Quantcast

Google's mis-steps that will sink the Google Tv

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by glebreck, Oct 23, 2010.

1. glebreck

glebreck New Member

Well it appears that Google has taken a page from Microsoft. You know....Make the software then leave it to your partners to screw it up.

Let me say I own both the Sony Blu-ray player and the Logitech Revue. While I think these products are a awesome step forward, they are very limited.

First they only partnered with Dish. Dish market share is lower than Direct, and Time Warner. It is bigger than Fios and Uverse but is not growing at the same rate.

Next...Absolutely no codec consistency between the two products. It is ridiculous that something that is supposed to change your viewing experience doesn't support all file types across the board. After all you can buy a media player for tv that streams anything for 100 buck!

Next...Under powered. Plain and simple. Browsing is slow and a flash site will about kill it. Lots of IR lag. I have been doing home automation installations for 10 years and have not had these issues with lag.

Next... Didn't they think to talk to the major networks? I mean come on almost all network show sites have shut them out.

Next....This one is for the Revue...The harmony app in all the videos was said to control you whole av system. In one of the videos when they showed it they actually had functions like a harmony remote. It is not like this. You will only be able to control the dvr, tv, amp, and gtv box. Dont know about you but that is not the whole system, and is definitely not like the Harmony system that logitech boasted was built into it.

Finally...Just timing. They need to control their partners. Tell to deliver what was promised.

Basically we have been sold a half-ass product. And I don't mean t like it's junk. I mean it like it's not complete. Wait for the apps (although android has been released), wait for the market place, wait to see if 3rd parties put out better streaming players.

Please realize that I love the direction this product is going. I just can't stand that a company has delivered a product that could actually change things and has done it in-complete.

Blame Sony and Logitech all you want. It always goes back to google. Tell them what it needs to do. Must of the short comings are common sense. If they dont like it...get a new partner.

• Like Like x 2
  2. nerdkill

nerdkill New Member

Well it appears that Google has taken a page from Microsoft. You know....Make the software then leave it to your partners to screw it up.

so they should be more like apple and close it down?

Next...Under powered. Plain and simple. Browsing is slow and a flash site will about kill it. Lots of IR lag. I have been doing home automation installations for 10 years and have not had these issues with lag

this just isn't true, my browsing has been surprisingly fast and ZERO ir lag. although i think ir was a mistake.

Next... Didn't they think to talk to the major networks? I mean come on almost all network show sites have shut them out

um they are?

Next....This one is for the Revue...The harmony app in all the videos was said to control you whole av system. In one of the videos when they showed it they actually had functions like a harmony remote. It is not like this. You will only be able to control the dvr, tv, amp, and gtv box. Dont know about you but that is not the whole system, and is definitely not like the Harmony system that logitech boasted was built into it.

that is the initial release of the app and it will be updated.

Finally...Just timing. They need to control their partners. Tell to deliver what was promised.

this doesn't really make sense, don't know what timing has to do with it, but i think i understand what you're saying... still doesn't make sense. android got huge by telling partners what they were and were not allowed to do right??? the whole point of android was that it's open and manufacturers can do what they want with it.

Basically we have been sold a half-ass product. And I don't mean t like it's junk. I mean it like it's not complete. Wait for the apps (although android has been released), wait for the market place, wait to see if 3rd parties put out better streaming players.

so you want them to not release a product because the software updates haven't arrived yet? that just doesn't make sense. just don't buy it until they're released. people like me would have preferred they released the hardware with no software loaded so we could stare at it for a year waiting for it to do something. i just don't understand your point. i would understand your complaint if they weren't going to add these things, then it would be incomplete. i guess they should have waited for froyo before they released the droid x because it didn't have flash on it. IT'S INCOMPLETE!

just relax and wait for the updates and then go get it... it'll probably be cheaper at that point and you'll be less upset by nothing. what i do agree with you about is the dish exclusivity. it's insane to lock something down when people don't even know what the product is or why they want or need it. you're trying to get something off the ground and you stick it with dish? i just don't understand that, i hope they got a fat check and it's not forever. ridiculous

3. shrktank

shrktank New Member

Just got mine this morning and have not had much time to mess with it yet. By I am getting some of the same immersions as you. I looked at some video clips from NHL games and the quality was not very good. I will mess with it for a few days and hopefully my question regarding live games will be answered.

I think the concept of the device is sound and may tame some tweaking from google to make it what it should be

4. glebreck

glebreck New Member

Don't get me wrong. I love the product and what it means to the future, but plain and simple it is not ready for main stream. A company like google has the resources to make this a reality and it just falls short.

I am mobile right now but want to take the time to say that waiting may not fix the problem. Especially when it comes to the enlarge player. Most home equipment is based off of what chips they have for the codecs they will support. If the file format is not supported then it won't work no matter the software. Just think back to media center extended. I have a blog where I will go into depth on this. More later.

5. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

I agree to a point...codecs can be transcoded on the fly, but I see your point about it being immature at this stage. :)

6. Maxxsterling

Maxxsterling New Member

I disagree with the fact that Google TV isn't ready for mainstream. I actually think some of its shortcomings right now are due to the fact that it seems to be more optimized for people who have some sort of cable service..well, ok, just Dish for now. Think about it. Other than the fact that Dish isn't a major player (yet), as long as you can still use it in conjunction with your DVR, who cares if you can't download the show from the website? If you are setting your DVR to record whatever shows you watch, Revue is going to help you facilitate that.

Now, I agree that for right now, those of you who don't have cable service and only stream your shows feel like that is a stupid flaw. But if you think about the fact that you're actually in the minority, it sort of makes sense for the first real iteration of this device to cater more to the typical consumer who has cable service. It will be easier for those people who don't stream anything yet, to start making the transition to understanding that you can get all this content in more than just one way.

I know that Google is smart enough to continue to expand GoogleTV, but I think this was an attempt to make things easier for the normal tv viewer instead of the poweruser. All of us that are visiting this forum are obviously power users and are really in the minority. I work for NBC in my market (in master control) and I get the numbers on viewer share. I know that more people are watching tv or DVR/time-shifting as opposed to full streaming without cable. I don't think there is a viable solution (right now) for anybody to make the type of profit that was being made by networks through advertising. And that's why this may seem to fall flat. Say what you want, but TV shows are about ad revenue. It's unfortunate, but true. Until they figure out a way to make close to the same revenue that was generated by advertising, networks are not going to get on board with GoogleTV. That's why HuluPlus STILL makes you watch ads...it's a broken way that they still look at programming, but until that changes, that's how the Networks look at it.

I luckily have Dish network, and am still waiting for them to release the Revue. I am still incredibly excited for GoogleTV though and am along for the ride, even though it's starting out slightly bumpy.

7. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

I think there is too much preoccupation with the networks, and they have made their beds on the subject. I guess my (and perhaps the OP to some degree) feel like GTV could have come out with an even more compelling feature-set, polished UI/hardware and perhaps more content partners...I think loads of folks are indeed antsy to 'cut the cord' and looking for product(s) that make it a viable option...GTV doesn't appear to be that device, at this time. False expectations? Perhaps..but they woulda, coulda, shoulda..they are poised to do it, imho. :)

8. glebreck

glebreck New Member

I have started a new tech blog for reviewing things I think are cool. And I just finished writing something on the whole mainstream or not thing like I talked about above. It's to big to post here. So read it at my site geek can do | the silver fox shares his opinions

Let me know what you think and send some idea to me.