Quantcast

Google TV Getting App Store Soon!

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by Rickaren, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

• March 1, 2011

Logitech: Google TV Getting App Store Soon

By Mark Hachman

[​IMG]

SAN JOSEĀ—A version of the Android Market for the Google TV platform is due "very short term," the general manager overseeing Google TV products for Logitech said Tuesday.

Speaking at the OTTCon here on Tuesday, Ashish Arora, the vice president and general manager for Logitech's Digital Home Group, was asked on a panel discussion whether Google TV owners would be able to take advantage of other Android apps soon.

Arora answered in the affirmative, although his answers didn't quite nail down the timeframe. "It will happen shortly," he said. "It's a given that it will happen this year, 100 percent," he said.

"We're talking about a very short term," he said.

Although Arora does not work for Google, Logitech was one of the key launch partners for the Google TV platform, with Sony. Logitech launched its Logitech Revue in October. At the time, some of the personalization aspects from other Google serviceswere missing, part of Google's practice of launching a product and adding functionality over time.

Google, however, has launched its marketplace for Android apps both for its phone platform as well as its Chrome Web store via the Web. So far, however, Google TV has lacked a similar aspect.

But what apps will be launched for Google TV?
    So far, one of the Google TV platform premises has been to integrate the Web and TV, or to use the Web to enhance the broadcast. "It won't just be weather apps," Arora said. "What will be really interesting will be to tie the content to what you're watching."
    S.V. Vasudevan, director of advanced architecture at Cisco, which commissioned a look at the future of TV noted that directors have begun now "live tweeting" during the television broadcast of their movie; Howard Stern also did this recently with the movie version of Private Parts.

Arora, Vasudevan, and others are here this week at the OTTCon, the shortened version of the Over-the-Top Conference, which refers now to what used to be called Internet video, Internet video streaming, or IPTV.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  2. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

W00t! A platform-specific version of the popular Android Market is expected to arrive on Google TV sometime in the very near future.

"It will happen shortly," Logitech VP Ashish Arora confirmed during a OTTCon keynote speech.

According to Arora - who was quoted by PCMag - the Market will offer access to a wide variety of (TV) relevant apps designed to enhance the overall broadcast experience.

"It won't just be weather apps. What will be really interesting will be to tie the content to what you're watching."

So, will the Google TV store also allow users to download mainstream apps originally designed for smartphones and tablets?

Well, according to CrunchGear's Matt Burns, Google has "committed" itself to making the "entire" Android Marketplace available on its TV platform.

"Yeah, all the apps are coming to the Google TV platform: Angry Birds, Google Earth, Robo Defense," wrote Burns.

"They're committed, for better or worse, to support the entire back catalog. I was assured that they are working on the scaling and they might look fine, but smartphone apps are fundamentally different than Google TV apps."

By Trent Nouveau
    Posted on Mar 1st 2011
    Source

3. harley man

harley man New Member

now thats what i am talking About ! maybe this week crossing my fingers!!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  4. tdweng

tdweng New Member

From my sources the soon does not mean this week,nor next week and in a matter of fact not even likely to happen this month, sorry to burst your bubble. We are still working on a software root, in the mean time so hopefully we will have something before market is released.

There really is no solid date for the market and could be another couple of months, but it is a major item everybody is looking for and is to come sometime in the near future.

5. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

I have no " sources " but I I think iit will be tomorrow or next Tuesday. To date every update has come on a Tuesday and rolled out to me by Friday. My fingers are crossed

6. rtalain

rtalain New Member

I'm hopeful that it will come soon as well, but in the article, the guy says, "It's a given that it will happen this year, 100 percent." It seems to me he would have worded it differently if it was actually coming out the following week. I would LOVE to be wrong.

7. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

I going of the part where he says
    We're talking about a very short term
    I read into as unless there is a disaster but I have stayed way more optimistic than most.

8. Sebrina

Sebrina New Member

There is a 98% chance this gets released at Google I/O, it falls into the Spring time-line and definitely within the 2011 roadmap. Don't expect it this week or next, you'll be disappointed, I hghly doubt they meant soon as in within a week especially they way they worded it. They're just doing their job and trying to gas you up so you keep the device a little longer given it's big disappointing reviews so they can square up the loose ends in time for the big event.

9. stonefeet

stonefeet New Member

i don't think the market will mean much at all, whenever it comes, unless there's some serious software optimizations with it, given the amount of time it's been between updates (i feel like this will get released around google i/o too) it should come with the market and then we'll all be happy.

10. bozzy

bozzy New Member

They haven't even released a developer SDK for application developers so there would be little point to open up the Android Market. My guess is that at Google I/O they will release the SDK and announce when the availability of the market will be (probably at a later date than Google I/O).

11. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Member

I agree with want you posted. To come out with Android market will get more folks upset. If one tried to download a game and the app was not meant to run Google TV the market place will prevent the app from downloading.

By releasing the sdk to develoers first will hopeful find a good number of apps devloped that will make google TV more enjoyable. Releasing the app market place now will just get more users upset, releasing it with a good number of apps ready to go is the best way to go.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  12. Velosprinter

Velosprinter New Member

OK so I am not crazy... I was starting to think that Google sent me this box and I would like to start writing Apps but there is no info or a way to do that. Good to know that it is coming at a later date.

• Like Like x 2
  13. jpsilvashy

jpsilvashy New Member

14. slaZ

slaZ New Member

Velosprinter, a letter that came with my revue box explicitly states that it is not for app development; is yours the same?

Let's see what's in the GTV NDK; if it's for the current batch of Atom-based GTV boxes or the rumored (?) next gen(?) ARM-based GTV. :D

15. eyendall

eyendall New Member

It's March 21. Where is the GoogleTV Apps store? Quit stalling; start explaining. I feel like i have been conned. Google should be ashamed of itself.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2011
  16. Sebrina

Sebrina New Member

I know how you feel, I ended up returning my unit before the 30 day period thank god I did. I ended up returning the same day the iPad 2 came out so I picked up one of those. IF (big "if" here) Google TV gets it's act together and gets an app store that's worth it I'll buy another no biggie but it's not looking very promising at the moment.

17. tdweng

tdweng New Member

So this is what i know, SDK release is either by end of month or early of next. App market is due late may - early june. The SDK will be out before the app store mainly because people will need to convert and make their apps compatible with google tv. Most apps currently do not work on google tv due to different architecture in chips, among other things.

• Like Like x 2