Quantcast

Google Voice's Talk Softphone Via Co-Star's Browser or App?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by plac, Feb 5, 2013.

1. plac

plac New Member

Hello all, Anyone had any luck running Google Voice softphone from chrome/gmail.com or through any compatible co-star app? When I go to gmail / google voice softphone dialer; it asks me to choose which voice driver to install, debian or fedora, but I haven't got a freakin clue. I did see a few apps, but I don't know which are compatible. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Google Voice:
    https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Google+Voice&c=apps
    Make cheap international calls with your Google number. Send free text messages. Place calls and send text messages showing your Google number. Listen to voicemail and read transcripts.
    Currently only available in the US. IMPORTANT: You must open Google Voice at least once after upgrading to route calls.When using Google Voice for Android, both domestic and international calls are placed through a US-based Google Voice access number, and will use the standard minutes from your cell phone plan.

Thanks in Advance,
    plac

6 x 4 x 1.4 inch nano PC, $70 Ebay:
    Dell FX170 Thin Client "Nettop".
    $Dell FX170 or FX130, Devon TC5C or TC2, or 10Zig 5600Series.jpg

google voice googletv

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  2. plac

plac New Member

PS: Doesn't look good. A google search for "Vizio Co-Star google voice" brings up only this post inquiry. The Google Voice app appears to be for Android only; and doesn't show up at all from the Co-Star. I emailed Vizio Customer Support last night also, and will post any results. Will also now try "voice" through the Co-star browser gmail, by adding the Fedora drivers (probably wasting my time).

Edit: Just found this googletvforum link from last year where he was able to dropbox the voice app to GoogeTV device from his cell phone. Anyone here familiar with how I might accomplish this? Maybe I'll PM the guy in the thread.

Edit: I found where to download the app, but I don't know how to dropbox it in. HELP?

plac

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  3. Eric262e

Eric262e New Member

On my Vizio Co-Star it says it has a Phone App - how do i get it to work...

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I downloaded Google Voice APK on my Logitech Revue from this web page (see link below):

Download Google Voice 0.4.2.72.apk Android app

I then installed it with ES File Explorer app. No need to use dropbox.

The Google Voice app opens and it looks like some limited aspects of it might work (possibly the voicemail, texts and notifications?) However it tells me to go to the Google Voice web site and sign-up for an assigned phone number. Once on the Google Voice web site (with my Logitech Revue) - I can get as far as checking the box for a phone number of my choice - but then the web page is "frozen". (There is no way to make the web page scroll down in order to click "continue").

So bottom line I'm not able to get set up with a Google assigned phone number.

Also the voice and video chat plugin that users download and install so their browsers can take advantage of cameras, microphones, and speakers installed in the computer - doesn't work with GTV.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: I was finally able to get a Google assigned phone number - after I checked the box for my preferred number on Google Voice web site and experienced the frozen page - I was able to fix this and get the page to scroll down by pressing the Tab key on my keyboard several times. I then clicked "Continue" on the bottom - and Presto! I was set up with the Google phone number.

I'm not sure exactly what will function - but on the Google Voice web site it says:

"Welcome to Google Voice. Google Voice gives you a single phone number that rings all of your phones, saves your voicemail online, and transcribes your voicemail to text. Other cool features include the ability to listen in on messages while they're being left, block unwanted callers, and make cheap international calls. We hope you enjoy using Google Voice."

Making phone calls from within Gmail doesn't work with my Logitech Revue.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  5. plac

plac New Member

Cat,
    I've used voice for many years. Google voice has a softphone which allows you to make unlimited free calls in the USA. You can also call your own personal number from any other phone and hold the star button down while dialing to prompt to make free long distance calls from any phone. Use it at work to make long distance calls. One of the more popular functions is that you can give everyone that number and then have it ring all of your phones at the same time.

• Like Like x 2
  6. plac

plac New Member

PS: I spoke with Vizio regarding the voice app and it's drivers for gmail. The support tech was a green pea, and told me that GTV is not Linux; and that Vizio doesn't support the apps. I'm going to try the driver sets now, one and then the other; and will report back.

7. CatfishRivers

I'm thinking that the other poster that posted he sideloaded Google Voice on GTV and said it works great - was exagerating a bit. The drivers and extensions for making calls within Gmail won't work with GTV - however IMO that poster was referring to receiving online notifications of incoming texts/calls through the app on his TV. And texts/voicemails can be viewed through the Google Voice inbox.

In other words some specific "limited" functionality from the sideloaded app is possible.

8. plac

plac New Member

The Linux drivers didn't work;
    EDIT: and so I went to http://voice.google.com, and it does make calls pc to pc, but not pc to phone. Looks like maybe Google has disabled VOIP through GTV.

