Quantcast

Google's Secret Weapon For Social: Your Photos

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, May 23, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google's secret weapon for social: your photos — Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

"Somehow Trey Ratcliff must have missed the memo. Google+ is supposed to be a ghost town, if you believe numerous stories published over the past couple of months, but Ratcliff has been using the social network extensively to connect with fans and photo geeks alike.

He is hosting Hangouts about photography, sharing his latest pictures with his more than two million followers, and meeting people all over the world for real-life events. Ratcliff shrugged off the ghost town idea put forward by some tech pundits when I talked to him at the Google+ Photographers Conference in San Francisco on Tuesday, quipping, "They're obviously not following the right people."

Check out my entire video interview with Trey Ratcliff, or continue reading below:

Ratcliff isn't alone in his use of Google+. Photographers in particular have embraced the social network with enthusiasm, making use of the way it presents photos within news feeds and the integrated lightbox that makes it easy to browse entire galleries. This has led to not only grassroots-organized Google+ photo walks - meet ups of like-minded photographers who go out in the field and take photos together - but also a Google+ specific conference that is bringing amateur and professional photographers to San Francisco this week. "It's exploded," said conference organizer Scott Kelby about photographs flocking to Google+. "I've never seen anything like it."

Google has obviously been paying attention to this. You only have to look to the recent revamp of the Google+ iOS app, which now puts a much bigger emphasis on photos, to see where things are going for Google+."

Last edited: May 23, 2012