Quantcast

Google TV streaming capabilities

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by derekcentrico, May 5, 2011.

1. derekcentrico

derekcentrico New Member

I'm looking at buying a Revue for our home. There are several concerns that I have. If anyone has advice, please share.

1. Can the Revue access content on a network storage drive (audio/video) or view content if a 2TB drive is attached via USB?

2. Has anyone heard if Revue will receive the big updates expected for Google TV at or after the Google I/O?

3. Slingmedia demonstrated a Google TV app in January. Does anyone expect that app to support Revue?

Currently, I have a Windows PC hooked up to my TV to stream content using the Boxee app. I lost DISH as the landlord decided he didn't want a satellite on the premises and cable is too expensive. My plan is to put a Slingbox Pro HD at my parents house to stream content here. I hate the Windows PC and would like to move towards network storage for local content and stream everything simplistically with Google TV.

Opinions and advice appreciated. Thanks.

2. SourDieseL

SourDieseL New Member

Let me preface this by saying im a 3-4 week old Revue user so I'm fairly new to owning and using it. I've got my netflix working but can do that through my xbox just as easy. I've learned from this site that the GoogleTV hasn't got the best reviews, it has some great potential, just that it's falling short of being up to date and lack customer support responses. I've also perused the logitech support forums and tons of users there are unhappy about the lack of transparency and support that we wish to see. So with those grains of salt...

1 - yes I believe DLNA streaming is available on the revue, I currently have a NAS that my Revue can see, navigate, but it doesn't play any of my media (not even MP3s!), also the media player has some specific codecs so 'most' file formats should be accepted, I've gotten zero to play which is a major downside for me.

2 - The only update I've heard about is a security fix.

3 - No apps yet, it seems as if the whole community has been waiting on it also.

I like to think my technical capability to be rather proficient which leads me to having higher expectations on the product. I admit I purchased without thoroughly researching it and found the responses here to be negative at best. At best I found my usage to be netflix, youtube, and liveTV. NBA Game cast or whatever it is, doesn't even work on my box for some reason, the splash screen loads, the it magically resets and retries to reload the splash. Sucks especially during the playoffs but I guess not many simultaneous games going on at once.

One could also argue that LT isn't supporting and developing their product anymore because of the 'SmartTV' realm that is slowly unraveling. Maybe foresight? Maybe hindsight, either way current Revue users are not getting the support they wish.

I'm happy with what I have so far, but would be far more impressed with a LOGITECH device if it had APPS and could play back my media on my NAS outside of what it's already doing. I hope this shed some light on your purchasing decision, I think the concept is there, just no communication as to why it's not being moved forward with technology that is readily available on smart phones and tablets.