Quantcast

Google's TV And Social Network Plan

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Apr 26, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google's TV and social networking plans- MSN Money (click for full article)

"Since February, we have been detailing what I view as evidence Google (GOOG +0.94%) will move into the content delivery business. This would mark a huge change for the company. But as I see it, there is no better way for it to leverage its core assets and disrupt the social networking models of Facebook and other sites that have encroached on its territory.

In short, TV viewing habits have changed radically during the last decade, yet TV programmers and content delivery companies have not responded to these changes. Google is uniquely positioned to leverage its core assets and, with that, deliver a new TV experience.

If Google pulls that off in the fashion I think it can, the model would not only be very disruptive for social media sites like Facebook, it would also add radical new dimensions to broadcast TV that producers, advertisers, and performers would be quick to embrace.

We documented Google's FCC application for an antenna farm in Iowa where it could pull down TV programming just like cable companies do today.

We also documented license applications made in both Kansas and Missouri that would allow Google to deliver the programming across the 1Gbs fiber optic network it is building out on both sides of the state line in Kansas City.

However, that isn't the real story for Google -- it's just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to documenting the fundamental moves the company is making, it is positioned to "channelize" content from sources like YouTube, Google Earth, and Google Streetview that people can already use to tour historic sites around the world, as well as 151 museums in 40 countries.

However, that's only the start -- it's the leverage of these assets that makes the story interesting and potentially a very high profit and disruptive model for Google. "