Quantcast

Google TV = HOME

Discussion in 'More News from Your Google TV News Team' started by Rickaren, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Google TV To Be Central Device In Home For Cable, Internet, Automation & More?
    08/30/2011

[​IMG]

See, I told you it probably wasn’t dead. Several months ago I wrote Android Apps May Save Google TV’s Ass though I did then later write The Death Knell For Google TV? Logitech Revue Drops Price To $99 Admittedly, in that second one I did say, “What it really sounds like is one of two things: a throwing in of the proverbial towel, or, a way to clear out inventory for Revue 2.0.” So as you can see, I was right, again, not to gloat or anything (muahahaha!) Well, I did sort of hedge my bet on that last one so I really couldn’t lose, could I?

Recently there was a series of, let’s call them maneuvers, on the part of Google in regards to Google TV. I talked to some people who thought that they were going to just call it quits, like they have with so many other projects that showed so much potential. But I didn’t think Google was ready to concede defeat just yet. After all, I think Google TV might be core to this home automation thing that Google wants Android to turn into which I mentioned in Google-Motorola Deal Means More Video Streaming to Android Devices? Here’s a pretty cool video showing and Android home control interface.

So after all that, the new Honeycomb Android Google TV OS was “leaked” in a beta form to the Interwebs. Hurrah for well planned corporate data leaks! Here’s some great instructions on how to update your device. Here’s a video:

Why do I say well-planned corporate data leak? Well, the file is still out there three weeks later. If it had really been an unauthorized leak, don’t you think they would have sent some take down and cease and desist type lingo to the sites hosting the files? Once again logic prevails! Then again, it might just be that they were ready to put it out to the public anyway.

Article Continued HERE

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Anybody feel brave today??

I know some of you guys used it, I ain't gonna brick mine though..Maybe it won't...
    If I'd payed 99.$ for it, maybe I would try it..

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If I wasn't happy with my Revue as is, I would definitely update to the leaked 3.1. As is, I can just wait for the official release although I do hope it is this year.

4. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

Lol - I got mine to play with, so I flashed the leaked update immediately!

My second Revue is in the garage with ask sorts of wires and stuff hanging off it... xD

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I'm not so much worried about bricking the Revue, as I am being able to obtain the updates for the official release. Going to the developer version sort of cock blocks your Revue from getting updates. The developer unit doesn't poll the same distribution servers for updates as the Logitech Revue. Additionally, its MAC address needs to be registered with Google in order to gain download access to the developer's updates.

Besides, Mark5 from Logitech Support has already said that installing the developer's leak into the Revue voids your warranty and they will not assist you with any problems concerning it.

Let's hope that someone is able to find a way to get those whom are using the leak, back to downloading updates from from Logitech's distribution servers when its offical. Otherwise, at $99 some of the more affluent people can afford buying a new Revue replacement, while leaving others with handicapped box.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  6. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Exactally eferz,

That was also a consideration of not doing it with my unit.
    I know of 2 people who are having issues and can't " go back " to original s/w, and probably
    won't be able to get the updates either, which is what I'm afraid of...

Now, if I'd paid the 99.$, ....