Quantcast

Google's Chromecast HDMI streaming Device Detailed

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by dgstorm, Jul 24, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

We have some juicy Google news to share with you guys today! Amongst the plethora of exciting announcements from Google today came a unique and intriguing new product. It's called the Google Chromecast, and it will retail for $35 bucks. This device is basically an HDMI dongle which can seamlessly and wireless share streaming 1080p HD video content throughout all your devices including your home TV.

Here's the full details of all this amazing little device is capable of:
    • Two-inch USB device that runs "a simplified version of Chrome OS"
    • Requires separate USB power
    • You can connect it to your local WiFi network and similarly connected devices will work with Chromecast
    • Early adopters will get three free months of Netflix
    • It is an HDMI-CEC compatible, and it uses 2.4GHz 801.11 b/g/n WiFi.
    • Apps that work with the device include a "Cast" button - this allows users to push video to their televisions and control various aspects remotely (volume, play, pause, etc.).
    • According to Google Reps, "Once Chromecast is plugged in, you just go to YouTube on your smartphone. You'll see the cast button in your UI and you press it -- Chromecast will pull the info you requested from the cloud and play it on your TV."
    • YouTube, Netflix, Google Play movies and more will be remotely controllable with the Chromecast
    • Google showed Google Chrome projected on a TV and controlled remotely with a "standard $500 Windows 8 laptop." They indicated that this feature was only in beta but they expected to improve it quickly with feedback.
    You can order the Chromecast today (again for $35 bucks) and it will ship in 1-2 days. It will also be available in retail stores (like Best Buy) on July 28th.

Be sure to check out our dedicated section on the Google Chromecast right here @: Google Chromecast

Here's a link to it in the Google Play Store for more info or to order one - Google Play Store - Chromecast

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. scubaman

scubaman New Member

I'm puzzled... you call it a USB dongle. But it seems to plug into an hdmi port, not a USB. The rendition does show a USB port at the end, presumably to power it. Yet the video shows it being inserted without power supplied to it. Marketing guys left to their own devices showing a half-story? Puzzled by this thing, tempted because the price is just about a nice bottle of wine

3. rustem

rustem New Member

Useless device, unless you have an old or cheap TV set. With Android phone I can stream my YouTube videos to my smart TV without any dongles. And most modern TV's have some remote control Android app.

4. dgstorm

dgstorm Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for spotting my typo. Good catch! OP updated. :)

5. veraderock

veraderock Administrator Staff Member

It uses both.. It plugs into your HDMI input, however has a micro USB slot on the back for power. Hopefully your TV has a USB port as well so that you can plug it into your TV's USB slot for power, otherwise you will have a wire falling from your TV to plug the USB end into a wall adapter.

6. veraderock

I disagree with you on the "useless device" comment. Not everyone has a "modern" TV, where as this will work on older TVs. While traveling, this would be great to get your laptop browser up on the hotel room TV, or stream your Netflix shows.. It's more likely random TV's you come across will support HDMI then have an Android app or Smart TV setup..

Granted this isn't going to better then someone who has put a little effort into their own permanent home setup, but for $35 it's great start for some, and perfect travel companion..

7. yorT

yorT New Member

One thing modern TVs can't do is have a full chrome browser which you can stream whatever internet site you are on to your TV.

8. bella1li12013

bella1li12013 New Member

I feel u.Absolutely,few chance to use it.

9. veraderock

I was excited about this, however after trying it out, I'm really disappointed with the browser casting.. The image didn't fill the screen, graphics look very degraded, and no mouse pointer so you would still have to be watching your computer screen to navigate. I'll try it again, but my first go was very disappointing. I'm still happy with the device overall for the music/netflix/youtube, just not the browser feature (yet).

• Like Like x 2
  10. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The Chromecast browser feature is supposed to get better and come out of beta within a few months when Chrome 30 becomes available.

11. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

I'd say to have the best experience with (the current beta of) Chromecast browser feature:

1. For Netflix site - here
    2. For YouTube site - here
    3. For all other sites - change video bitrate & Auto resize - here
    4. For all other sites - follow Minimum System Requirements - here
    5. Strong WiFi signal / high speed internet w/ sustained bandwidth.

For instance, this Hulu video, doesn't look so bad (via Chromecast browser).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013