Quantcast

Google's Entertainment Strategy Is In Disarray

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Mar 13, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google's entertainment strategy is in disarray | Media Maverick - CNET News (click for full article)

"Google can't seem to get the hang of selling music and movies over the Internet--a goal that has similarly befuddled Microsoft, AOL, Yahoo, and others.

Sources told CNET that there has been internal competition for control of Google's content strategy between the Android unit, overseen by Andy Rubin (pictured), and Robert Kyncl, the chief of YouTube's content.

Google TV was dead on arrival. YouTube's video-rental service is at best an also-ran, and that service also faces a possible exodus of major record labels to rival Facebook sometime next year. Google Music no longer exists as a standalone service. Last week, the search company folded the three-month-old music store into the newly revamped Android Market.

Google's misfires illustrate just how hard it is to become a major media player. In Web search, Google is the force to be reckoned with, but otherwise it is just one of many Web companies scrambling to cut deals with movie studios and music labels. "

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am afraid if this statement continues to be offered when discussing the product, it will become self fulfilling because people will believe it since they read it on the internet. I hope LG, Vizio and Samsung get their Google TV products in Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Target and the advantages compared to the competition become apparent and the product takes off.

3. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

that cnet little apple fanboi.... if you have checked any of his articles you will start to see a theme... he just loves to rag google... and he sees apple tv as being the golden boy,,, i dont hold any stock in his reports.. alot of it is just apple spin.. and he uses this expert opinion and his pulpit to just slag.... its just way too bias to be taken serious..

mho....

strike that... wrong author... i thought it was that matt mackovichiak or what ever... i still dont trust cnet to fair.... seems like they really dont like anything but that apple box and the roku... but... who knows.. the min vizio goes on sale im getting one... and will really dig the lame unfocused technology.... dose all i need it to do..

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The part about Google Music being "folded" into Google Play as being a negative - was off base IMO. It's better that Google consolidated it's entertainment services under one roof. (Although it has been reported that Google Music is losing users). It's still early in the game though...

Also I don't understand why YouTube movie rentals don't work with GTV - but I suspect it has to do with licensing deals and DRM. But really IMO for YouTube movie rentals they need to make it available on GTV. Or do it through android market for GTV.

Last but not least - I think Google needs to partly subsidize the cost of the GTV hardware (either with their own branded GTV box or with third party manufacturers). Apple TV makes a lot of money from iTunes purchases so they can afford to subsidize the Apple TV hardware. A third party GTV manufacturer doesn't have this same luxury. Also Roku/Apple hardware is less expensive than GTV hardware because they don't have HDMI overlays and they don't require a full qwerty keyboard.

For these reasons it's hard for a third party GTV manufacturer to compete with Apple TV/Roku. And we saw from the first generation of GTV hardware that trying to market it as "high-end" priced hardware sold poorly. Google needs a $99 GTV box IMO in order to compete (and reasonably priced TVs) - however at those prices Manufacturers have a tough go and are only showing lukewarm interest.

The more GTV devices that are out there - the more ads and the more content Google can sell - so it makes sense (that in order to jump-start the GTV platform) Google needs to partly subsidize the cost of the hardware.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 2