Quantcast

Google Updates Their TV and Movies App for the Google TV with Some Major Revisions

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by dgstorm, Apr 18, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

It appears that Google has done a refresh update on their TV and Movies app for Google TV, and it brings about some fairly significant changes. The app is now much more user friendly and searches for the TV shows and movies that you are looking for much faster and easier than before. You also now have more personalized choices across all of your content, better favorites management, a Trending This Week feature and a ratings system to help sort things. It even sorts content from your cable or satellite provider to make everything much more organized and user-friendly.

This is definitely worth taking the time to check out. For more detailed descriptions head over to the source link below from Google.

Source: Google TV Blog

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mikeylito

Mikeylito New Member

It took 24 hours, but the update finally showed up after the announcement.

I like it.
    As a stand-alone app, it's pretty cool.
    It would be better if the LiveTV app was completely up-to-date with channel lineups.
    [I realize that's not the app's fault.]

On a personal level, it would be even better interfaced with getGlue since, in some ways, it's doing similar things.

All in all, it's a good app.

3. Shadez

Shadez New Member

Just keeps getting better... :)

4. nc_driver

nc_driver New Member

I have basic Time-Warner Cable, and I'd like to add CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX to my favorite channels across the top of the new "TV & Movies" screen, but when I try to add these as favorites, I can only find about 1/2 of them. For instance, when I type "W" into the search box, I see the station call letters for the local CBS, ABC, and NBC stations, but not the local FOX station. So, how does the system know what stations it can search for?

Secondly, my search only brings up the SD version of my local stations. It will search and find CBS at channel 3, but not its HD equivalent at station 5.1. If I change the "SD/HD" drop-down to "HD only", I can't find any stations. Again, I'm not sure how it determines which stations are searchable.

5. Mikeylito

Mikeylito New Member

Hi, nc_driver.

Use the main Settings app, select Video Input, and make sure you have the correct channel lineup.
    Often, they'll have one selection for Analog and a second for Digital.
    So, make sure you check all the lineups before making your selection.

If you're sure you have the correct source selected, use the Settings panel in the LiveTV app to select your stations.
    I know from reading that you already know this. I would suggest, however, keying in the entire channel ID (e.g. WCBS).
    My cable system shows some services on three different channels. So, I had to make sure I had my preferred one selected.

After all this, you may still run into some lineup differences. I know. It's happened to me.
    Google, like most publishers, uses lineups supplied by another company, probably Tribune Media Services.
    If there are differences, I don't know who to complain to.

I hope some of this helps.

Ciao for now!
    Mike