Quantcast

Google TV veterans, how do accounts work for a family?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Hefe, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Hefe

Hefe New Member

I'm thinking about taking the plunge and getting a Revue. One thing I'd like to know about is how Google TV operates is around the account setup.

I did read that you set up the device using your Google account. That seems reasonable enough. But this is going to be a device shared by my entire family, not just me. If I use my own personal account, what does that mean for the operation of the device. What is accessible by other people? If they go to GMail, do they see my data? Does the browser sync my bookmarks or history? Does the YouTube app show my favorites and playlists? Is the Market tied to my account?

Basically, are there privacy implications to having Google TV tied to your account and used by other people?

How do you have it set up? Did you create a new "family account" to set up the device?

Thanks for any info!

2. daddypants

daddypants New Member

i set up a family gmail just for my tvs, (something like fakeemail@gmail.com), this way all the devices are synced to a central account and you can keep you personal email info off the family tv. i use that family gmail account to set up user accounts on sites like vevo, youtube, and others so we could share our playlists and preferred content on all the tvs on the network.

3. Hefe

Hefe New Member

If you did use your own account, how able are others to get into your information?

Like if we had guests or a babysitter over using our TV, could they simply select and view GMail, Picasa photos, Google Docs, YouTube accounts, etc. without any other level of authentication required? I'm having some trouble feeling comfortable with a portal to my info sitting wide open.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, unless the site's cookie times out or has some sort of re-verification routine then anyone can masquerade as the account logged into Google TV. That's why smart people create a dummy accounts for their Google TV instead of using a personal accounts.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Many sites (including Gmail and YouTube) give users the option to 'log off". After you log off nobody else should be able to access your information from that site (provided that you kept your password private).

Why couldn't you just maintain your privacy that way? Although I don't believe that there is currently a way to keep your bookmarks private. However if you were worried about your bookmarks you could always use a free bookmark service (that has a log-off capability). I use one now myself and I'm very pleased with it....

6. Hefe

Hefe New Member

Well, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I've only used the unit in the store, so I don't know all the ins and outs. Just trying to get an understanding of what access is granted to someone using the device.

For anything that is based in the browser, it makes sense that you are just logging in and out as you would on any PC. I'm thinking more of apps and the integrated features.

For example, with my Android phone, if I hand it to someone else, they can't open the browser and access my web based stuff, but they could open the GMail app, the Docs app, the Gallery which connects to Picasa, Google Reader, etc.

I know the only sure way to separate that out is to create a new account to log in on, but I was just wondering if the Google TV design addressed these issues in any way that would allow me not to have to do that.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

No, and actually at 2011 Google I/O developers conference they discussed the "challenges" about using Google TV as a multi-user device in this manner. However, the Google representative said that they were aware of the lack controls but also sort of side stepped the answer by trying to push it off as a "challenge" for a developers.

8. Hefe

Hefe New Member

Interesting. Well, I probably will use a new ID then. Oh well.