Quantcast

Google TV Gets Some Much-Needed Improvements, Still Needs More

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 15, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google TV Gets Some Much-Needed Improvements, Still Needs More | TIME.com (click for full article)

By Jared NewmanNov. 15, 2012

"Slowly but surely, Google TV is starting to look like a legitimate connected TV platform.

On Wednesday, Google announced a couple of improvements for its TV and set-top box software, including voice search and a better way to browse for movies and TV shows. The update is rolling out this week to LG's Google TV hardware, such as the 47G2 television, and will come to other second-generation hardware such as Vizio's Co-Star in the coming months."

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

I'm wondering if GTV version 3.0 includes an update to the outdated Chrome browser (which is still based on Chrome 11), updates Flash or at least makes Flash more stable, updates the android OS beyond 3.2 to ice cream sandwich or jellybean? Also there is still the issue of lack of apps and blocked content etc, TV providers (except for Dish Network) refusing to allow deep integration for Google TV devices. Also NDK support is really needed.

For me personally I don't really care about voice search that much - but I'd rather see the basic fundamental issues that I mentioned above taken care of. Just smoother overall operation without freeze-ups and reboots etc. would be terrific. Some apps such as MLB.tv and Hulu Plus would be great. I actually would not dump my Revue if the voice integration is the only differentiating factor from the Revue and second generation GTV devices. I will wait to hear what LG GTV users have to say about the new 3.0 update.

3. guest

guest Active Member

Are you saying the Revue isn't a second generation device and so won't be getting the Voice integration update????

4. CatfishRivers

Yes. The Revue was a first generation device and as such it will not be receiving the new voice integration update. This was mentioned in the Official Google TV Blog yesterday. However the Revue will get the new "Primetime" update to the TV & Movies app as well as the new YouTube app update.

Second generation hardware currently includes the Vizio Co-Star, the Sony NSZ-ZS7, and the LG GTV televisions. Soon there will also be a Hisense GTV box.

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...atures-updates-coming-google-tv-near-you.html

From The Official Google TV Blog:

"Look for all these updates first on LG devices with Google TV over the coming weeks, and to other second generation hardware with Google TV in the coming months. First generation devices will see the updates to PrimeTime and YouTube. For more information, check out our updated Google TV overview. "

5. guest

guest Active Member

Can't the Revue be updated to make it a second generation device?

6. CatfishRivers

No. All of the second generation GTV devices run ARM chips - while the first generation GTV devices run Intel chips.

I'm not sure if the new GTV voice technology would be able to be ported to run on the GTV Intel Atom chips - but the point is Google has already stated that they won't be providing the update to first generation devices.