Quantcast

Google TV live TV collation on steroids

Discussion in 'Google TV Feature Wish Lists' started by technohead95, Oct 31, 2011.

1. technohead95

technohead95 New Member

I have longed for a really rich live TV collation concept for many years but as of now, I do not believe there any solution that can provide do this.

People have TV's in a number of rooms at home; people also have live TV signal cables (whether that's TV aerial, cable, satellite or some other means). However, the rooms where signal cables are, may not be the same rooms that the TV's are in.

My concept is:
    1. A GTV box can be connected to a TV signal cable and/or a TV.
    2. Any GTV box connected to a TV signal cable can be utilised by any GTV box connected to a TV.
    3. Likewise, any GTV box connected to a TV, can utilise any GTV box connected to a TV signal cable.
    4. Each GTV box connected to the TV, would show a complete list of shows that are contained on all GTV boxes. (It is not important for the user to know which physical GTV box the show is recorded on.)
    5. Likewise, when recording a programme from a GTV box, it is not important for the user to know which physical GTV box the show will be recorded on.
    This will allow every TV signal cable to become a shared resource for all the TV's in the house. No longer must a TV have it's own dedicated TV signal.

2. BigBizoo

BigBizoo New Member

Nice project very ambitious !
    But I think for the moment GoogleTV CPU is not strong enougth.
    So if you found something tell us.

3. technohead95

technohead95 New Member

The closest I found to this ideal setup is using Windows Media Centre and a Windows Home Server. Media Center can be configured to move it's recordings onto the Home Server so they are collated in one location. Any Media Center can then play back those recordings on the Home Server. Unfortunately, you can't play back something that is currently being recorded by another Media Center as it would only have access to it's local recordings and those which have already been moved to the Home Server. With regards to shared freeview tuners, I have seen network connected TV tuners that work with Media Center (can't recall the exact link but I'm sure a Google search would find many such products). A special driver needs to be installed on each Media Center so it appears as if those network tuners are local. Once a network tuner is being used by one Media Center, it then becomes unavailable for other Media Centers.

The above setup turns out to be quite an expensive setup. You'd be looking at a £200 to £400 per Media Center PC, around £400 for a decent Home Server and around £100 to £200 for the network freeview tuners. Plus, the whole setup didn't seem like it would be that reliable so it completely put me off.

Since posting, I've seriously cut down how much broadcast TV I watch so I end up just streaming everything from Internet as it's easier, simpler and cheaper.

4. BigBizoo

BigBizoo New Member

You can probabely use a SAN to centralise all records at the same place. These records can be reach (and see) by all media center of your network.
    If you have a TV signal cable you connect a media center.
    If you don't have a TV signal cable you connect a GTVBox or stick.

But to share live TV stream on your network without TV cable you can only use a streaming server. This solution is expensive if all GTVBox can read a different stream on the same TV signal cable. If not it can cost 5$. :D

5. technohead95

technohead95 New Member

Windows Media Center can't record to a network location out of the box. It can only record locally. There's some 3rd party add-ons that allow recordings to be recorded directly to a network location (or moved after it has finished recording locally). If you have a Windows Home Server, you can install the Microsoft add-on onto the Media Center which will allow you to move the recordings to the Home Server once it has finished recording locally.

(this is using Win 7 so not sure how the other versions of Windows do this).

For me, I've given up on Windows so no longer interested in that as a solution.

Good luck to those still pursuing it as a solution

6. BigBizoo

BigBizoo New Member

Damned ! It's an hard limitation.