Quantcast

Google TV vs a TV box running Android

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by atkinsonline, Jul 14, 2013.

1. atkinsonline

atkinsonline New Member

I was impressed enough by the spec for this box to order one

[link removed]

As somebody new to this forum it appears I can't post a link to the box on Amazon but searching for Justop Android 4.2 Smart TV Box 'Droibox Ace'
    should find it.

I have just read that this is not a Google TV box but a TV box running Android 4.2.

Can anyone please tell me what are the implications of this? Will it not be compatible with most Google TV apps or worse?

Thanks

John.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It won't be compatible with some of the Google TV apps, specifically apps written only for Google TV. Some people think the Android mini PCs are great, others find terrible problems with firmware and app incompatibility, I don't own one personally. I think the Android TV boxes are probably best suited for someone interested in hacking or rooting the device as firmware support by a company nobody has heard of is not likely. I plan to stick with Google TV after using the devices for over two years and having seen many improvements and it suits my needs better.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

You might be able to sideload some of the GTV apps if someone sends you the APKs. However you won't be able to use those GTV apps that require special DRM such as the Amazon Instant GTV app.

4. atkinsonline

atkinsonline New Member

Thank you to both of you for the replies. It might be suitable for my needs then.
    I mainly want it for XBMC and another platform to test my own software on. I've recently started writing software and using a Nexus 7 as a test device so it would be nice to be able to test on a different device.
    I have many ways of watching TV and other content and rarely play games so the lack of DRM is not an issue.
    The box is cheap enough to play around with. If I was using it as my only TV interface box, I think it may have been a wrong choice.
    It should arrive today.
    John.

5. atkinsonline

atkinsonline New Member

Delivery of the Justop Android 4.2 Smart TV Box 'Droibox Ace' box failed on Monday and was delivered to my neighbour yesterday who was out until 10:30 pm so despite all odds I now have the new box and I have to say I'm quite impressed.

It seems fast and video looks great on it. I installed the stable version of XMBC as an apk file and that works fine accessing content on my NAS. More to the point, I copied over an APK of my own application to test and it is running fine which is great news. The app is not aimed at Google TV as it is for mobile devices with GPS but it's great to have a different screen and device to work with. It makes use of Google Cloud Messaging for push comms so it's really nice to have a second physical device I can register with GCM and test my server side code better.

So although this is not a real Google TV box it's compatible enough to suit my needs and is great at the price. I also bought one of the Justop wireless keyboards which is really tiny but still useful for text entry and the mouse pad on it works well. Much better for many operations than the remote.

John.

6. alvysyngr

alvysyngr New Member

Goodluck with the device - it sounds interesting. Personally I jumped on a OUYA to install XBMC and can't wait for it to arrive. I use my Sony GS7 Google TV all the time but feel the OUYA will add more to my tv watching. Funny that I also have a Roku 3 but just can't seem to use it all the time - not sure why, I just think it lacks so much

7. sonicthoughts

sonicthoughts New Member

I have experience with Google TV (Revue) and Android phone/tablet. I'd love the "openness" of android, but GTV seems very protected. Is there a list of major GTV specific apps that can't run? Seems like most have android counterpart anyway (ie. Amazon, netflix, etc.) Does anyone know of an android mini PC/stick that has HDMI in so it can "overlay" video like google TV does? That is pretty important so no need to keep switching input. Also can support messaging to the screen which is always avail. Think that is a big advantage over Apple TV, Roku, etc. An upgradable android PC, cheap that has HDMI input/overlay and latest OS (also IR blaster ...) seems like a killer win!