Quantcast

Google TV Jellybean update - Report your results and experience

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by mrspock, Oct 25, 2013.

1. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

I see multiple threads with people reporting they have received the Jellybean update (currently only on LG TVs). It's great to see reporting of the results of this update, but it's spread over multiple thread. I thought it would be a good idea to consolidate the information into this one thread.

• Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I'll post a few tidbits that I gleaned today from the GTV Community on Google+.

1) It's reported that a full factory reset has restored the Netflix and Amazon apps for several LG GTV users with the Jellybean update. Someone mentioned he had to do the reset twice to get those apps to work:

https://plus.google.com/104256777404929587265/posts/iX6fT8VjNat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The WatchESPN and HBOGO android apps work with the LG GTV televisions that have received the Jellybean update. However those apps don't show up in the Play Store (with the GTV LG televisions) and they need to be sideloaded. The following thread gives some instructions for sideloading WatchESPN:

https://plus.google.com/110602443858819149147/posts/8PhgmBGrvWd

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  3. ericd

ericd Active Member

Thanks Catfish, the factory reset did return Netflix and Amazon to working order for me.

Ok, so since the update and reset I've lost Crackle, HBO, the default alarm clock, Plex (which I didn't use), and Play-on's not working (says I need subscription... this may have changed before the update).

The only good thing I've noticed is the remote seems a tad bit more responsive, but for me this whole fiasco has been a big bust. Almost every app in the Playstore shows incompatible

4. CatfishRivers

Well there's more apps that 'work' compared to before the update - the problem is that many of them need to be sideloaded. Hopefully more devs will now make their apps available specifically for GTV. I agree that sideloading is not an ideal situation.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Travel

Travel Active Member

In the back of my mind I've been wondering (in reference to your first post) whether doing a factory reset after the Jelly Bean update would be a good idea. It seems that it probably is.

6. vestus

vestus New Member

It's usually a good idea when updating android phones at least. Does Titanium work on the GTV?

7. ericd

ericd Active Member

I'm sure you already know this, it's more for others reading this thread, but the reset wipes all your downloaded apps. It was my last resort to get Netflix and Amazon back after I tried "force stop" and "clear cache" methods from Catfishes link. I didn't have any sideloaded apps so it wasn't too much of a pain to get everything back.

8. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

You can avoid wipiing out all yer apps by syncing your accounts. Same w/bookmarks.

For Apps: Home>Settings>Accounts & Sync>Background Data>Auto Sync

*Make sure "Sync is on" Icon is green lighted.

For bookmarks: Chrome>Settings>Bookmarks (Check box)>Google accounts and click on your e-mail address.

*Make sure your bookmarks are properly synced by checking your bookmark page. There are two bookmark pages. The default page is synced. This page will have the "other Bookmarks" folder. If you do not see this folder repeat steps above. The last & most important step in the process is clicking on the e-mail address of the account you want to sync yer bookmarks.

This feature will work for Factory Resets, New GTV units, and for Chrome on network PCs, Macs & Tablets.

Carl

• Like Like x 4
  9. Travel

Travel Active Member

How's the browser? Did you get the latest "Chrome For Android" update?

Can you now use the YouTube website and "standard" gmail?

10. ericd

ericd Active Member

Honestly, I never used the browser much for viewing You Tube or G mail but I just tried them and they both worked. I usually view You Tube through the app or off the home page which are both working well. The browser version (29.0.1547.63) does seem slightly different and a little snappier.

A couple other new things I've noticed, my clock seems to stay accurate now. Before the update, my clock would loose 3-4 minutes a day and needed constant manual resetting (even with automatic time checked). I'm also finding myself having to use the "gesture" pointer a lot more than before. When setting the time on- time off you can no longer use the up-down buttons to set the time. It's not really a complaint, just something I have to get used to.

I'm starting to warm up to the update a little. I'm an old fart and sometimes change is a hard thing to manage. Hopefully, more developers will be forced to open their apps to GTV after the KitKat update

11. Travel

Travel Active Member

Good, then the browser is pretty much up to date, as the Chrome version 30.1599.92 is just becoming available in the play Store this week. Apparently, the 31. and 32. versions are in beta. The Chrome versions seem to roll out fast and furious, but, with the Jelly Bean update, GoogleTV (AndroidTV) is supposed to get on the same update schedule as the other Android devices (phones and tablets).

