Quantcast

Google TV optimization for PlayOn.TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by eferz, Aug 31, 2011.

1. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone using PlayOn or intends to use it with Google TV to bump this thread with your request/desire: Google TV optimization | PlayOn. You know, with "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" and all that.

2. stuberman

stuberman Member

It would be cool to have an area (GTV apps? or GTV services?) that had topics (subfolders) for these types of GTV services. I have never heard of PlayOn before this thread. It took me a bit to figure out what it was (an $80 media server application which delivers a variety of TV content).
    It would be great to have descriptions of these services, as well as a variety of comments (how hard is it to install, how well does it work, is it worth $$, news, rumors, alternatives, developers ideas, etc). Or perhaps some more newbie threads that speak at a high level about the common services people are using GTV for (use cases).
    At this point I am not sure I want to build and run a server (24x7?) to 'trial' PlayOn. I do love that GTV recognizes media servers on the local subnet (such as my son's PC).

• Like Like x 2
  3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It also acts as media server for your multimedia files; however, it isn't a DNLA certified server so it isn't accessible through Logitech's or Sony's Media Player but through the Chrome browser along with the other transcoded television services.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Buzzny

Buzzny New Member

I am using the PlayOn only through my WDTV player then into the TV's HDMI. YES, I would really love to incorporate PlayOn directly too.