Quantcast

Google TV v3 Teaser: Voice Search, Second-Screen Tablet App, More

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 12, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google TV v3 teaser: Voice search, second-screen tablet app, more - SlashGear (click for full article)

Google TV v3 teaser: Voice search, second-screen tablet app, more

Chris Davies, Oct 12th 2012

"Google has begun teasing Google TV v3, the incoming update to its smart TV platform, complete with a tablet remote control app for second-screen navigation. The new video preview - which you can see after the cut - shows version 3's voice control in action, with the Google TV remote serving as a microphone, and viewers able to ask for specific channels, apps, content searches, and genres."

2. CatfishRivers

Google TV v3 demo video teases better search, mini-guide overlay and tablet control (Update: pulled) -- Engadget (click for full article)

By Richard Lawler posted Oct 12th 2012 9:42AM

"During Google I/O this summer the Google TV team promised more features were on the way -- the upgraded Google Play app just arrived -- and now it's posted a "sneak peek" video (embedded after the break) that shows us a few.

As promised, there's second screen integration allowing users to browse live TV and streaming content on the app, then choose it so it starts playing on the TV. Much of the demo is focused on the big improvements it says it's made to search, with voice search that works across TV and the internet to quickly pull up specific content, content by genre or perform specific tasks like tuning in a particular channel or website like Google Maps.

There's also a new mini-guide overlay based on its personalized TV & Movies app so you can get an idea of what else is on without jumping completely away from what you were watching. Getting cheaper hardware available from more manufacturers is just one part of the puzzle, we'll see if these improvements make Google TV a desired intermediary between broadcast television and internet streaming.

Update: Someone may have goofed and released the vid accidentally, because it's been marked as private now. We did manage to grab a couple of snapshots though, check them out after the break."

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  3. CatfishRivers

4. redpandaalex

redpandaalex New Member

I got a chance to see the video before it got taken down, and I have to say, once this hits, you won't be able to call Google TV half-baked or an incomplete product anymore. I think it will have arrived, doing for Google TV what ICS did for Android.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Sounds cool, the video indicated private when i tried to play it, maybe it will be available to watch soon. Were you able to watch it?

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Of course the chance my two Logitech Revues will be updated to this upcoming version, assuming it is actually released, is approximately zero. I will keep my fingers crossed that Sony will update my NSZ-GT1, assuming it is capable.

7. CatfishRivers

Too bad Google has now made the video private. Maybe Google "leaked" the video on purpose to create a "buzz" and show the world that they haven't given up on GTV. IMO they probably pulled it because it is not a final release version and they are still iterating and making changes to v3.

For my own personal tastes voice search is not a big deal - although I'm sure many will like it. I would be happy with an updated browser and Flash, smoother overall operation (less freeze-ups, reboots, Aww Snap! messages, & less Shockwave crashes). Also some great new content apps running HTML5 would be sweet - and widespread acceptance and integration with the TV Networks, Comcast, etc.......

Also NDK support and video camera support would be great. Skype compatibility would be cool......

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012