Quantcast

Google TV vs Apple TV Thread

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by dandroid, Oct 5, 2010.

1. dandroid

dandroid Administrator Staff Member

Let's hear your thoughts between the Google TV devices and Apple TV.

2. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Administrator Staff Member

I think the biggest difference in my opinion is that Apple TV doesn't support Apps just yet (at least, unhacked) -- so your limited to what Apple says you should be doing. With Google TV, any number of Apps should be available... and they are more open. So To me the possibilities are endless.

3. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Personally there is no comparison. Apple TV doesn't allow DVR capabilities at all whereas GoogleTV does with Dish Network hence me making the switch to Dish Network HD services as opposed to FiOS. GoogleTV has Android app support as well as much more streamlined interface from the look of it. Netflix on-demand streaming! This along with my cheapo passively cooled linux media box running Boxee and PS3 Media server and my PS3 as a media server/game system/on demand through the Playstation store. OMG heaven! HEAVEN I TELL YOU!!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like you've got a great setup. I was on the news letter list for the D-Link Boxee but now I think I'll wait before making a purchase of one.

5. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

I think the biggest difference is that the Google TV is going to work in conjunction with your current providers content. The apple TV will require another HDMI input and you will have to change your TV or Receivers input just to use it. The Apple TV will be more like a separate Blu Ray player that you only turn on when you want to stream some video. The Google TV will integrate into your current setup and allow you to Browse the net, watch TV, purchase streamed content, and use Android applications all in one place. Apple TV is a nice device, but it is more geared toward streaming purchased content from iTunes. Google TV also has this built in using the Amazon video streaming service which is cheaper than the iTunes Store. Both streaming services are limited to their content providers. As far as apps go, everyone is saying that Google TV is ahead of the pack. Personally I think Google TV is going to release with more apps than Apple TV, but you cant install new apps on either device until 2011. Google TV will still take this category due to being an open platform.

6. HamDog

HamDog Member

I don't think Apple TV and Google TV are even comparable. You can only download movies and shows from iTunes with Apple TV. And you can't browse the Internet other than a few sites like YouTube, Flicker, etc. But as I understand it, the iPhone and iPad have apps that will work with Apple TV.

With Google TV, you also get full Internet browsing with Flash. Along with being able to buy movies and go to any of the websites offered on Apple TV.

With Apple TV, you have to pay for your local broadcast shows that you downlaod from iTunes while with Google TV, you can just go to the websites of the shows and watch them for free.

7. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

The iPhone and iPad apps used with the Apple TV are only remote control apps. Google TV will also have remote control apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices. The real difference is going to be when Apple releases their Airplay wireless media streaming for the Apple TV. Airplay is only going to be one way from the mobile device or computer to the Apple TV. Hopefully we will get the same type App or connection to the Google TV from PC/Mac,Android, and iOS devices. I also hope Apple doesn't see Google TV killing their Apple TV business and pulling all of the apps associated with it.

P.S. I use a Macbook Pro, Windows 7, Android, iPod Touch, and iPad so I want support for everything.

8. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

Amazon Video Streaming was not in the Logitech Press Conference!

9. PhatboyC

PhatboyC Member

No but it was confirmed by Google.

10. PhatboyC

PhatboyC Member

For me its a no brainer.

Apple tv charges 99cents per episodes. I don't know about you guys but this is very expensive. Say I watch 3 episodes a night during the week and none on the weekends. That's 60$ per month! I can have basic cable with DVR for cheaper.

Google TV will permit you to go to the Networks own website and watch the episodes for free. Or have a flat monthly fee of 10-12$ with services like Netflix and Hulu Plus.

With all the multimedia boxes available no other are being promoted as strong as Google TV. Google has comercials pushing this box. It was featured on ABC's Nighline and ABC World News. Sony is getting ready to push commercials next week with their new Google TV equipped TV's. This is just the beginning.

11. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

Lets hope we get access to Hulu/Hulu Plus! I don't see how there could be any problem with Hulu Plus.

Google TV is being promoted, but I don't see evidence of it showing up in many places. I went to Best Buy last night and asked one of the TV guys if he knew when the revue would be on display. He basically looked at me like a dear in headlights, and told me that "Google TV has a TV coming out sometime but I don't know when." I then went on to tell him that the Logitech review was just announced and Best Buy is one of Google TV's partners. He then asked me;"Just what is Google TV?"

I also expected this forum to grow more than it has.

12. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

LOL Best Buy employee... LOL... These would be the same guys I asked what Blu Ray profile certain players supported and they all said "standard". Yeah they are in "the know" for sure. LOL!

13. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

I have had the same experience with just about every sales/technician that I talk to about any kind of Tech. I tend to do my homework about anything I am about to purchase, so when I ask a sales person/technician a question, i am the one that ends up telling them how it works. I had to teach the Dish Technician how to install the Dish VIP922. When he looked in my media closet his eyes got huge.

14. Bluen25

Bluen25 Member

Wow, Looking around the web, it is amazing the hate that Google TV is getting. Most peoples arguments are un-based and ignorant. The rest are Apple fan boys. I like Apple as much as some of these fan boys, but some of them need to be punched in the nose with some of their comments.

15. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

This is the SAME hate that happened with Android and the G1, the same hate that continues because Android became the overwhelming powerhouse it has become and it is the same hate and biased crap that will continue on everything Google/Android from the Apple camp and those sites that cater and worship Uncle Steve as the next messiah. Everyone always calls out the Google/Android die-hards as single minded Apple haters but they forget that we did not fire the first shot. Apple/Steve Jobs and his legions of lemmings did, we are just responding in like. Best part of it all is with all the hate GoogleTV will become wildly popular and bury the competition just as Android based handsets have and soon Android tablets will. This is what happens when a company, Google, releases such a flexible and functional platform as opposed to marketing a static product.