Quantcast

Google TV + OTA Antenna

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by yelserp87, Jun 26, 2012.

1. yelserp87

yelserp87 New Member

What is the best way to do this with full integration of guides and listings?

Looking for something without monthy subs and for cheap <$150. I have read about channel master, Kworld, and tivo.

I was also wondering if the boxee live tv will work with the google tv. I can easily snag the boxee with the dongle for $150. It has a great interface too.

I know this question has come up a lot (believe me I have searched) I just want to know what equipment is currently out there (most posts seem to be old) and what you guys are using.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The best option in my opinion is a TiVo Premiere with lifetime subscription but that costs about $500. A used dual tuner TiVoHD without subscription would be an inexpensive way if all you want are OTA tuners and no DVR. I think the current TiVo Premiere is unusable with current firmware without a subscription but the previous TiVoHD with Google TV guide is pretty cool, two 30 minute buffers but no DVR functions and no TiVo functions other than pause, 30 second skip, slow motion, and REW and FF of the 30 minute buffer. The rudimentary DVRs, such as Channel Master are pitiful in my opinion and not nearly enough of a savings compared to TiVo to be justifiable.

I am using OTA with two TiVoHDs with lifetime subscriptions and one TiVoHD with no subscription, I also have three Google TV boxes.

3. yelserp87

yelserp87 New Member

Thanks for the reply! For the Tivo without a sub: do you still get channel updates via tivo and/or google?

Is there a specific hd model you recommend?

I just read about the new vizio google tv's ($99) and the tivo+gtv combo seems like a real cable cutting option. I personally dont mind switching inputs but I want something that anybody can use and figure out.

4. ChrisG8

The channel guide comes from Google TV, nothing from TiVo at all without a subscription. If you have a Google TV box now, go through setup and tell it where you are and are using TiVo with OTA and see what kind of program guide it picks up. The nice thing about the setup running an unsubscribed TiVo through Google TV is you can select what you want to watch using the Google TV guide and it will switch the HDMI input from Google TV to TiVo and change the TiVo channel to the selected program. Still I couldn't be without a DVR, this solution works great for me on my third display when I can sit down and watch a live sporting event or something that happens to be on at the time but I couldn't be happy without full DVR functions on the other displays. An unsubscribed TiVoHD with Google TV is a lot better than just an unsubscribed TiVo.

The model I use is called TiVoHD TCD652160, it is very inexpensive used without subscription.

• Like Like x 2
  5. yelserp87

yelserp87 New Member

If I can get the Premiere and the HD for the same price would you still recommend the HD? I have heard a lot of bad things about the premiere but that was when they first came out. It has been 2 years and I think a couple updates would make them stable by now....you would think.

6. ChrisG8

As I mentioned above, as far as I know a TiVo Premiere with current firmware without subscription doesn't work at all, closer to a boat anchor than anything else I can think of. A TiVo Premiere with lifetime subscription is a thing of beauty. As far as TiVo without subscription, I would say the TiVoHD is the best option. In my opinion most of the whining about TiVo is unfounded, the second best DVR isn't even close. Still lots of TiVo owners whine about nothing of significance and have for as long as I have owned a TiVo and participated on various forums discussing TiVo, since October 2000.

7. Sajpogi

Sajpogi New Member

Hi Sorry to bring up an old topic. I have been reading a lot about this setup. I recently got the TIVO HD TCD-652160. I plan to use it as unsubcribed. I tried to copy your setting above.

But how do you get the Channel Guide to show what's showing or what's showing next. Every time I press the "Guide" button, I get the Tivo warning that I need to subscribe. And not the Guide from Revue as you mentioned on the above post.

My work around for now would be to use the "TV and Movie" app. I look at what's showing, click it, then Revue changes to Tivo and changes the channel.

Is there a particular setup in order to get the "Guide" button to work?

Any clarification would help. Thanks.

Saj

My setup:

Set it up TIVO first in order to get OTA channels. Connected the tivo HDMI out to Revue HDMI in. Then HDMI out of Revue to TV.
    Went through setup on Revue, told Revue that im using the TIVo model and chose "Broadcast Digital" as my channel source/lineup.

"TV" button works. switches from Revue to Tivo (of course with the nagging at top, but disappears asap). Able to change channels up and down using the keyboard.
    "Guide" button if pressed shows a warning that I need to subscribe.

8. ChrisG8

Try the Buddy TV guide or one of the other similar free apps in the Google Play market, I don't recall the names.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Sajpogi

Sajpogi New Member

Yes, I tried that too and chose the favorite channels.

Last question, on your unsubscribed Tivo, do you get the "Guide" button to work?

Thanks.

10. ChrisG8

The guide button used for TiVo will not provide any guide data since any TiVo provided guide requires a subscription, nothing can change that. The various guides provided by Google TV, the TV and Movies app are the way to get guide information for an unsubscribed TiVo and it works a lot better than no guide and I am not aware of any other device that can add value like this to an unsubscribed TiVo other than Google TV.

TiVo is currently running a promotion, use product code PLSR for a TiVo Premiere 320GB with lifetime and Wireless-G adapter for $470 shipped plus tax. I have been using the G adapter a long time with great results with my network.

Fast-Forward Sale - TiVo