Quantcast

Google TV Error- Any solution ideas before I return the Sony Blu Ray Player?

Discussion in 'Google TV Major Issues' started by GoogleTVTimeWarnerCable, Jan 1, 2011.

1. GoogleTVTimeWarnerCable

GoogleTVTimeWarnerCable New Member

Has anyone found a solution to using Google TV with Time Warner Cable and a Home Theater System that has an Audio Video Receiver?

1) I upgraded the DVR to a Motorola DCX3400, the best HD DVR availible through Time Warner Cable.
    2) Followed the Google TV Instructions- connected the DVR to the Sony Google TV Blu Ray player, to the AV Receiver to the TV all with HDMI cables.
    3) Issue #1 : The following error "The HD Content Protection of your Repeater has been compromised. All devices connected to the Repeater will not be authorized to receive video over the digital link."
    4) Issue #2: A green screen, and a screen of dots, flash intermittently with the tv picture with no sound.

Has anyone been able to set up Google TV with a Home Theatre System (AV Receiver) and Time Warner Cable per the Google TV Instructions? Any Helpful Ideas?

2. HTPCUser

HTPCUser New Member

Had the same issue with Cox.

I had to take the AV receiver out of the loop and and hook it up with an optical cable from the gtv box to the AV receiver to get sound. This fixed the picture issue.

Cox and Sony told me that there where to many pieces between the cable box and the tv.

hope this helps.

3. TheSanTechnologist

TheSanTechnologist New Member

There are a ton of posts about this topic. This "problem" is due to firmware on your Morotola STB that limits the number of downstream devices. This is an HDCP thing. The HDCP standard allows for a maximum of 7 devices in a single chain (124 devices in a mesh). I would complain to your provider about it. For the time being the only way around this is to remove your AVR from the HDMI chain, and use the SPDIF optical audio to your AVR for sound.

4. GoogleTVTimeWarnerCable

GoogleTVTimeWarnerCable New Member

My advice: If you want home theatre surround sound with Google TV and own an AV Receiver: 1) Return the Sony Blu Ray Player with Google TV and cut and paste the following technical support request to your cable provider. Maybe Google TV will someday work with home theatre and 3 inline HDMI connections but not in early 2011. SPDIF optical audio is not a real solution the sound quality is just not there like HDMI if you have invested in a home theatre system.

Summary of Issue: January 2011: A TMC DVR DX3400 cannot be connected by HDMI to a Sony Blu Ray Google TV Player, with a 2nd HDMI connection to the home theatre AV Receiver and a 3rd HDMI connection to the HDTV because the TWC Firmware prevents 2 or more HDCP HDMI connections at this time. I AM requesting a software update from TWC to allow 3 connections in line for HDMI devices. It should be easy to fix with a software update as the standard for HDCP HDMI allows up to 7 in line connections.
    I have contacted Motorola Tech Support about the HDCP Limit on the TWC DVR Model DCX3400. They stated that TWC would need to update the firmware as they have the bios for their rented DVR and control this setting. I also contacted Google TV Support and they confirmed until the cable provider updates the DVR firmware, Google TV and Home Theatre cannot be used over an HDMI Connection with TMC digital cable.
    I also contacted TWC Cable Technical Support, who stated there was no firmware update available.
    If you find this annoying...Here is the info to Log a technical support request to TWC.
    "When can TWC provide a Firmware Update for the Motorola DCX3400 to allow 2 or more devices to be connected to the HDCP standard of 7 devices? Enable the connection of Google TV to TMC by upgrading the firmware of the DCX3400 to allow HDMI Connection from the DCX3400 to the HDMI Sony Google TV Blu Ray Player to the HDMI home theatre AV Receiver To the HDMI HD TV. This would allow TMC to be used with Google TV and Home Theatre Systems.
    TMC Advantage: Jump ahead of #1 cable provider Cox and be competitive with Direct TV and Dish Network by enabling Google TV with home theatre. Please Let me know when a firmware upgrade is availible.
    Hopefully someday TWC tech support upgrades the firmware on the DCX3400 to remove the ERROR: "The HD Content Protection of your HD Repeater has been compromised. All devices connected to the Repeater will not be authorized to receive video over the digital link.
    I just want to log a technical support issue to make this firmware update and escalate the ticket as a priority for TWC to allow the use of Google TV in a few months.
    Please open a tech support issue and cut and paste the info above in and then email it to whoever is in charge of software upgrades and send me a ticket number I will call back in 60 days.
    Here is the reference URL to include from Google TV Support so the smart TWC software engineer can fix the issue in the next firmware update for the DCX3400. Put this in the ticket to help the software engineer fix the issue. http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-major-issues/737-google-tv-error-any-solution-ideas-before-i-return-sony-blu-ray-player.html
    Send me a copy of the ticket with ticket number and we have done as much as we can to help TWC work with Google TV.
    Hope this helps Google TV improve to the level of home theatre with HDMI in 2011.

5. TheSanTechnologist

TheSanTechnologist New Member

I would like to understand how HDMI based audio is better then TOKLINK delivered audio? Both are digital signals?

edit: I should be more clear in my question. If both are sending the same audio signal, aren't the both equal? I know HDMI supports higher bandwitdh for different audio streams, however, comparing 2 streams of the same type they should both be handled the same by an AVR.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  6. Malachi42

Malachi42 New Member

TOSLINK uses S/PDIF data layer which does not support newer audio formats such as the uncompressed TrueHD audio found on Blu-ray discs.

7. galfert

galfert Active Member

So here is the best way to have your cake and eat it too...
    Return the Sony Google TV.
    Buy the Logitech Revue Google TV.
    bypass the Receiver and go straight to the TV from the Revue
    Use TOSLINK for audio from TV to Reciever.
    Buy a separate Blu-ray Player and connect to Receiver for TrueHD audio from Blu-ray discs.

Just a personal feeling but the Revue seems to me like it is a better device than the Sony Google TV: ...advantages of the Revue: Harmony remote integration (IR receiver), Full cable box support including A, B, C, D keys, TV Cam support, up till now it seems as though Logitech is squashing bugs with updates quicker than Sony, Dolby Digital 5.1, big keyboard standard with option for small backlit keyboard, no lag in IR blaster, no annoying Michael Jackson and Qriosity icons. I can't even think of one thing the Sony does better other than have built in Blu-ray that you don't have to switch inputs for.