Quantcast

GoogleTV more like Chrome then Android

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by SuperCaliber64, Aug 29, 2011.

1. SuperCaliber64

SuperCaliber64 New Member

GoogleTV is more like Chrome then Android. I use Chrome exclusively and have own Android phones since the 1st options from VZW.

Everything about GoogleTV seems to be more like a simplified Chrome OS box, the apps are actually web pages, like saving an app shortcut with Chrome. It even has the Chrome Star for bookmarking.

From what I can see of Honeycomb screen shots, it seems a little refaced but the same. The app market is a nice addition, but the Revue doesn't have an SD slot for expanding the memory, can the USB be used for this? I can see running out pretty quick. Which was the case on my 1st Android phone.

Not an issue on Chrome OS because apps are just a web pages.

What do you think?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Not all apps are bookmarks, and some bookmarks are for apps. For example, you can use the GTV Bookmark "Star" key to bookmark a channel from the LiveTV app. The Bookmark & Queue items in the Home page are an widgets. Media Player is a local application. On the Sony Internet TV's the Qrocity app calls a web page but then redirects you back into an app after making a selection. Amazon Instant Video & YouTube are web page bookmarks. So, you can't really make a blanket generalization in that regard.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  3. mkiker2089

mkiker2089 New Member

About the app versus bookmark thing also. Some of the better apps are bookmarks. Crackle for example has a webpage that works great with Google TV. Crackle on other streaming boxes pales in comparison and it's stored apps on those.

Also does it really matter if something is an app? An app is basically just a stored page anyway. Assuming it's something that is media driven, something that doesn't work offline like Crackle, Youtube, Netflix, etc... is there a benefit to an app versus bookmark? I see it like this, a bookmark is an app that auto updates as need be. An app has to ask permission and go through a process.

The future of media driven TV is going to be well designed dynamic pages that don't require permanent local storage. It's just better all around.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Well, some things are better off as app because of the HTML5, javascript, and Flash aren't always optimized for the hardware. Also, web based apps live in a "sandbox" and can't get access to local resources. So, it would make creating a web based media player that plays your local content impossible to do. Apps can also run in the background, like the Pandora app which will allow you to listen to music while it is in the background, where a webpage would stop playing if it didn't have focus.

But, yeah... there's always reasons in any platform to deploy an experience one way but not the other.

5. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

Really..web pages on GTV can't run in the background? I hope the HC update addresses that as it is a limitation. With HTML5 being implemented more, background processing will become more important in the future. Hopefully the need for proprietary apps lower with HTML5.

6. mkiker2089

mkiker2089 New Member

Web pages can run in the background, sort of. Even on Honeycomb there's the problem of one browser at a time. Soon as you open a new app or bookmark the page you were on closes, so Pandora would stop playing. Otherwise for video it wouldn't matter because you wouldn't want to open two videos. You may be able to use the "new window" thing on Pandora but I haven't tried. I have had several pages open at once like that but I didn't have music playing. I don't like background music for browsing.

7. SuperCaliber64

Native Client for Chrome 14 brings HTML5 closer to eliminating local apps. But I believe were still years away from that. The cost is greater for a small company to create and host a web app vs. a local app.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SuperCaliber64

Back to my OP, I'm just stating an observation that to date, GoogleTV seems more like Chrome then Android, having allot of experience with both.
    As an example, if you compare local Android Angry Birds with Chrome Angry Bird, the game play and quality is just not the same.

9. mkiker2089

mkiker2089 New Member

Angry Birds would be something I too would rather see as a stored app. I think browser based links work best with media that would have to be hosted on a server anyway. Netflix doesn't work without connecting to Netflix for example. In that respect I think you'll be pleased with Honeycomb. On the original software you had a link to grab games and could play other online games. On 3.1 you can download games via the app store and play them locally.