Quantcast

Google TV: your top 3 priorities

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by GTV Daniel, Jan 14, 2011.

1. GTV Daniel

GTV Daniel New Member

Hi everyone,

As you know, smart TV and the Google TV platform are dynamic and constantly developing. As we look forward to future updates, we want to hear what you, the users, would most like to see in the product moving forward.

Please share your top 1-3 (please keep it to 3) priorities for the future of the Google TV platform. These can be new features, small fixes, gripes, pie-in-the-sky dreams. If there's a known issue that's a top priority for you, then feel free to highlight it here, even if it's been discussed in other threads.

The clearer and more specific the feedback, the more effective it will be as I report back to the team.

One note: we know that many users are very eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Android Marketplace. We are working very hard to bring this to you as soon as possible, so no need to reiterate this here.

This great forum has become one of the main web venues for discussion around Google TV-- congratulations! We're inspired by your enthusiasm and creativity, and we'd love to hear what we can do to make this an even better experience for you.

Happy surfing,
    Daniel

2. skoretsky

skoretsky New Member

#1. FULL 5.1/7.1 Dolby Support (DD, Dolby Prologic, support for 5.1 content in Netflix, etc.). This should include some type of audio passthru capability when only watching TV so the audio operates as if the Revue wasn't inline.

#2.Comprehensive plug-in support for GTV Chrome browser.

#3. Full function media player (like WMP, Itunes, other top media players on the market). The current Logitech media player is awful. I realize this requirement might be addressed by the Android Marketplace, but that said - the foundation media player in GTV should have comprehensive capabilities, expansive codec support, etc.

Final thoughts (since you asked for 3 and I've run out!) - Google needs to go to bat for us against networks blocking access (IMO this is illegal), integrate HULU+ support as a integrated app (like Netflix), make the current Amazon VOD a true app (vs. chrome based).

I'm glad y'all are working hard on bringing the Android Marketplace to GTV!!

3. harley man

harley man New Member

(1) 5.1 for netflix
    (2) copy and paste . makes life on the web so much better . and also see pdf when in chrome
    (3)change tv chanel when in pip
    just found out how to copy and paste with the revue just highlight then ctrl+ c to copy to paste ctrl+ v to paste
    thanks to qw545 for the tip

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  4. rpcollins

rpcollins New Member

1. Android Market/Apps (which is supposedly coming soon)
    2. Better Media Player. More stable, better interface.
    3. Better UI. the current UI is hard to navigate and clunky.

5. antgod

antgod New Member

better UI

copy and paste

hulu

6. qw545

qw545 Member

I'm already using copy and paste. It's awkward to use with the Sony remote, but with a mouse there is no problem highlighting text. Ctrl C, X, and V all function appropriately. Is there a desire to make it simpler with the included equipment or is the Revue different than Sony's Google TV?

7. skoretsky

skoretsky New Member

8. pls1223

pls1223 New Member

1. access to Disney, hulu -- others
    2. resolve choppy video
    3. more functional media player

9. TheSanTechnologist

TheSanTechnologist New Member

1. 5.1/7.1 Dolby Digital Plus support
    2. Dual Screen for Any Application (not limited to just STB App)
    3. Full Chrome Browser w/ plug-in support

• Like Like x 2
  10. srk0629

srk0629 New Member

1. Media Player update to support other video formats

2. Add ATSC tuner to GTV Bluray player (allows blocked network TV & encourages "cord cutting")

3. Add IR control of other devices in a typical home theater setup (Please add IR code for Digiwave DTV-5000HD ATSC tuner)

11. harley man

harley man New Member

thanks for the info on copy and paste i got the c to copy and the v to paste what is the x for

12. Malachi42

Malachi42 New Member

Just like your PC, it's for cut. And there's more! Ctrl-A will select all, ctrl-Z will undo, and ctrl-Y will redo. Ctrl-<left arrow> and Ctrl-<right arrow> moves the cursor whole words. Ctrl-<up arrow> and Ctrl-<down arrow> zoom in and out.

If you are using the Sony controller, to select with the mouse click and hold both the scroll and the zoom buttons and then move the mouse.

13. Apollothedog

Apollothedog New Member

Make Google TV accessable to all the content that a typical PC can access. NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, Hulu. Why does Google TV have to announce itself to these sites?
    Stabilize platform, Chrome has a habit of locking up.
    Sony trackball should be more responsive. (not sure if that is a Google problem, but a better driver should help).

Content is king.

14. mcosta69

mcosta69 New Member

Daniel,

Thank you for taking the time to make this post, I know its not your fault but your my only ear to bend!

I am big fan of GoogleTV, My family picked up two Sony GoogleTVs the day they were released at BestBuy, and persuaded several friends to do the same. One of the features I found very attractive about the TV is the ability to control it with my IPhone.

I can control my 4 Receivers, 3 older TVs, PS3, Lights, and Sprinklers with my IPhone or IPad, But not my new GoogleTV. I am very disappointed in the way this has been managed. Google and Sony have lost a great deal of my respect for not following through in a timely manor. “I use a Control4 System for the above.”

When I purchased my GoogleTV I was unaware the application had yet to be developed. When the Droid application was released first I was not surprised, but no word on a release date for the IPhone application leaves a very large share of YOUR market feeling ignored. I could care less about the phone and tablet wars, I am a Google Customer, a GoogleTV, customer, and a Sony Customer.

1 IPhone App
    2 Print WebPages
    3 IPad App

15. jcparkerville

jcparkerville New Member

1: update flash and java so they can handle web based apps such as facebook games
    2: resolve sound issue with netflix app
    3: the ability to control my NSX-32GT1 with a wireless mouse or update remote drivers.

16. mcosta69

mcosta69 New Member

I have a Kensington PilotBoard Laser Wireless Desktop Set 64390 that have worked very well with NSX-40GT1 and NSX-46GT1.

17. rtalain

rtalain New Member

Some great feedback, so I just would like to add couple of minor issues. It would be nice to be able to arrange the Bookmarks; currently, there is only a "move to the top" option. Also, I sometimes enter something into the search window with the intent of doing an internet search. Out of habit, I just hit enter, but it takes me to a web/video search, which is fine, but I wish there was a way to just hit a button and it would take me back to my previous search instead of having to re-enter it again into the search window.

Ron

18. alexcfg

alexcfg New Member

Top Three priorities Sony BlueRay
    #1 App for Blackberry or Palm
    #2 Hulu App
    #3 Copy And Paste Option
    Thanks
    Alex

19. JPKenneth

JPKenneth New Member

Chrome updates

1: Print to wireless printer

2: PDF support

3: Media player DIVX support

On a side note I would like the CNBC app to show real time broadcasting not just old video's.

20. StevenB

StevenB New Member

1. GAME MODE.

2. Better media support

3. PIP with tv input and another input like hdmi

Game mode is absolutely important to me. Out of 10, 1 being essential and 10th being low priority, it'd be a 1 while the other two are 4 or higher. There doesn't necessarily need to be a game mode per say, just some way to make the game lag at least 100 ms less on ps3's and xbox 360. If that means toning down the super image/signal processing that the tv does, on one or two of the hdmi inputs, that'd be fine by me! I'm not saying that's the best option to fix the lag, just a potential non game mode solution.

Better media support, need I say more? Well besides being able to handle more file types, it'd be nice if the tv could handle a 2tb ntfs formatted external!

PIP. After this past weekend's football games, I found myself wanting to play my xbox, but also watch the game(s)! It'd be nice to do as such, with audio controls like turning up or down the PIP's volume, while separately controlling the main's volume.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011