Quantcast

Google TV: We're Not Dead (Yet)

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 24, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google TV: We're not dead (yet) | Internet & Media - CNET News (click for full article)

by Seth Rosenblatt - July 24, 2013

Summary: Google says Chromecast will exist alongside Google TV and not replace it. But that doesn't mean Google TV faces a static-free future.

-- SAN FRANCISCO -- Google may have figured out a surefire way to get the Internet on your TV with its low-cost Chromecast dongle. But don't count Google TV out of the game just yet.

"Google TV is moving forward in a major way," Sundar Pichai told CNET after the company's press confab Wednesday morning announcing the Chromecast and the second version of the Nexus 7."

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

3. CatfishRivers

Editorial opinion from Mashable concerning Chromecast/Google TV:

http://mashable.com/2013/07/24/chromecast-google-tv/
    (click for full article)

Chromecast Is What Google TV Should Have Been

From the article:

"The cheapest Google TV device I can find is Vizio's $99 Co-Star Stream Player. Like most Google TV devices, it comes with a separate and overly complex remote control. The remote control for Chromecast will be your favorite mobile device (yes, it even beats your iPhone). It's very un-remote like: No special interface or buttons. Since Chromecast revolves around apps, the app remains the interface. If you know Netflix, you know how to work Chromecast.

That's right, Netflix - the streaming service and recent Emmy nominee (for House of Cards) with 28 million registered subscribers - is already on board. You can start a Netflix movie on your mobile device, hit Cast and then watch in all its 1080p glory on your HDTV. This is a big deal for Google and Chromecast. It instantly takes Chromecast beyond proof of concept. Pandora is on there, too, and I suspect that other key players like Hulu, Flixster, Crackle and CinemaNow will soon follow."

4. CatfishRivers

I thought the following statement from the AllThingsD interview with Sundar Pichai was interesting:

*** These features aren't limited to the Chromecast device, Pichai said. Google TV will also support Google Cast, Pichai said today. ***

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I was hoping there would be a Chromecast app to run on Google TV, is this what he is saying. Just install the app and Google TV can double as a Chromecast device?

6. chopper

chopper Active Member

It makes sense that the next version of GTV will support Chromecast, for now it's wait and see.

7. drhill

drhill Member

Well if the last 'big' update is anything to go buy, now that 4.2.2 is officially outdated, we will get the update in Q3.... next year ish.

8. CatfishRivers

Google TV getting Chromecast support in a future update (click for full article)

by Melissa Grey - July 25, 2013

"In the wake of the Chromecast announcement yesterday, some Google TV owners began to worry that Mountain View was taking a different approach to its smart TV business. But those fears were evidently unfounded, as the company's own Warren Rehman confirmed on his Google+ page that not only is Google TV alive and well, but it'll soon support Google's new HDMI streaming dongle. While we don't have an exact date on when Google TV will get the upgrade that introduces Chromecast functionality, we'll keep you posted as we learn more."

• Like Like x 2
  9. ChrisG8

What does that mean? I assumed a Chromecast update for Google TV would mean, we wouldn't need the Chromecast HDMI dongle, not that Google TV would support it. There might be some functionality differences, meaning having both Google TV Chromecast and the Chromecast dongle could be of some benefit, when used separately.

10. CatfishRivers

Good news ChrisG8 - see the following Google+ page from Warren Rehman (a GTV employee):

https://plus.google.com/103780053534929069969/posts/Yb8kc6uefEm

From the Google+ page:

Question:

Unsuk Jung Yesterday 3:36 PM+5

So does it mean that people with Google TV (the screen or a box) would not need to buy the "ChromeCast" separately?

Answer:

Warren Rehman Yesterday 9:08 PM+9

+Unsuk Jung correct, not needed as long as you have an ARM based device and it is updated to JB

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 6
  11. ChrisG8

Yes, that is what I wanted to hear, somebody in the know starting to explain how Chromecast on Google TV would work. No dongle necessary is how it appears which is the only thing that made any sense, supporting the HDMI dongle is not a good way to describe what is going to happen.

12. sleepraider

sleepraider New Member

SO EXCITED. I know many of you guys have older models, but this is the last chip to fall to make my Hisense Pulse the PERFECT tool for me. Unending Sports, here I come...

13. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Member

When will the update happen? Will gtv even get the update? I thought that this month we were suppose to get the jellybean update, aim I wrong?

14. ChrisG8

The only estimate of the Jellybean update I have seen is third quarter.

15. ChrisG8

I am running both first and second generation Google TV models, the update to Jellybean will be the first big update that will really distinguish the second gen from the first.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  16. CatfishRivers

Here is another editorial article from Android-Authority about the future of Google TV/Chromecast:

Chromecast and Google TV: Is there room for both? - Android Authority (click for full article)

by Nate Swanner - July 25, 2013

"As much as we all love the concept and promise of Chromecast, some questions should be asked. Is this meant to kill off Google TV? There sure hasn’t been much news from the TV division at Google, so maybe they’re scaling their efforts down. After all, a $35 investment is much more approachable than a $100-200 one, and we’ve been anticipating the demise of Google TV almost since inception.

If we take a closer look at the similarities and differences between the two, it’s clear that Chromecast doesn’t yet accomplish what Google TV is capable of. That being said, the fact is that neither is doing what we want of them right now. The difference here is that Chromecast is hours old, while Google TV has been in the game far too long not to have it together by now.

Hardware

For me, this is the line in the sand. I can spend $35 on a simply dongle, or upwards of $200 on a Google TV system. One takes up an HDMI port on my TV, while the other needs space on a mantle or shelf. Chromecast is simply a receiver, while Google TV is meant to be an entire experience."

17. CatfishRivers

I think the following was a good point from the Android Authority article:

*** Oddly enough, Pichai noted that Chromecast simply has too much latency for gaming, but the "immersive experience" Google TV provides would be great for that. If I were a betting man, I'd have to say he just hinted at the newest direction Google TV is going. ***

18. Travel

Travel Active Member

They were talking about Chromecast on a radio show today. It wasn't a "tech interview" kind of thing, it was just the host of the show talking about Chromecast as an interesting news item. Just based on that radio discussion, alone, it would seem that the "simple dongle for multi-TVs in the home" aspect of Chromecast might be the big sales "hook."

Also mentioned: Best Buy might buy-out Radio Shack and get rid of Radio Shack's second-rate product-inventory and replace it with Best Buy's higher quality stuff.

19. sleepraider

sleepraider New Member

GTV employee said in the thread yesterday (that's quoted in this thread) that he "would be disappointed if we didnt get the update by the end of this quarter". So, i interpreted that as meaning by the end of September. I might be off, as I dont think about things in quarters... but that's how I took it.

20. drhill

drhill Member

Quarter century?

sleepraider, 1st gen owners are leery of promised updates. The first "big" update took an extra year past the alluded to delivery to get to us.