Quantcast

Google's Chrome OS Gets A Much Needed Update

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Aug 12, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

2. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

I still don't understand the purpose of chrome. Why not just focus on android OS? I wonder if the two OSes will eventually merge into one?

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Converging the two operating system might be the "5 or 10 year plan". The idea is that Android still has a reputation for being an OS for the mobile market for low end processors. Whereas, the Chrome OS is meant for big processors found on PCs and laptops. However, since Google TV has been added into the mix with its Atom Processor, they're going to have to make provisions for this CPU to be a part of the Android branch. If they stick with it, then they have a path for the two operating systems to collide... uh, I mean merge.

4. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

I thought chrome was designed for low cost, internet connected (cloud enabled) laptops and tablets...not high end powerful stuff. Android can do the same thing. Thus I don't understand why having both.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Also Google is involved in a big android lawsuit in the courts - thus IMO one reason for the Chrome OS would be that if the courts rule heavily against Google in the android lawsuit - Google could potentially fall back on the Chrome OS (perhaps tweak it a bit) and have it take over as their primary operating system.