Quantcast

Google Unveils Tablet Computer And Streaming TV Device

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 27, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google unveils tablet computer and streaming TV device - KansasCity.com (click for full article)

"Google on Wednesday unveiled a small tablet computer bearing its brand in a challenge to Amazon's Kindle Fire.

The Nexus Seven is designed specifically for Google Play, the online store that sells movies, music, books, apps and other content - the things Amazon.com Inc. also sells for its tablet computer.

Both tablets have screens that measure 7 inches diagonally, smaller than the nearly 10 inches on Apple Inc.'s popular iPad. The Nexus Seven will also be light - at about 0.75 pound, compared with the Kindle Fire's 0.9 pound. The iPad weighs 1.44 pounds.

The Nexus Seven will ship in mid-July starting at $199 - the same price as the Kindle Fire. By contrast, iPads start at $499. Customers can start ordering it through Google on Wednesday, initially in the U.S., Canada and Australia.

The Nexus Seven will run the next version of Google Inc.'s Android operating system, called Jelly Bean.

Google also announced a home entertainment device called Nexus Q. It sends content from your personal collection or YouTube to your existing TV and speaker systems. You control it through a separate Android phone or tablet.

The Nexus Q, which Google is calling the world's first "social streaming device," will available in July in the U.S. initially and sell for $299.

Google made the announcements during a keynote to open its annual conference in San Francisco for computer programmers.

At the event, Google provided an update on its Google Plus social network, which the company considers crucial to challenging Facebook Inc. for users and advertising. Google said the year-old social network now has 250 million, far smaller than Facebook's more than 900 million but larger than what Facebook had at the one-year mark."

2. CatfishRivers

With Nexus Q, Google Wants to Make Entertainment More Social - NYTimes.com (click for full article)

"Google on Wednesday unveiled its new Nexus Q media player, a gamble that people are interested in making their home entertainment more social.

The Q, which is manufactured in the United States, costs $299, more than competitors like Apple TV and Boxee. The Q is intended to make it easy to share content.

The idea is that any user with an Android phone or tablet will be able to send content to the Nexus Q, not just the owner. For example, if I don't like the music that you are playing, I can simply place my tunes in front of yours, or even delete songs that you have added to the queue."

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Great, the Nexus Q is going to further confuse an already confused market. How does this fit in with Google TV? I assume Google TV being much less expensive will appeal to a different market but I can't see how this will help Google TV get airborne. Google TV has been idling on the runway for a couple of years now, it is time to start flying. We need marketshare if we want things like Vudu and Hulu Plus. I can't help but imagine if there were millions of Google TV devices in service, we would have those two, maybe more of the great services still missing.

4. CatfishRivers

I agree. I haven't had time to thoroughly read all the information about Nexus Q - but I think this functionality would of been better served if built into the GTV operating system (or perhaps available as an app to run on GTV hardware).

5. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

Q's functionality should have been included in googleTV. They are wasting GTV. Was GTV even mentioned today?!? What is google thinking here?

6. Scoutx

Scoutx New Member

Other than an amp output, I fail to see anything in the Q that can't be accomplished with an App on GTV. Cool hardware, that could probably run GTV, but I'm just not getting it.

7. CatfishRivers

Google TV Ignored In Favor of Google Nexus Q (click for full article)

"At the Google I/O 2012 Keynote, we heard nothing about Google TV despite some pre-keynote rumors. Instead they showed off an Apple TV-style device called Google Nexus Q.

I hoped to hear something that would pump new life into Google TV, since I'm an owner of a Logitech Revue. I even planned to pull it out of the box and hook it up to my TV again after the keynote. Instead it will stay in the box. Google TV users got nothing and I doubt we will any time soon.

Instead, we learned about the Google Nexus Q, a "social streaming" device shaped like an orb that connects to your TV and the Internet giving users access to the Google Play Store video and audio content. Sound familiar? Aside from the silly shape, it works much like an Apple TV, which also lets people connect their TV to Apple's media store.

Introducing Nexus Q:

The device runs on the same architecture as any other Android device, powered by the same chip as the Nexus phone. People can plug their speakers directly into the Google Nexus Q since it pumps sound, thanks to a 25-watt amplifier. It outputs via optical audio and HDMI. It also includes NFC, Bluetooth and Ethernet for connectivity."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  8. CatfishRivers

Google to take on Apple TV with $299 'Nexus Q' (click for full article)

Published: 02:34 PM EST (11:34 AM PST)

Google on Wednesday unveiled a new $299 hardware device called the "Nexus Q" that allows users to stream music, movies and music from the Google Play storefront.

Like the $99 Apple TV, Google's Nexus Q will allow users to connect their mobile devices to an HDTV or entertainment center. Content available on an Android phone or tablet, including YouTube, can be streamed to the Nexus Q.

The sphere-shaped Nexus Q can be connected to an HDTV, a sound system, or even just a set of speakers. Google has dubbed the device as the "first social streaming media player," as it allows users to create collaborative music queues with friends adding their own songs to a playlist.

The Nexus Q runs on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and is powered by a dual-core OMAP 4460 processor. It features 16 gigabytes of built-in storage and will be available in mid-July for $299.

9. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

The Q is going to bomb worse than GTV. Its not worth $300.

10. frozengal

frozengal New Member

yup Q's functionality must have been included