Quantcast

GoogleTV Relaunch; Now Includes Android Market, Cleaner UI & More!

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by dgstorm, Oct 28, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Moderator Staff Member

Google just launched their newest update of GoogleTV, and it is such a massive improvement, it could easily be called a relaunch of the product. Practically everything has been improved from the ground up. Here's a quote from GoogleTV's blog with some launch time-frames for different devices,
    Let's dive into the new features. Here's a complete breakdown of the most notable changes taken directly from the GoogleTV Blog:

Let's elaborate a little deeper on these features. First, the biggest and arguably best change is access to the Android Market. According to Google TV VP of Product Mario Queiroz, there will be around 40 or more featured apps that are optimized for Google TV, including QVC for Google TV, Wall Street Journal Live, Pandora, Clicker, Twitter & more. Furthermore, the number of compatible apps will be approximately 1600 to 1800 at first. It's important to note that this number will include many mobile apps that may just have been altered slightly to also run on the TV screen. Additionally, users can now install non-market apps which should appeal to the hackers and developers, and help to build a developer community that can improve the device over time.

Additional, the UI has been streamlined and the programming guide has been greatly enhanced, yet simplified. Their intention was to "get out of the viewer's way" as much as possible. In fact, the programming guide offers access to live TV listings along with online sources for video content, and there is even an (opt-in only) option to receive personalized recommendations based on your own past ratings and viewing patterns. Furthermore, searching for your favorite content is now easier than ever. Also, YouTube is no longer just an afterthought, but is more heavily integrated into the design to improve its usability and picture quality. You can now start YouTube videos in full screen mode immediately.

In a way, even though this is a pretty massive change, this new update is what GoogleTV aspired to be from the beginning, but failed to fully materialize. Overall, the changes are welcome and truly enhance the user experience for the fledgling product. We have included a couple of video demos for you to watch while you anxiously await your turn in the update Que this weekend.

Source: GoogleTV.blogspot and Gigaom

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 6
  2. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Administrator Staff Member

This is a huge update. I guess all this talk about Apple doing a TV lit a fire under Google ;) Good for the consumer!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

i just popped over to logitech forum.. and i swear... some of the complete asshat pills over there.. just gloom gloom.. they announce the upgrade being pushed soon and they still want to piss and moan like some is killing their puppy,, glad its take in a more positive view on this site.. stay upbeat!!!

just venting i guess..

• Like Like x 4
  4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

This part concerns me a bit:

"3. Make YouTube better on TVWe're launching a new YouTube experience specifically built for Google TV. It is now fast and easy to get to your favorite HD-quality YouTube entertainment. And we've integrated YouTube more closely with Google TV search, so that you can turn virtually any topic - mountain biking, cooking, etc. - into a channel."

-------------------------------------

I'm not a big fan of the YouTube leanback - as the current leanback version will only play in HD format - with no way to adjust playback to standard definition. This is important because for various reasons some people don't have fast enough broadband for HD. So I'm hoping that with the HC update we will still have the ability to view the regular web version of YouTube - and/or have the ability to adjust videos from leanback to 360P resolution.

• Like Like x 2
  5. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

Scuzzo I couldn't agree more. I just have to laugh at half of the posts over there

6. bidger

bidger Member

It sure would be nice if this board could integrate "sticky" threads, a central thread about a topic like this, because this weekend there will be an overflow of threads on this same topic.

I've complained about the fact that the update has taken so long, but I confess seeing this on the main page gave me a warm fuzzy.

7. o0adma0o

o0adma0o New Member

Finally! Woooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im not too upset since ive only had my Sony Blu ray Google TV for around a month. I hope Sony hurries up and gets this ready.

8. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

Yep lucky you, Sony devices will get their update first...

Someone know if Sony will send the update with is own serves and BW or if google will send the update... I think it will be google instead of that I don"t see any reason to not update Sony and Logitech in the same time... or maybe logitech is just not ready for Sunday... :(

9. imutau

imutau New Member

allthingsd.com/20111028/google-tv-software-update-ready-but-new-hardware-will-have-to-wait/

Sunday for Sony and Logitech Soon?

10. o0adma0o

o0adma0o New Member

I honestly thought the Revue would get it first and Sony a month or so later. lol Glad i was wrong... or so they say..

11. scarredupmario

scarredupmario New Member

I'll take soon rather than another missed google update. Great to finally get the announcement!

12. MStrawder

MStrawder New Member

Whoot! I've only been waiting about 2 months now for the update, but it will still be a welcomed change. The 3.1 UDB has been nice, but there's just a few annoying bugs I can't wait to see squashed with this release.

13. mitzoflick

mitzoflick New Member

Has anyone gotten their updates yet? I have my Sony tv ready to go but so far ... no updates. Im on US Central time.

14. axne1

axne1 New Member

No update here in Wisconsin. maybe tomorrow??? IDK?

HTC Evo 3d

• Like Like x 2
  15. luitron

luitron New Member

No update here yet too here in PA. :(

• Like Like x 6
  16. sumon

sumon New Member

No updates in MN yet. 32" TV and also Logitech Revue.

• Like Like x 4
  17. o0adma0o

o0adma0o New Member

I have the Somy Blu ray and nothinh in TX 5:40pm. They dont work on Sundays..

• Like Like x 2
  18. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Camby Indiana 6:54pm no update yet...........

19. CR96

CR96 New Member

No update here in Michigan for my Sony NSZ-GT1. I've been anxiously waiting all day...

20. les anderson

les anderson New Member

Nothing yet in Miami