Quantcast

Google TV HDMI out to RCA composite input on a CRT TV?

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by cabbieBot, Dec 27, 2013.

1. cabbieBot

cabbieBot New Member

Will this work? I have an old boob tube that I want to use as a bedroom TV but it only has composite inputs (Red/White/Yellow). I'm hoping a converter cable could let me pump the GTV through the cord to the TV. Endgame is being able to watch Netflix on it. Would this work? Any ideas? I see that there are a lot of $30+ boxes that seem to do this but I'm hoping just a cable will work. Thanks in advance!

2. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

I tried a couple of those converters on my Sony 36 inch and could never get them to work properly.That nudge me into getting a Vizio LCD and never looked back.You could try your luck at it and maybe it might work for you but like I said I never had any luck with two of them. Mike!

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

HDMI is a digital connection, composite audio/video is analog, so there is no such thing as a "converter cable" to use with Google TV for composite audio/video input, HDMI>composite audio/video requires decoding a digital signal so electronics are required. Here is an Amazon HDMI to composite audio/video cable, look at the reviews, it doesn't work but it does allow you to connect an HDMI output to composite audio/video input which would allow you to look at an old piece of electronics being connected to a modern piece, not actually use the devices together. That would be sort of like connecting an electric cord for TV power to a horse's butt.

Amazon.com: 5 Feet 1.5m Hdmi Male to 3rca 3 RCA Video Audio Av Cable: Computers & Accessories

The few positive reviews must be by people that didn't care it doesn't work, people with one to sell, or people owning some device that actually outputs analog audio/video over HDMI which would be a violation of the license to build the device, certainly no Google TV manufacturers have built such a device in violation of the license needed to manufacture the product, only fly by night companies we have never heard of would do that.

A device to convert HDMI to composite, with the necessary electronics to decode the digital signal to analog would be in violation of the DMCA in the US so no mainstream companies make such a device but I believe there are such products available.

My recommendation, find a device with composite video output or buy a display with HDMI input. I don't know what you want to do with Google TV but Roku LT does have composite audio/video output and does a lot of the things Google TV does but far from everything, although it does many things better than Google TV. If your display has component video input, a device with component video output would offer better video quality.