Quantcast

Google TV Community closing on Google

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by trallyus, Feb 3, 2017.

1. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Just a heads up that I finally decided to close the Google TV Community at
    https://plus.google.com/communities/103154508693468858359

I thought some here may be interested since when I got stumped there on something I suggested they stop over here and ask there questions so I wanted to make sure everyone gets the news that I or others that were members helped over there.

If you are not a member there no need to try joining now as due to closing it down I am no longer accepting new members.

If you are a member feel free to stop over and read the pinned post if possible to read the long answer why I decided to close it.

Short answer is basically too many spammers and the time it takes to keep them from flooding the community due to how huge it is and the problem people have with Google TV's when they reset them to factory defaults now and the problems they have from not having a certain needed server up and running and basically many of the members moved on to something better that Google actually supports.

If you were a member there I am so glad to have tried to help you out there and Glad you were a member and wish everyone the best that was a member.

Tom

2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

So I asked for some help about how to keep all the google tv community safe now and make it read only and Andrew Hatchett suggested I do the following which is what I will probably be doing since there is a lot of great advice there by others that may still help Google TV users in the future.

His suggestion was as follows -

The easiest way is this:
    1). Pin a message at the top of the community that all requests to join will henceforth be ignored.
    2). Remove (but not ban) all members except yourself from the community.

You can then reject those who still ask to join whenever you want to.

This will maintain all posts already in the community and make it like a read only bulletin board.

That is what I plan on doing so if you are a member there and find you were removed , that is why as I will be removing everyone over time so the contents stay intact and it is basically a read only board.

Again I want to thank everyone that found the place and thanks for adding to it.

3. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

The community is finally closed like we original moderators wanted to be remembered and if you were a member there we made sure to show how much you meant to us all even if you felt like it was useless after support was officially dropped and thought your love back then of it was wasted for those that took effort to ask stuff publically and the many others that simply joined and never posted and looked on as lurkers for fear of asking some stupid or dumb question and feeling humiliated for the way you may feel from taking those first steps on a message board and feeling that with how you took the answer based on past experiences from people that don't know how stuff affects others that come in and out of their lives.

I hope if you ever were there you take time to check it out and make sure to let people know that we closed finally as still people are asking to join from finding links I can no longer update that keep asking to join for some reason but may not know due to missing the message from not getting the message.

You don't know how much you guys made it last long even after official support was done with and hope all of you get you fifteen minutes of fame that were there and took part as the team made one last post to all of you and it's long but that is only because I want to make sure nothing is forgotten for those both big and small and keep us all alive that were part of that group.

I hope the last post made there makes you all proud as teamwork pays off even for the so called new ones that may worry about what others think and not think how little stuff like that makes some like what they do.

Off to enjoy some rest myself and catch up on shows but want to make sure boards like this that people come to are appreciated by us because we were all feeling stupid at one time or another from not knowing the same stuff others did and learning over time how to behave without getting thrown off for something we did not know from lack of experience.

Peace!

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the effort that you put into that community. My Logitech Revue finally died several months ago (when I tried a factory reset) - and then I couldn't get past a server issue on the set-up process. So I bought a chromebox and I'm enjoying that experience now.

It's a shame what has happened recently with the LG Google TVs. I was reading in your Google+ GTV community how a bunch of people with the LG GTVs can't scan for channels after doing a factory reset. Thus in essence they're left with a rather expensive TV (that's not very old) and can only get like one channel (channel 3). Quite a fiasco and of course Google blames LG and LG blames Google.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Yep that is why I bought the new 4k tv after that and tried my best to make sure for google to notice the downed server that I believe was needed for the channel data to get back to the tv's based on zip code to tell the software what channels to look up I believe it is supposed to do.

I wanted to give everyone there as we all did the respect they deserve even when google was going to delete it as I know many here came here due to me being here and there and appreciating boards like these that come and go and move on and the users feel like more have could been done to save all the posts to keep the stuff they shared for others to find later and you guys not having to start over again being treated like new guys when your name is forgotten except by people that have seen it time and again and know how it feels being felt out on if you know your stuff or are new or some trouble maker that for reasons only they know do what they do to be noticed and depends on people not remembering a nick he used to stir the pot and once the board was gone goes and does it all again elsewhere.

Appreciate the thanks for us all that did what we did to make sure places like this and there get the love back they deserve for treating everyone as the same without forming oppinions thinking someone is new due to them never seeing the nick or name they use from it being lost due to time.

Forgot to mention it's not just LG tv's affected but may be all first generation tv's that get reset as my Hisense did that too.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017