Quantcast

Google's ChromeCast available for pre-order incl. 3 mths Netflix - $35 + s/h + tax

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by mrspock, Jul 24, 2013.

1. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Chromecast:

The easiest way to enjoy online video and music on your TV.
    Plug Chromecast into any HDTV and control it with your existing smartphone, tablet, or laptop. Send your favorites from Google Play, YouTube, Netflix, and Chrome to your TV with the press of a button.
    Ships soon
    Ships by August 2, 2013.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=chromecast

A possible solution for those wanting HBO Go & ESPN that do not work on GTV

UPDATE: Now available from Amazon (Saves Shipping and Tax for some)

http://www.amazon.com/Google-Chromecast-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00DR0PDNE/

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

I can't tell if this device bodes well, or badly, for the future of GTV.

3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

It all depends if Apple is correct that AirPlay is good enough for most people, and whether apps actually support it and support it with full resolution let alone the background play capability that Google is claiming. I'm buying one to check out. I can always throw it on a TV somewhere.

4. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

believe me once jellybean gets pushed and IF its not hobbled, meaning any thing on the play store will be avail.. and if xbmc cooks get involved and are able to get a xbmc apk.. this will make GOOGLE tv a clean slate.. thats the only reason i went with a 2gen device.. that and it was 100 bucks.. i dont see any of this cromecast of huge importance.. its neat.. but unless it can do plex or xbmc, i can pretty much get the same effect with an hdmi cable comming from the tablet... i will just keep throwing some chips in the pot right now.... but if GTV decides to back out of full Jelly Bean updates... its going to be kinda bad... jelly bean will be the tipping point of gtv imho... if they fudge it up with all sorts of wrongness.. then im cashing out... too too many other better options.. we will see in Q3..

• Like Like x 4
  5. jonw747

More the question is going to be whether we can run PLEX or XBMC on our phones/tablets/pcs and stream what we want to the Chromecast. It's going to come down to App support and DRM concerns. Even if GTV was to stay up to date with the latest Android OS, a tablet/phone is going to be an easier, faster, and more familiar interface to most people.

Big question #1: ... Google claims they can stream video from web pages, but what's going to happen when I go to Hulu on my PC running Chrome and tell it to stream to my Chromecast? I suspect nothing good.

btw, it's a big TBD to see how much of the store opens up to GTV even if we get JellyBean. An app should be written for GTV, not just run on it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Well the GTV Jellybean update adds hardware support for DRM - so I'm thinking a lot of these things that you mention won't be ideal for GTV because GTV is not an "open" device like the android TV sticks from China. For instance if there is some kind of XBMC app for GTV after the Jellybean update - certain things won't run on the GTV version because of the DRM.

• Like Like x 2
  7. CatfishRivers

I watched the video demonstration of Chromecast - it actually streams the content from the cloud to the TV. So this means full 1080P resolution and 5.1 surround sound. You can also use your phone/tablet/laptop to do something else while the content is streaming to the TV via Chromecast.

8. CatfishRivers

9. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

I think GTV is far too much a niche market to hope for anything more than "just run on it".. I'll be much happier even with that. Maybe a few apps, media-centric (ie. XBMC, VLC, etc) will find enough users to merit doing something GTV-specific.

10. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

I will say that

a) especially given the bundled Netflix, this seems like a great price
    b) having to switch to a different HDMI input drastically lowers the WAF

11. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

I'm going to wait until Amazon or Best Buy gets this in stock. Apparently Amazon was supposed to also start pre-selling this today.

12. jonw747

That's interesting. I'd never heard of DRM being used to block apps that don't care about DRM. The problem is usually the reverse ... a content provider refusing to allow their App to be run on a device that won't protect their content with DRM. For instance, even on the IPad using AirPlay mirroring to an ATV, there are some Apps that will stream video just fine using this, and some that won't.

It all sounds good until the App you want to view on your TV isn't supported or won't "cast".

13. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

14. jonw747

Somehow all the lofty claims seem to fall to pieces once you have your hands on a device. :)

We'll see if this device is going to be any different.

At least Google isn't over-promising at this point, but still, when they say you can stream video from your Chome browser ... you expect it's going to stream.

15. jonw747

Thanks. Just cancelled my order from Google and placed one with Amazon and signed up for Prime. It looks like you can get it from Amazon or BB and still get the free Netflix offer (which applies even to existing accounts). If you already subscribe to Netflix, this device is nearly a freebie.

16. CatfishRivers

17. Travel

Travel Active Member

Okay, you stick the Chromecast into the HDMI port-#2 of your HDTV, and you already have GoogleTV with the GS7 in the HDMI port-#1.

Now what?

Pretend you're explaining it to a household pet.

What's the advantage of the Chromecast, standalone, with the above set-up (without regard for tablets, phones or P.C. content)?

What functionality does it enable that you don't already have?

If you already have Netflix and You Tube capability, why do you need chromecast?

18. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Already 34 reviews, pretty funny. It is certainly priced right, $35 including 3 months of Netflix. I will need to plug it into my AVR and that will require a longer cable, I can't imagine I am alone in wanting audio processing done through the surround sound system. I can't see how it will add anything for me but for such a small price, I will probably order it.

19. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Apparently there are some people who already have it from attending some Google event earlier.

Following is a good demo

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  20. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013