Quantcast

Google TV is a big fail in my book.

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by chucktownriver, Nov 20, 2011.

1. chucktownriver

chucktownriver New Member

Not that anyone cares but I have owned the Sony Google TV for about 6 month's now and it has been a big disappointment. Even after the big update it defiantly not worth the money. If you are planning to buy a google tv this holiday you might want to think twice. Below are my complaints:

A. Sony remote sucks! The mouse is so frustrating my wife won't even attempt to navigate.
    B. Now with the update the system seems so slow it takes forever to even open an app.
    C. Shockwave crashes!! Are you kidding me? I cant even watch a whole college game on ESPN without 3 or 4 crashes in one game. I finally hooked my laptop up to the tv and streamed perfect!
    D. No decent apps.
    C. No support for slingbox. I consider this the biggest fail. I purchased this device with the perception it was capable of streaming slingbox. I know, i should have done my homework.

I have since replaced my google tv device with a laptop and it's so much better. I don't get blocked from streaming any sites, slingbox works, and no more freak-in shockwave crashes.

Goodbye google tv!

2. gomezf75

gomezf75 New Member

im still planning on buying it. but is it really that bad?

3. mightymikek83

mightymikek83 New Member

lol No, it's not that bad. I mean the OP is having bad experience but I haven't had one bad experience yet. I said the only gripe I've had is the laggyness when scrolling through web sites but honestly, 100.00 bucks? You can't go wrong. If you don't like it, then don't use it. It's $100.00 bucks--but I'm sure you would always use it, I do everyday and I have no complaints.

4. zen2go

zen2go New Member

My five year old can navigate between apps just fine using the Sony remote, and he barely knows how to read!

5. seanR

seanR New Member

I down loaded the Google TV app for my phone and it is more user friendly.

6. cordova5252

cordova5252 New Member

if your going to get one get google tv get the sony blueray google tv with the white remote bettter then the revue. I haven't had any glitches. apps load fast. I like the small remote.

7. les anderson

les anderson New Member

Shockwave crashes are getting increasingly annoying. Otherwise, I love it.

8. gomezf75

gomezf75 New Member

I've been doin my homework and it doesn't seem bad at all. All it is, is bugs that can be fixed. I'm getting the Sony 32. Wish that Had blue ray. I dont see why it doesn't. It should.

• Like Like x 2
  9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Why don't you get the NSZ-GT1 if you want a Blu-Ray player? That way you're not limited to the lack of features on the Sony Internet TV. If you still need a TV, you can always purchase it separately with better panel quality and feature set at a lower cost.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
    • Like Like x 4
  10. MStrawder

MStrawder New Member

Shockwave crashes are due to site designers not optimizing their flash content for anything outside of a PC. At least according to Google. Seems to be an OOM issue. However I still love my Revue. I do wish in retrospect that I would have bought the Blu-Ray player as I needed one and it would have also given me the GTV aspect of it. I may still and put the Revue in the bedroom.

11. Winkle

Winkle New Member

Instead of complaining maybe you should look into people who have cracked the software sorta like jailbreak for ipod.. oh wait ive never heard of either lol

12. jagan_indian9

jagan_indian9 Member

Browser is good except for the annoying shockwave crashes. Inspite of that, I love my Sony Bluray Google TV.

13. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I only use my two for browsing and to watch movies and TV shows from the internet. I see nothing to complain about, I have a queue with about 100 programs to watch, this is exactly what I wanted the device to do. It is easy to use, I am certainly not very technical. As far as the Sony remote, it looks good to me but I wanted a keyboard for browsing and searching for programs to watch so the Revue was the best choice for me. I do see a lot of complaints about Google TV but little or none of it makes much sense to me.

14. gomezf75

gomezf75 New Member

its too small for me. i want to get the ps3 after the google tv but i heard that a ps4 might be coming out 2012. so i might just wait

15. frmorrison

frmorrison New Member

The PS4 will come out around Holiday 2012, so little over a year from now.
    There are a lot of choices, just do what works for you.

16. twiddler

twiddler New Member

Windows 8 Media Center will be the way to go in 2012.

17. gomezf75

gomezf75 New Member

yea im just going to wait for ps4. a year is not that much for me lol

18. AustenEyre

AustenEyre New Member

I'm loving my Sony Google TV. The updates have made it even nicer. On my wishlist though: 1. a way to open PDFs (can preview them when they're sent to my gmail, but can't read them straight from the website) 2. No more shockwave or flash crashes (problems have been minimal for me though) 3. The ability to watch Netflix PIP

19. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you are aware of it - but I wanted to mention that there is a workaround for viewing PDF files on GTV here:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-faqs/1849-workaround-viewing-pdf-file.html

I'd like to mention an additional point that wasn't mentioned in the PDF thread - and that is that you can try entering the URL of the PDF file into Google search - and often the search results will have the option to "view as HTML".

As for as the Shockwave crashes - the situation can be improved upon a bit (although not completely) - if you keep the page totally still until it is all the way finished loading (no scrolling while the page isn't completely loaded yet).

Also when I've been on the web surfing for a while - I've found that overall surfing can be improved by clearing the cache or doing a soft reboot by pressing: Alt + Ctrl + DEL. This makes my browsing a bit more 'peppy' and a bit more stable. No need to clear all your browsing data - because that would also clear your cookies which can be a pain and IMO isn't necessary.

20. AustenEyre

AustenEyre New Member

Thanks--that didn't work for the one I tried (got tothe doc and it somehow wasn't available), but I'll try it in the future.