12. Travel

Travel Active Member

well, supposedly, according to Google in their developers' forum FAQ, the apps should work after the Jelly Bean update: there may be some small adjustment necessary in the various apps' manifest about "swipe screen not needed," as GoogleTV (AndroidTV) is controlled by D-Pad. As a perpetual "GoogleTV optimist" I'm thinking that apps availability "thing" will fall into place in the Play Store, shortly, for all active-developers' apps.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  13. ericd

ericd Active Member

Thanks Travel, I started side-loading apps last night and with the exception of a couple (Hulu Plus and TWC app) everthing that works on my Galaxy Tab II also works on the LG. To fix the orientation on most apps you need to check the box at settings> options > "Do not rotate screen on portrait mode"

14. CatfishRivers

Hi thanks for your feedback. Can you please elaborate a bit when you say YouTube "works" with the GTV Chrome browser.

It's my understanding that the GTV Jellybean update utilizes the android Chrome browser instead of the desktop Chrome browser. (The desktop version of Chrome is currently used on GTV devices with the Honeycomb OS).

Because Flash is removed from the android Chrome browser (and HTML5 on the desktop YouTube web site is still in beta) - my guess is that your LG GTV is directed to the mobile version of the YouTube web site? Here's the link:

http://m.youtube.com

*Note: (If GTV users with Honeycomb update try to go to the mobile version they are automatically redirected to the desktop version). GTV users on Honeycomb OS can get to the mobile YouTube website by changing the user agent to "android". However those videos don't play on my Logitech Revue.

I just wanted to see if you can clarify this - because generally speaking most people tend to think that the mobile version of web sites are inferior to the full desktop versions. Some people might find this information useful in making a purchasing decision.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Travel

Travel Active Member

The Titanium app gets a "not compatible" error message in the Play Store for the current version of the GS7.

16. ericd

ericd Active Member

Sorry for the confusion, you're right Catfish. If you try to access the desktop version of Youtube you get an error. The mobile version works from the app, the chrome browser and the LG home screen

Edit: Sorry again for the confusion, I got my threads mixed up. I thought I was still in the LG forum.
    Catfish, I had to remove the link from your post to be able to quote you, hope you don't mind

• Like Like x 2
  17. CatfishRivers

Thanks for that information.

Taking this one step further - I believe the desktop version of the YouTube web site could be used (With LG GTV Jellybean devices) if the Flash workaround is utilized? That involves downloading the Firefox browser and the Flash apk - and then setting the Firefox browser to view as desktop. Although I've read that this Flash workaround doesn't have real good video quality - especially when compared to how Flash currently works in GTV devices with Honeycomb OS. Would you agree with that assessment?

By the way - if you get a chance I was wondering if you could test a different kind of Flash workaround which is based on cloud technology. Here is a link to the free version of the Puffin brower in Google Play Store. It's supposed to be a pretty good browser that uses cloud technology for Flash:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cloudmosa.puffinFree

Is the quality of Flash videos better with the Puffin browser compared to the other workaround method of using Firefox with the downloaded Flash apk?

Thanks again for your assistance. Greatly appreciated.......

18. ericd

ericd Active Member

Sorry it took so long, I was watching the game (go cards).

Puffin works and I can log onto the regular youtube (without the m. before). It's a little buggy but useable. Just for s4its and giggles I tried Hulu plus through the browser and it worked (sort of) It was real slow and choppy.

The Puffin Browser has a 14 day limit to flash access and annoying ad banners. This was on the free version, not sure if there's even a paid version or not. Let me know if you need to know if any other sites work

• Like Like x 2
  19. CatfishRivers

Hi thanks for your feedback. Yes there's a paid version of the Puffin Browser available.

Can you please test ESPN3 , CBS.com and the regular Hulu web site. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you tried the following workaround for Flash (using Firefox browser - see link below for instructions):

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57554629-285/install-adobe-flash-player-on-jelly-bean-devices/

If you have tried the Flash workaround from the link above - how would you say the Flash video quality compares to the quality using the Puffin web browser?

20. ericd

ericd Active Member

Hulu keeps directing me back to Hulu Plus, trying to find a way within browser to sign out after I signed in last time. Still real choppy, not watchable.

ESPN 3 redirects to Watch ESPN with a choice of channels(ESPN 3 is one of them) after signing in to cable provider. Have to turn off Puffin pop up blcker. A little better than Hulu Plus but not really worth the effort.

My internet runs around 18-20 MPS not sure if faster internet would make a difference or the flash workaround is mucking things up

Sending flash APK to the tv now, do I just download the APK or do I need another browser (firefox) for it to work?