Quantcast

Google TV: Silent But Not Forgotten At Google I/O 2013

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, May 17, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google TV: silent but not forgotten at I/O 2013 | The Verge (click for full article)

by David Pierce - May 17, 2013

"It's easy to miss the Google TV booth here at I/O 2013, hidden in the corner of the third floor. That may not be an accident: there was apparently no room in the company's sprawling three-and-a-half-hour keynote to mention Google TV, either, just a short blog post hours later announcing that it now runs the latest version of Android. So in a sea of new products, services, and pitches to developers, we couldn't help but wonder: is TV dead? Google has killed plenty of products with many more fans than Google TV - will it go the way of Reader?

GOOGLE TV IS ANDROID, AND ANDROID IS GOOGLE TV

We've been told that Google TV isn't going away - the company can't give up, because the market and opportunity are too large. But Google's changing its approach to your living room, beginning with the update this week. Google TV is now based on Android 4.2.2, the latest version of the operating system, and offers developers much more - when Google TV first started three years ago, the team forked Android to build the OS, and a source described this update as "bending the fork back in." Google TV is Android, and Android is Google TV - or it will be, whenever the update becomes available. It's what Google TV should have been from day one."

Last edited: May 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. chopper

chopper Active Member

I would consider buying another GTV device if: Full Android, complete codec support, a Camera for Skype video calls, the ability to use a tablet to control GTV (thinking pinch to zoom and rotation gestures) and Primetime outside the USA were all included in a revamp. Additionally, GTV would have my support for years to come if my Canadian Cable Co. was supported to the degree that Dish is in the USA. Not only that but if GTV really did all of this I predict the platform would really take off via word of mouth: Yet, a well organized advertizing campaign is long overdue.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  3. tfid

tfid New Member

Add to the wish list: Ability to load and use different browsers, networks stop blocking content to GTV (It's just a computer with a 60" monitor for pete's sake.), and a program like MX player that will play any video file without a transcoding server.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I was just wondering if Chrome Extensions from the Chrome Store will work with the GTV Jellybean update. IMO that would be huge. Right now GTV doesn't support Chrome Extensions - so I was thinking about buying a Chromebook. The articles state that GTV will get Chrome 26 with the update - and that the Chrome browser will then be on a 6 week update cycle. I'm hopeful that the Chrome Extensions will be supported.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Note: Well in regard to Chrome Extensions the GTV development team had mentioned some time ago that it was "something they were looking into" as a possibility for the future.

However apparently Chrome on android still doesn't support Chrome Extensions either:

https://developers.google.com/chrome/mobile/docs/faq

So I don't envision GTV supporting Chrome Extensions before it's supported on Chrome for android.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  5. tfid

tfid New Member

That is the main reason I want to use a different browser. FireFox has Adblock plus add-on (as well as sideloaded flash). I love addblock plus. It works better on a PC, but it still works on a tablet for a lot of ads. That's the one downside to flash on a PC is the moving flash based ads.

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately in many cases the content owners have licensed the content for traditional PCs only, it is not just the networks behind blocking these little streaming boxes. I certainly hope eventually that will change but different browsers used with Google TV probably isn't going to overcome blocking Google TV, at least not for more than however long it takes to figure out how to block whatever browser is used, probably a day or so at the longest. I don't own any content and don't understand why some companies that do don't want Google TV to have access but I am sure it is about maximizing profits.