Quantcast

Google TV Gets the Newest Versions of Android and Chrome; Faster Updates in Future

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by dgstorm, May 16, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Moderator Staff Member

If you thought nothing about Google TV was going on at Google I/O this year you are mistaken. Although they didn't mention anything specific to Google TV during the keynote, since then they announced some cool new things for the service. First, Google is now sending out the latest Android 4.2.2/Jelly Bean to Google TV. This is a welcome upgrade and should get GTV users excited. Additionally, they are also sending out the latest version of Chrome as well. Now browsing on your Google TV should be even faster than before.

That's not all. Google also announced they plan to bring updates to Google TV on a much more timely basis, specifically stating “weeks rather than months.” Here's a quote below from the Google TV developer's blog G+ account with all the details,

LG has already updated some of their new Google TV equipped LG HDTVs with the newest Android 4.2.2 version. Above is a video of the TV with the new update.

Source: Google TV Developer's Blog Google+

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  2. credo

credo New Member

I have the first generation Sony NSX-40GT1. From what I read the first generation intel based GTVs will no get the update. That is complete bull. This is why I will probably not buy another GTV. A TV is not like a smartphone. I am not going to buy a new one every two years so I can I have the new OS.

3. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

Yes that`s why we should not buy built~in smart tv.

Envoyé depuis mon NSZ-GS7/GX70 avec Tapatalk

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't have an HDTV with Google TV built in but if I did, I would just continue to use it. I am running two first generation boxes which won't get the update to Jelly Bean and plan to continue to use those for years. I knew new models would come out and get better processors and additional features when I bought them. My TiVos are five years old and lacking compared to new models but I don't plan to replace them either. I think the first gen Google TV works well and does enough that I will continue to be happy using it. My laptop is over 4 years old and my Android tablet is an HP TouchPad, also left in the dust, everything works well and I can live with it all.

It is unreasonable to expect the first gen models to be updated, even if it is possible, which I doubt. If it happens, great but I sure don't expect it and won't complain if it doesn't happen.

5. sarreq

sarreq Member

at a guess, I'll make the assumption that the Logitech Revue won't be seeing this at all...

6. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

nope no jellybeans for the revue.. or the 1gen sony for that matter.. but... those machines could run jellybean.. im sure of it.. hell if a 1ghz cell phone can do it on 512 of ram so could the first gen gtvs..
    im not bothered by it.. my 1st gen sony box works well... and my minix works better then any google tv experience i have ever used.. but if you watch the vid at top there is huge latency on the second screen...
    its horrid... i would wait out this 2nd gen box.. wait an see what the snz gt8 looks like... and still dont know why Google did not release a second screen app at IO... i dont think its a big ask to build some second screen function into the primetime gtv app.. hell boxfish and sony have done so.... even with Jellybean being promised.. this last batch of gtv offer not enough of a compelling reason to bet on the horse again... if they can get the interface and the firmware right.. perhaps then... i will reserve judgment untill sony pushes to the their latest google box... but heck.. i already have Jellybean 4.2 on my minix tv box ,,

• Like Like x 2
  7. retroben

retroben Active Member

Too bad this update won't happen fast! LOL
    Hopefully the second gen Sony NSZ-GS7 gets this update.

8. JonWillieNelson

JonWillieNelson New Member

this is supposed to kill off flash in the browser from what I've read. A bit of a win/lose situation unfortunately.

9. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

That is what I have read which means the original Google TV models with Android 3.2 and Adobe Flash will actually have some value until Flash is no longer a requirement to stream video from some sites. Hopefully Flash will soon become a thing of the past for internet streaming but it isn't going to happen immediately.

10. chopper

chopper Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  11. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

I'm excited about the new upgrades that's coming but in the back of my mind the flash being done away with hopefully there will be a work around.Maybe that's why Sony is going with another unit(GS8) to handle all the good things that come along with the 4.2.2.Then again the GS8 might be to handle the gaming side of things.Most of the internet still uses flash for now and how long before everything is HTML5 is anybodies guess.But have no fear someone will figure it out in da forum! :cool:

12. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Hopefullly JB with NDK support on GTV will mean finally XBMC and Mame4Droid on GTV :cool:

13. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

One thing that I recall reading is that the new GTV Jellybean update won't support XBMC videos from Netflix and Amazon - this is because the new GTV Jellybean update will add hardware support for DRM.

14. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

That should be fine since there are native apps for Netflix and Amazon Instant Video.

15. lunapark

lunapark Member

Does anybody know something about updates for the NSZ-GS7 ?

16. callanish

callanish Member

I'm just wondering what this major update is going to do to U.K Google TV users considering that the bbc iplayer, itv player and tvcatchup....etc websites all use Flash. Take Flash off of the O.S, combine that with no mention whatsoever from those providers for a commitment to update their websites to support html5 and what are you left with.....a crippled box that becomes less useful rather than more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

17. CatfishRivers

The future will be interesting for sure. Hopefully the TV providers will be more inclined to develop apps for GTV because the new Jellybean update will include hardware support for DRM.

But my take from the GTV developer issue web site is that they tend to have an ego-centric view of the importance of GTV in the internet world. The GTV user base is small - but the GTV team seems to be of the attitude that GTV users should tell web sites what formats GTV supports. And then webmasters will jump at the chance to jump through hoops to support Google TV.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  18. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

LOL! It seems after some of the excitement of the announcement of the upgrade has worn off more questions than answers are coming to the surface now.They(Google) say they are committed to it's success but there was only a brief statement made during the May 15-17 meeting of the minds and the GTV display was tucked away in a corner on the third floor.I enjoy my GTV extremely and plan on purchasing the GS8 when it comes out.All that being said I am not remotely interested in any X Box costing several hundred dollars.We can just hope Google has all the bases covered when the JB 4.2 comes out.We might be getting all up for nothing as Chrome is going to be part of the upgrade too.Just have to develop a wait and see attitude cause Chrome and Jellybean 4.2.2 together might be the set top box best chance of grabbing it's share of the market.

• Like Like x 2
  19. retroben

retroben Active Member

Think about this,Adobe discontinued flash version updates in the "Linux" version only,which means they did NOT discontinue pepper flash plugin for the chrome browser,thus it should be updated regularly (I hope).

I would assume the latest chrome browser version means you'll also get the latest pepper flash plugin version as well,along with extensions support.

Someone needs to ask the main person in charge of the GTV upgrade about the circumstance of flash on GTV.

What's strange is that I have alternate Youtube apps that actually work!

A really good one is called "PlayTube for YouTube" which works pretty well side-loaded on my NSZ-GS7,it has (Amazing!) extremely smooth playback.

One downside is clicking the full button lowers quality on HD videos,so you have to hold click on and drag the video up/down to the perfect position on your screen for HD quality.

20. CatfishRivers

The pepper Flash Plug-in is for the Chrome browser on Linux machines running on x86/64 architecture.

It doesn't run on ARM processors - plus Google already very clearly stated that Flash is being purged from the GTV browser.

There might be a slight chance that a Flash workaround (similar to other Flash workarounds for android) will work with the GTV Jellybean update.

We'll just have to wait and see....

Also Chrome plug-ins still aren't supported on android. They work on desktop. I don't expect Chrome Plug-ins will work on GTV before they are supported on the android platform. I think eventually GTV will see Chrome plug-ins - but not yet.

For a further discussion of the "possibility" of Flash workarounds on the forthcoming GTV Jellybean update - see posts #40 &41 in the following thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...-tvs-get-jellybean-update-q3-5.html#post50118

Last edited: May 27, 2013