to the exact page where you can view it... some of his gripes are valid.. the control unit is just not great... but some of the gripes are just bitching about having to drill down... mho... and thats just the way searches op.. dont know about the amazon thing... not a member..

6. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

Exactly what he said.!

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I concur!

8. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

“…. TV & Movies app …… Google doesn't know which videos are Amazon Prime videos, which should be free for subscribers, nor does it know which content you already own on Amazon, which should show up as free. ….. “

So, TV & Movies app search of Amazon Prime looks kind of useless (same for “My Library”) and it doesn’t’ help to balance the lack of Queue in Amazon prime,... hopefully an Amazon App on its way!!

Q- Does Netflix App support native HD contents in 1080p/24fps & 5.1 Dolby Digital plus?

Cheers!

9. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

He said Google TV needs a ton of work to equal the PS3 for internet streaming. I said Google TV is already better for that purpose. How is that exactly what he said?

I have no frustrations at all using Google TV to find and stream internet programming, the basic and primary use for the product.

10. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

I really feel that was "bad" bad review I haven't used the OTA but while the user Debug was working for me GTV is far ahead of the PS3 in terms of browsing and viewing online content. Viewing local content on all the devices I have tried has never been a good experience(I havent used Boxee) but GTV I have always felt was more designed for online content that Local.

Bottom line for me GTV 2 is a major improvement over GTV 1

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Watch out, dude. Those are pretty harsh words. I've been penalized for saying far less.

12. daddypants

daddypants New Member

i disagree with this review. i have the LG wand as a remote on the other tv, and its weak sauce compared to my gmote on the google tv. simpler does not equal better.

this quote from the review is just wrong. i have the LG smart tv software on two devices, and they are seriously lacking compared with the google tv software. the apps this guy is referring to are lame on the LG setup. the netflix app is the exact same on the LG, but its so much worse with their stupid wand remote. even the youtube app is more limited. there's a facebook app that can not show videos, and huluplus app that makes you not want hulu. i like the PLEX app better on the LG, but otherwise the new google tv update is much better software with better apps and the superior remote. i'm loving the new update. haters gone hate, this cnet reviewer is talking out his ass. if they'd give us a full web browser with chrome and not this stripped down version, i think that would fix most of the bugs that irk me. there's so much potential here.

also, the ps3 and lg browser are pityful compared to the gtv chrome browser for streaming video from the net. there is a big difference. obviously the reviewer hasn't tried to spend much time using the ps3 to surf the net. the LG browser should just be called sike; i don't think it was ever meant to be used.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014