Quantcast

Google TV: It's Actually Awesome, And Here's How To Get The Most Out Of It

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 13, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google TV: It's Actually Awesome, and Here's How to Get the Most Out Of It (click for full article)

"Remember Google TV? You know, Google's weird, cumbersome foray into the world of set top boxes? When it was released it seemed like a convoluted mess, but it's actually evolved into a pretty awesome platform. Here's why you should care and how you can get the most out of it.

What You Can Do with Google TV and Why It's Great"

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Wish there were many more positive articles on Google TV.

3. CatfishRivers

Use Your Google TV as a Wireless Bridge (click for full article)

Use Your Google TV as a Wireless Bridge

I recently discovered Google TV is actually awesome and not the dud I thought it was, which has helped me come across even more cool things the platform can do. One of the most interesting and lesser-known options is that Google TV can act as a wireless bridge for your Ethernet-only devices so you can broadcast them wirelessly across your network.

Google TV developer advocate Christian Kurzke posted this tip on Google+:

Most users connect their Google TV device to their home network via the built in high speed WiFi (802.11N). Few users know that they then can connect other "wired" Ethernet devices to the free Ethernet port on the Google TV devices. Google TV will forward all Internet traffic between those devices and the wireless network.

(You can check in the System Setup "Network Status" and verify that "Private Network" is enabled).

By enabling your "Private Network," anything plugged into the extra free Ethernet port on your Google TV will gain wireless capabilities. There are still several devices without Wi-Fi capabilities these days, and plenty of older ones you may still own, so this is a simple way to upgrade them without spending any extra money."

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  4. CatfishRivers

Chromemote Is a Google TV Remote That Lives in Chrome (click for full article)

From the article:

"Chrome and Google TV: I recently discovered that Google TV is actually pretty great, and ever since I've been hearing about cool stuff people are doing with the platform. One such example is Chromemote, a Chrome extension that can control your Google TV.

If you've ever watched TV with a computer on your lap, you don't need help to understand why this is useful. Yes, you probably have a remote for your Google TV but unless you own a Sony box it's probably a full-sized keyboard, a tablet, or a smartphone. Chromemote puts the remote conveniently in your web browser so you can click to reveal it whenever you need to navigate. This way you can quickly control the TV while you're on your computer without having to deal with the remote.

It even supports keyboard input, which is especially useful if you need to type a web address or are just navigating around with the arrow and enter keys. The extension is still in beta, but it worked beautifully for me and with hardly any delay. It's as easy to pair with your television as anything else, and operates over Wi-Fi to provide plenty of range. If you use a Google TV and watch with your laptop nearby, you'll want to grab this extension."

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bhcjclaangpnjgfllaoodflclpdfcegb
    (click for free Chromemote beta from Chrome web store)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Spidershowl11

Spidershowl11 New Member

This is really a good feature that we didn't know existed. It is really cool to upgrade your system without extra money. I did a quick test with a generic workgroup switch and 2 devices and my Revue only handed out 1 additional IP. Is anyone getting more IPs than one?