9. CatfishRivers

I don't really see what the big advantage of this is? I tried it and Google calls a number and connects that number to my regular telephone. So? Is taking the time to go to the Google Voice web site and typing in a number to call supposed to be easier than just picking up my phone and pressing the numbers to dial?

It's not really like Google gives people a real free telephone line.

10. plac

plac New Member

Cat,
    I can use it to make long distance calls from work's phone. I can also use it to save minutes on my cell phone; free calls and texts. Again, it does not work through GTV, works gtv to pc, meaning that family logged into gmail will hear their pc google number ringing).

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  11. CatfishRivers

Ok thanks for clarifying. Can you test with the GTV sideloaded app when you get a text message does a notification display on the TV screen? That might be the useful feature of the app that works with GTV.

12. plac

plac New Member

GTV, chrome browser, went to voice.google.com and it's weird. Outgoing calls ring my pc logged into gmail and calls then complete from there once you answer from pc. I dunno... it seems that this might be a temporary patch until they can get microphone support.

13. plac

plac New Member

How about giving me a few step by step pointers on getting the app installed using the gtv box; or pc then gtvbox.
    Thanks in advance,
    plac

14. CatfishRivers

Ok first go to Google Play Store and install ES File Explorer (if you haven't already done so).

Next use this link (see below) to a web page with the Google Voice APK to download:

Download Google Voice 0.4.2.72.apk Android app

Click the link on that web page to download the Google Voice APK.

Next go to ES File Explorer "downloads" section. Click on the Google Voice download to install it on your Co-Star.

• Like Like x 2
  15. plac

plac New Member

Ahh, so I can download apps via browser by avoiding playstore. Thanks.

Voice installed fine and it's giving me call notifications. Outgoing calls are doing the same patch job where it rings the computer, or sends me to my computer, and then completes the call from there (probably due to null microphone support).

Thanks again,
    plac

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  16. CatfishRivers

Thanks for the information - as I suspected that poster on the other thread (that sideloaded Google Voice on GTV and said it works "great") - was most likely referring to the call notifications showing up on his TV.

• Like Like x 2
  17. plac

plac New Member

Yea, like maybe he don't even know what google voice is. You can get 5 numbers and use them as job or credit references (just kidding).

18. CatfishRivers

I just made a few interesting discoveries about Google Voice on my Logitech Revue!

Last night I decided to uninstall the app and test the Google Voice web site.

First I set up an outgoing voice mail greeting on my assigned Google phone number.

Then I had a friend call that number and leave a voice message.

He left a full 3 minute message and then it cuts off. (So 3 minutes are allowed on incoming voice messages). I then received an email notification that I had a Voice mail. Then from within my Gmail there was an option to play the message. I clicked to play the message and it transferred me to Google Voice web page where the full message played perfectly on my Logitech Revue! Sweet!

It also said that no transcript of that message was available in text. Not sure why. No big deal but I believe Google Voice is supposed to transcribe voice messages into text.

Also my friend said he experienced a "glitch" when he called my Google number and tried leaving his message. After my outgoing message told him to leave his incoming message at the beep - and then after it beeped the outgoing message repeated over again (a second time) and then beeped again - after this he was successfully able to leave his 3 minute voice message.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just sent a text message to my friend's cell phone from the Google Voice web site (with my Logitech Revue). It works good -:)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Update: Several hours later and now my voicemails from Google Voice won't play from the Google Voice website with my Logitech Revue. I'm not sure why it was working earlier but not now. I tried rebooting and that didn't fix it.

** Update #2: Just re-installed the Google Voice app and I was able to listen to my voicemails that way. I'm also able to send text messages with my Logitech Revue (to my friend's cell phone) with both the app and Google Voice web site.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  19. plac

plac New Member

Just for clarification, you can drive to your job (any phone) and make free long distance calls by calling your GV number and pressing and briefly holding the star key until Google automated operator picks up; and just follow the prompts.

• Like Like x 2
  20. CatfishRivers

Interesting thanks for the tip. I called my Google number from my home phone and long pressed the star key as you suggested. I then got the automated operator with different choices of functions. I can also change my voice message and listen to my voicemails from my home phone in this manner. To be able do this I had to register a pin number from the Google Voice web site. This is done from within the settings menu (click the icon on top right of Google Voice web site for settings menu).

I have a question. My home phone is the number I have registered with Google Voice. So if I called my Google number from my home phone, followed the prompts to make a long distance call - would that call be free? Or would the charges be billed to my home telephone?

In reading your posts I'm thinking that the answer is YES - calls are free to anywhere in USA. And Google claims "low rates" for international calls.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013