Quantcast

Google Voice

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Towelie, May 18, 2011.

1. Towelie

Towelie New Member

I had been wanting to let my mobile phone contract cancel so I could avoid a bill as I hardly use my phone now a days, and could save about $70 per month. Before I let it go, i made sure that i was on Google Voice so that i could still use my G1 like a mini wifi computer for texts and randomly using the web at different wifi spots. anyways, i noticed how just before my phone cancelled completely, I could turn on my GTV and pull up google voice and make a call where it would ring my phone, then ring the party i was calling once i answered the call to myself. since my phone service is no longer connected, I have not been able to make calls as I believe that it would locate my phone via the sim card, which no longer works I'm guessing. Is it possible to connect the old blue tooth device, that came with my phone initially, to my GTV to make calls over the GV website. I assume it is possible with a regular mic headset from a laptop or normal PC using GV. Any ideas/thoughts?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. CatfishRivers

• Like Like x 2
  4. CatfishRivers

I posted a question on the Logitech Revue forum about whether the Revue will have full USB host functionality with the upcoming update. I asked this question specifically to an android developer that attended the big Google I/O conference last week. He had a chance to speak to the Google engineers and employees at the conference. He was favorable that the Revue will have full USB host. Here was his reply:

"No problem at all! I'm glad I can share the information with people here, I hate to see some people on the forum out of the loop on some things because logitech doesn't really let us know a whole lot (despite them maybe not hearing things from google either).

But anyway, well as far as usb host when I had talked to them they didn't really give me the "Definitely!" answer I was hoping for. However, when I had asked them about usb host being in 3.1 on the revue they said that "They didn't see why not" in terms of will xbox 360 controllers and other peripherals be supported. My friend that I was with was excited since he wants to design games for the revue using controllers (Which would open up a whole new experience with GTV) and the google engineers were excited for it too. So I don't see why the revue wouldn't support different types of peripherals considering the boasting of USB host that everyone is excited about.

Short answer: More than likely it will have USB host support. Don't worry too much about next generation hardware, they seem to understand that a lot of people still have the revue and they didn't come across seeing the revue as a dieing hardware. Plus they haven't discussed any plans regarding "revue 2" or something at the conference so I'm pretty sure the revue isn't going away any time soon"

• Like Like x 2
  5. Towelie

Towelie New Member

thanks for the heads up CFR.