Quantcast

Google updates Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by dandroid, Dec 15, 2010.

1. dandroid

dandroid Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Google has just released their newest update to GoogleTV, and along with a few bug fixes, it comes with some amazing new features. Here are the new features directly quoted from GoogleTV's Blog:

Netflix
    We’ve partnered up with our friends at Netflix to upgrade the app so that you can search, browse and watch any movie or show that is in the Netflix streaming catalog. You can even add these titles to your DVD queue if you want them mailed to you. Not sure what to
    watch? The new Netflix app will also give you personalized recommendations based on what you’ve watched before. Your TV is now an unlimited source of entertainment.

Dual View
    GoogleTV brings the TV and web together in one seamless experience so you can easily watch your favorite TV show and browse your favorite website at the same time. With the feature, you can do things like watch Conan while tweeting about him on Twitter at the same time. Since launch, we’ve had users give us feedback that they want even more customization options for this feature, and so today we have enhanced it to allow you to re-size and move the window however you’d like.

Remote control app for Android phones
    What if you could control your TV with the power of your voice? Starting today you can download the Google TV Remote app in Android Market. Apart from the standard TV remote options like changing channels or accessing your DVR, you can now interact with your TV in ways you never have before. For instance, try using the integrated voice search which allows you to find your favorite shows and movies just by speaking into your phone. Or, go from small screen to big screen by sharing videos and websites directly from your phone to your TV. We’ve included a short preview of these features below. Stay tuned for more information about the Google TV Remote for other platforms in the near future.

Movies
    Say you’re searching for a movie like ‘Harry Potter’. Google TV now has a movie results page that shows you all films associated with the title so you can quickly watch what you want, wherever it’s available -- ranging from sources like live TV, Netflix, and Amazon Video on Demand. You can also read a quick summary, see photos, and find the cast list. Click on the name of a cast member and we’ll take you to a new search landing page where you can find other movies featuring that actor. Trust us, you’ll never leave the couch again.

Between services like GoogleTV, Netflix, Hulu and others, the entire landscape and nature of the way we watch television is rapidly changing. This "Information Age" that we find ourselves in just moves too fast for the old-style television to keep up. It seems that Google has a great handle on the way things are evolving. Obviously, in many markets they seem to be "steering the ship" when it comes to innovation. From Android based smartphones... to television... to cloud-based computing, we seem to be in pretty good hands.

For all Google TV discussions, be sure to visit GoogleTVForum.org

by dgstorm

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 6
  2. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

It's always great to play with new software!!
    I will have to see if my Revue got the update, so I can have some fun. [​IMG]

3. firemandan9

firemandan9 New Member

Any way to force the update?

4. sparkyscott21

You can always try the ctrl+ alt+del at the same time.. I am not sure that would work,BUT, it will wipe out to your defaults settings to factory...
    So, I would wait, but then again, I got the update today!! I have read that all the boxes will be updated by Friday night. UP TO YOU....
    My guess is it won't update until the box is authorized...

5. GTV Daniel

GTV Daniel New Member

Hi all,

Quick clarification: Ctrl+Alt+Backspace will not perform a factory data reset, but rather a soft reboot a la Ctrl+Alt+Delete on a PC. For a factory reset: Settings > About > Factory data reset.

Even this, however, will not force the update. :) Thanks for your patience as this rolls out over the next couple of days.

Cheers,
    Daniel

6. sparkyscott21

Thank you for that clarification GTV Dan.. I wasn't for sure on that one, but I thought it would be a possibility..
    Sorry Firemandan9, I wasn't sure...

7. firemandan9

firemandan9 New Member

I will just have to wait a little longer then. I just moved back home from school for a few weeks and brought my promotional TV along to use at home and share with the family. This is the first time I have used my Sony TV with a DVR and AVR and so far working as expected.

Glad to see the Android app out.

8. nagmier

nagmier New Member

:( still haven't gotten the update :| oh well I really use the heck outta the netflix app so I need this update!!!

9. pcandroid

pcandroid New Member

Liking the update. Finally netflix works like it should. Dual view is cool cuz it lets you pick which corner of the screen its in. Those of us with the Revue have had an app and I prefer it to the google app that came out. K ready for the next update.

10. skoretsky

skoretsky New Member

Haven't recieved mine either, really wish there was some way to manually force an update (Google r u listening?)!

11. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    how did you get the update, was your tv or box turned on ? did something pop up on the screen ? I just can't wait to get the update :]

12. Jerz

Jerz New Member

I was just prompted for the update this morning..... Being able to move the dual view window is awesome.

• Like Like x 2
  13. REARless

REARless New Member

Friday 8AM eastern, still no update.....

• Like Like x 2
  14. Shaun-ohio

Shaun-ohio New Member

didnt get my update yet either

15. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

Mine updated overnight ! It's much better.

16. csriley99

csriley99 New Member

Still waiting on the update too! hopefully tonight...

17. skoretsky

skoretsky New Member

Many of us are inpatiently waiting for the update.

18. sparkyscott21

Mine came wed. early in the A.M.
    When I turned the T.V. on, the screen saver was on, that's how I knew I had an update..
    I was watching live tv when I shut it off, so, the s.s. was a dead give away.. [​IMG]

19. REARless

REARless New Member

Got it this AM!

20. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    so did I, got up and turned my 40" Sony Google tv on at 8:45AM and there it was :] So far so good ! I live in Indiana :]