Quantcast

Google TV Forum (this very site) blocked by Google....!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by mtv, Feb 5, 2012.

1. mtv

mtv New Member

Any Google search I've done which results in a link to this forum will display a "server not responding" error if I click on the link displayed in the Google search results page.

If I use my bookmark or type the Google TV forum.org URL directly, this site loads instantly and there is never an error message.

This has made me very wary of Google in general, as it smacks of "Big Brother" type censorship.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Interesting. How long have you noticed this situation occurring? I tend to think that it's a glitch with the way the Chrome browser is handling the link - as opposed to Google doing any kind of censoring of this site.

I say that because I had the same thing happen with some links to other sites. After a while those other links started working correctly.

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I dunno, the other day I caught Larry Page dumpster diving in my neighbors bin. Mtv could be on to something. Other than reality shows and music videos of course.

4. dugul

dugul New Member

this maybe ome think error on your link

5. mtv

mtv New Member

We've had this problem since day one (early January2012, when we got the set). Clicking the link from the Google page has never connected us to this forum.
    Any suggestions to test the theory that it's simply Google's link?

6. halox

halox New Member

It works if you hit the "reload this page later" link.

7. flippingout

flippingout New Member

I noticed this today on the main domain link but when I clicked one of the sub domains I came right here. I think it is a glitch more than censorship.

8. Inquisitor

Inquisitor New Member

I had similar issues connecting to sites through Google's search page. I found that modifying my User Agent was the cause of that problem, but if I used the default or generic User Agent or modified my custom User Agent that I was able to connect correctly. Perhaps this is a similar issue.

Are you using a Custom User Agent?
    If so, what useragentstring are you using?

9. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I just tried it on my Revue with the user agent set to "generic" and "default". Both times this was the message I got when clicking on the main forum link from the search results:

"Server error
    The website encountered an error while retrieving http://www.googletvforum.org/. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.
    Here are some suggestions:
    Reload this web page later.
    HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request."

--------------------------------------------------------------

As mentioned in a previous post - some of the links to the sub-forums work correctly. And if you click "Reload this web page later" (from the link on the error message) - then it works.

I've reported this condition to the Forum administrator - so hopefully it will get cleared up.

I would be interested to know if this same occurrence happens with a computer?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012