Quantcast

Google TV on non certified Android TV boxes

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by anotherfinemess, Dec 10, 2012.

1. anotherfinemess

anotherfinemess New Member

Hello to all forum members. I will be starting a service mainly focused on TV using some cheap HDMI Android A9 CPU Dongles from China. I wouldn;t consider buying a branded device mainly of their high price! The thing is that my dongle says that is running Google TV at startup, Android 4.1 though no Google TV apps apear in the market. I can run all the regural apps in run on my phone though when i google to play(dot)google(dot)com and try to install a Google TV app from my PC browser it says that this device is not compatible. Evidently i installed Youtube for Google TV through aptoide(dot)com and it worked fine. So i am assuming my device is not authorized to run Google TV apps. The Android Interface differs from Sony's or LG's Google TV and is more similar to a Android 4.1 Tablet. So can anyone tell me what would i have to do to get the Google Play Market for Google TV and install all the Google TV apps? I'm sure they run fine on the HDMI dongle and the whole issue is a matter of certification or something....

Greetings from Greece!

2. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

You can do it but its not a simple task. First you would need to root your device. An then find and install a modified version of Google Play Store that has the device checks removed. I seen a few floating around before.

Another way to do it is by sideloading the apps you want just like you did with the YouTube app.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2