Quantcast

Google TV Finally Gets Added To A TV Set-Top Box...In Korea

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 15, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google TV finally gets added to a TV set-top box... in Korea — Online Video News (click for full article)

BY Janko Roettgers

"Google has teamed up with LG UPlus to add its Google TV platform to the IPTV operator's set-top boxes. The collaboration comes with a marketing campaign featuring South Korea's new superstar PSY, but without any hardware from Google's own set-top box maker Motorola Mobility."

2. CatfishRivers

Korean IPTV service LG Uplus launches a Google TV-powered set-top box -- Engadget (click for full article)

By Richard Lawler posted Oct 15th 2012 10:12PM

"While we've seen the Google TV platform spread to additional manufacturers and some new lower-priced form factors, LG Uplus (not the same as LG Electronics) is the first we've seen offering a set-top box for its IPTV service based on it.

New and existing customers alike can opt for the U+TV G, which will blend live TV streams, video on-demand and Google TV apps. Rapper Psy will be playing a large part in a national campaign to promote the offering, and after making Korea the tenth country Google TV is available in, Google says it will continue to work with providers around the world.

Jumping inside the cable box is a notable move for the project, however at home hasn't significantly improved integration beyond that originally offered by Dish Network, and it's not even built into the Google Fiber set-top box. Check out a few (oddly silent?) demo videos embedded after the break."

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Of course we should hope this is a success and Google TV becomes huge in Korea. A product like this needs to catch on worldwide to succeed and if it happens in other countries first, that is OK with me. Once again, Google TV appears to have stalled in the US with not much effort being made to gain marketshare.

4. CatfishRivers

Yes I think there is a chance that Google TV could catch on with a few IPTV set-top boxes overseas. However I have my doubts that the Sony NSZ-ZS7 will be a big hit overseas. I see inititially in some countries the Sony box was only available bundled with an expensive Sony TV. The UK and Australian reviews in the press haven't been very positive. If the Hisense GTV box costs less than $99 and is available internationally, it will be a better seller.

IMO it doesn't seem likely that in the USA IPTV companies will be adding Google TV to set-top boxes. This is one big reason why Google is shopping around Motorola Mobility (the maker of cable set-top boxes). Google realized that companies like Comcast weren't interested.

It seems kind of strange that Google didn't have Motorola Mobility build the IPTV set-top box for the Korean company. Also a bit strange IMO that Google excluded GTV from it's own IPTV set-top box used in it's Kansas City fiber TV initiative.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I haven't heard anything further about the LG+ Google TV IPTV set top box, except vague claims that it is doing well in Korea.