Quantcast

google tv without a tv cable connection?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by superfly611, Jan 25, 2013.

1. superfly611

superfly611 New Member

i would like to get a google tv set top box but was wondering if i need a comcast tv connection (cable box) to use it. i have comcast for triple play phone internet tv but don't have a spare cable box for the room i want to put the google set top box in. i was going to use netflix, amazon prime, and other online content as well videos i have on my own on a NAS or usb drive. is it going to be useless or can i get some use out of it? i was looking at the sony nsz-gs7. any other recommendations?

thanks in advance.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

No TV source is required with Google TV and in my opinion, the Sony NSZ-GS7 is the best Google TV box. It does not come with a microphone built in to the remote if that is important to you. New voice control features are expected soon and a different remote or smart phone or tablet with mic will be required.

3. superfly611

superfly611 New Member

hmmm. may be i will wait for the mic in the remote. that could be useful.

4. brikon

brikon New Member

Tivo's are really cheap these days you can tune into OTA tv with one of those ( you don't need it, but it does add a lot to the GTV experience IMHO).. If you're not planning on going the OTA route why not do something like the ROKU or Apple tv?

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

A TiVo with lifetime subscription is a terrific product for OTA, I am a long time user and can't imagine using anything else. For a lot of people, Roku is a great choice, very easy to set up and very ease to use and the content selection is really good in my opinion. I didn't think I could ever recommend Roku but I have come around, it just works so well and after seeing so many complaints about Google TV which does so much more but requires effort to set up and operate, it is clear not everybody is willing to take the time to master using Google TV. Both products are priced right, Google TV is worth the extra cost for me but I accept that isn't true for everybody.

6. superfly611

superfly611 New Member

I have an Apple TV first generation. I got the first generation so that I don't have to leave my computer on all the time. the only thing is I feel like I'm limited with content to have to either buy the movies or use the ones in my collection. I was hoping to get a little more Media Entertainment being able to use my Netflix and YouTube and probably Amazon Prime. I can't get Netflix to work on my Apple TV. I will probably wait until the remote update like someone said if I were to get the Google TV. I'm disabled and it can be a pain to have to type certain things in set top box.

in reference to the tivo don't you need to have a cable TV plan? I was wanting to get away with just internet and phone and maybe basic cable. it would be awesome if I could just do Hulu Netflix and Amazon Prime.

7. superfly611

superfly611 New Member

I do have a CableCARD that you get for free with comcast . I have it in my computer right now and it's acting like a dvr right now. I do like getting them as torrents or having the DVD box set so I can watch it again. I find i watch a lot of things on my computer instead of my I would like to get something for my living room home theater system. it would be used to watch movies I have and a search stuff on YouTube Netflix or Amazon Prime. I really would only use it when I have company over. I sort of want to spoil myself and get the Google TV. I'm a technology junkie.