Quantcast

Google TV Forces Logitech to Delay Revue Set-Top

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by sparkyscott21, Dec 25, 2010.

1. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Delays are hitting Logitech's Revue, a set-top box that some have called an active competitor to the Apple TV. But it's not Logitech's fault—rumors are circulating that Google itself has stepped in and asked the company to suspend production, in the hopes that the company can finish tweaking its Google TV software by the time the new expected shipping date of January 2011 rolls around.

Logitech itself hasn't confirmed the allegations, however, noting that sales of the Revue are ongoing. If true, this would be the second set of products that Google has asked manufacturers to delay as a result of Google TV not being quite ready to ship out. According to the New York Times, Google has allegedly asked Sharp, LG Electronics, and Toshiba—amongst other television manufacturers—to delay launching any Google TV-based sets for the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show in January.

Google, as well, isn't confirming that said request for a delay took place—"rumors and speculation," said a spokeswoman to the Times.

"Our long-term goal is to collaborate with a broad community of consumer electronics manufacturers to help drive the next-generation TV-watching experience, and we look forward to working with other partners to bring more devices to market in the coming years," added Google spokeswoman Gina Weakley.

While Sony has chimed in to throw its support behind Google TV sales thus far—the company started shipping Google-TV-backed televisions to consumers in October—it's clear that the introduction of Google TV itself has done little to hamper Apple's surge to one million units sold of its competing Apple TV device. But its not alone at the top—Roku, a manufacturer of TV set-top boxes since 2008—is allegedly on-track to sell its millionth device as well by the end of 2010.

So where does that leave Google TV? Unclear, given that sales figures have yet to leak out for the few devices actually being sold at the moment.

"It's interesting that no one is impressed about Google TV at this point (including me). Yet it's interesting that only a few months ago, Apple TV/iTunes was seen as a missed opportunity for Apple to make it into the streaming video business. Now, after a second try, Apple TV/iTunes is being seen as a model, given its new $99 box," said Gary Schultz, president and founder of MRG Research, in an interview with FierceOnlineVideo.

"Maybe Google TV will get it right on the second or third try. They need big-time help on their negotiations with the media companies in Hollywood, New York, London, et al," he added

By David Murphy
    Source

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2010
  2. amigan_99

amigan_99 New Member

I wonder what part of Google TV is perceived as so unbaked that they'd ask for all of these launch delays. I have been happy with my Revue for the most part.
    The main this it could really use is a game controller and the whole thing needs to be more game site friendly. I went to a flash game site ninjakiwi.com and not a single game there would work with the Revue. But I like the Pandora app, the Youtube playback, the NetFlix app and the general Internet browsing. I would like it if they would make it integrate better with over-the-air broadcasting. Much of my reason to get the Revue is frankly to avoid paying for cable or sat tv.

3. titanflyer

titanflyer New Member

The biggest/best update google could possibly do is to get the networks to allow this device to stream their content. I am to the point where I am thinking of buying a mac mini just to get hulu, fox, and abc shows on my tv. I also really want the ability to enter pptp vpn login information so I can watch bbc iplayer without having to set up a whole workaround through the airport express. I love the google tv for its innovative approach and single source everything (blueray, internet, tv). Its just so close to being my dream device for the home theater that I won't give up on it...

4. sparkyscott21

I personally can't see this whole network thing going on a whole lot longer.
    It may surprise us though.
    As far as vpn, and proxies I am waiting for something to let loose there.. as far as plug-ins and such.
    I always watch the iplayer from the BBC as well, and I do wish that this will get sorted out soon as well.

5. rpcollins

rpcollins New Member

this whole thing scares me. i'm not trying to get in an early panic, but i got an HD DVD player several years back for Christmas and 6 months later, they pulled the plug. I realize this is much different, but all of this talk just brings back memories of that mess. So i'm hoping my GTV i got for Christmas doesnt suffer the same fate.

6. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Welcome rpcollins!
    I wouldn't sweat it...G is obviously making improvements, far from abandoning. We are, for all intents, beta testers...as an early adopter of the G1 and N1 (both day of release), I've learned that G's first iteration of anything is a trial...but with patience comes some of the BEST hardware and software ever made. :)

7. skoretsky

skoretsky New Member

So then why do some of us poor slob "beta testers" (like me) have to pay full price to be guinea pigs for this product?

8. alphawave7

Ask Google. I'd either return it and wait out the 'beta test' period without it, or hold onto it and go along with the program...I've been rewarded for doing just that time and again with Google.

9. rpcollins

rpcollins New Member

i am totally ok with being a beta tester. in fact, that is the part that i like about it. watching it grow, giving feedback, etc. i just don't want it to go away and be stranded. i see amazing potential for it, and after only using it for 5 days, i think it is fantastic. and the options seem endless. i just hope popularity doesnt wane, because i think a big key to all of this is getting developers, apps, networks on board to truly open up its full potential.

10. fbales

fbales New Member

I've always been a Google fan, for the most part, but since buying a Revue I'm less so. I don't understand how a company the size of Google can be so incompetent. So far it was a wasted $300. I'm still hoping they'll get their act together and it might turn into something good. It just really pisses me off that they release a product (I'm talking about the software here, but Logitech's hardware ain't that great either) that clearly was not ready to be released. Shame on you Google.

11. alphawave7

Looking back, I have said EXACTLY the same things (I could likely even dig up the posts!) about both the G1 and N1! I wasn't all scorched earth on Google, but disappointed they would do early-release hardware AND software, then witness a struggle to get the device up to par with expectations. Oddly, this is Google's, and I might add the approach of MANY other companies these days (Netgear, Cisco/Linksys, Roku,etc.). The fortunate thing, is we all know Google WILL come through, unlike many of the others...they have that track record. This seems a result of having a dominant Marketing department, pushing engineering into a public release before the kinks are worked out, for fear it gets lost in a maze of re-edits and never sees market light-of-day.

12. bsnedek

bsnedek New Member

Good day all,

I am new to your forum. I just purchased a Logitec Revue. Install was sweet and so far operates as advertised. The rumors about the software are just that rumors. Most of the manufacturers out there do regular software updates on their equipment. My Revue has done it twice now. Once before the install of remote equipment and one yesterday.

My family is enjoying Google Tv so far. I hope Google keeps up the hard work they have put into this product so far. Google hasn't let me down yet.

Thanks for you time
    Brad

• Like Like x 2
  13. sparkyscott21

A lot of all this is just here say, without facts.
    Some might hold up, true.
    But, just wait a short period, then the apps will be spilling out, then we will see what the nay sayers have to say then.
    Just wait a little and the [​IMG] will be the ones sweating it out.

14. alphawave7

Thanks for your positive input, Brad, and welcome! It's also a reminder that fora often see a disproportionate number of complaints to kudos, and today's media makes it's living often parroting others, adding a few of their own small 'bits and pieces', and more often than not, taking a negative slant towards the subject to generate pointless conflict/hits/traffic. ;)